Scientists just found the KEY to happiness. And even though it’s just one tiny, simple thing you could do to instantly improve your life . . . you’re still going to think it’s too much to ask.
Researchers in Scotland found that the secret to true happiness is . . . turning off your phone at 10:00 P.M. That’s it.
They found that when you use your phone later than that, it messes with your body’s rhythms . . . and your head.
People who use their phones late at night and right before bed were much more likely to have all sorts of problems . . . including loneliness, depression, and sleep issues.
So by cutting yourself off at 10:00 P.M., it gives you time to wind down without all of the chaos from social media . . . and it stops blasting you with the blue light from your phone that can confuse your body and keep you from falling asleep.
Do you want to go for a run outdoors . . . but still be able to watch TV like you’re on a treadmill at a gym instead of enjoying the scenery and nature?
There’s a health club in England that’s offering a new workout program where you run outside behind a personal trainer . . . who has an iPad strapped to his back.
So if you keep up with him, you can see whatever show you’re streaming. And you wear wireless headphones so you can listen to it too. Plus you get to feel like a donkey chasing after a carrot on a stick, so that’s exciting.
There’s no word on how popular the new exercise program is, or if anyone’s planning to import it here to America. But I think we’ll be fine without it.
- “Deadpool 2” (R-Rated, Action/Comedy): (Josh Brolin, Ryan Reynolds)
- “Book Club” (PG-13, Comedy): Four lifelong friends have their lives forever changed after reading ‘50 Shades of Grey’ in their monthly book club. (Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen, Mary Steenburgen)
- “Show Dogs” (PG, Comedy/Kids): Max, a macho, solitary Rottweiler police dog, is ordered to go undercover as a primped show dog in a prestigious Dog Show, along with his human partner, to avert a disaster from happening. (Will Arnett, Alan Cumming, Stanley Tucci, Natasha Lyonne)
- “NASCAR Day”, a celebration of NASCAR drivers, celebrities, corporate partners, media and millions of fans coming together to raise funds for charitable causes
2001  Animated hit “Shrek” is released in movie theaters and goes on to rack up $484 million in worldwide box office (Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, and Cameron Diaz later reprise their roles in 3 sequels, released in 2004, 2007, and 2010)
COUNTRY MUSIC NOTE
MAY 18th, 1996 Brooks & Dunn’s single “My Maria,” a cover of the 1973 B.W. Stevenson pop hit, went to Number One in 1996.
If You Hate Vegetables, Here’s the Only One You Need to Eat
Everyone knows vegetables are good for you. But if you HATE them, a doctor in the U.K. claims you can get away with only eating ONE TYPE.
A doctor in England recently suggested that if you only eat one vegetable . . . it should be BROCCOLI.
It’s largely because it promotes healthy gut bacteria, which helps your immune system. And healthy gut bacteria has even been linked to a lower risk of mental-health issues.
Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable. (kroo-SIFF-er-us) It’s in the same family as kale, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. And those types of vegetables have also been linked to lower rates of cancer. Especially colon cancer and lung cancer.
It might have to do with a compound called sulforaphane. (sulfur-AFF-ane) Researchers have found evidence that it can stop a certain enzyme that helps cancer cells grow.
And broccoli also has a ton of vitamin K in it, which helps you absorb calcium and makes your bones stronger.
So if you hate vegetables, maybe just try to choke down some broccoli. And if you LOVE broccoli, keep doing what you’re doing. But obviously mixing in a few other vegetables is even better.
TODAY’S GOOD NEWS
There’s an older lady named Barbara Foy who lives near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
And she has a son, but they’re estranged.
She’s hasn’t heard from him in a while, and he didn’t call her on Mother’s Day this year. But she decided to go out for a Mother’s Day lunch anyway, and showed up at a Ruby Tuesday by HERSELF on Sunday.
She was all dressed up and looked great. So it was kind of heartbreaking.
But when the staff found out what was going on, they put together a gift basket for her and filled it with a bunch of good stuff.
Then the manager comped her entire meal, so she didn’t have to pay for anything. And another customer even gave her a ROSE.
Barbara says she was feeling pretty low when she walked in there. But they turned it into a GREAT day for her, and really made her feel special.
 George Strait, semi-retired country singer
 Tina Fey, TV actress-writer-
 David Nail, Country singer
MAKING IT RAIN AT THE WEDDING:
If you have plans to attend a wedding this summer, you’ll once again be faced with the age old question: How much money to give the happy couple as a wedding gift?
It’s a common source of anxiety among wedding-goers, and it’s a question that comes with some risk. You don’t want to seem cheap, but at the same time, if you have several weddings to attend, or if you are incurring other expenses associated with the wedding, like a travel, accommodation, a ‘Stag & Doe’ party, or purchasing clothing as a member of the wedding party, things can really add up.
Tracey Manailescu, the vice-president of the Wedding Planners Institute of Canada, advises guests to add a bit extra to what the wedding venue charges per plate, which she says can sometimes be found by searching online. If a typical plate is $150, then your gift should be around $175. Of course, if you’re very close to the couple, you’d want to increase that to the $250 range. If they have opted for a wedding registry, you’d apply that amount to a gift.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have handed royal wedding guests a seven-page document outlining rules for the big day. Here are some highlights:
✗ Guests are advised that there are very limited toilet facilities in St George’s Chapel, but these are available for guests’ use between 9-11am, at which point this facility will become restricted for the duration of the service.
✗ No swords.
✗ Passports are a must.
✗ Hats are encouraged
✗ Guests are not to bring wedding gifts to the ceremony or reception. Delivery should be organized beforehand by those who have chosen to give the couple a present.
✗ Meghan and Harry have requested that their guests make a donation to a charity in lieu of presents, outlining seven different causes they have suggested people can make donations to.
- Veggie burgers were invented at roughly the same time as hamburgers. They both show up in cookbooks from the late 1800s.
- Wasabi was originally eaten with sushi to kill bacteria, not for its flavor. That’s not necessary now with modern sanitary conditions . . . but people still eat it out of habit.
- “M*A*S*H” was set during the Korean War . . . and lasted almost four times longer on TV than the Korean War itself. “M*A*S*H”lasted 11 years, the Korean War lasted three
- There are more tigers in Americans’ backyards than in the wild. There are only 3,200 tigers in the wild . . . and more than 4,000 being kept as exotic pets.
FRIDAY, MAY 18TH, 2018
Bike To Work Day
- NHL PLAYOFFS:
Tampa Bay Lightning 4, Washington Capitals 2 — Series tied at 2-2.
Winnipeg vs Las Vegas (Las Vegas leads the series 2 – 1)
- “Deadpool 2” is out today. Ryan Reynolds’superhero movie is up the romantic comedy “Book Club”, and the Will Arnettmovie “Show Dogs”.
- The guy who made the original “Laurel/Yanny” recording for Vocabulary.com is a singer and actor named Jay Aubry Jones. Now we finally know what he thinks about it . . . and what he hears when he listens to the clip.
- 4. Someone caught a video of a guy slipping and sliding down a flight of stairs into the Thames River in London, and it’s so funny that it’s even funny just to listen to the camera guy laughing about it. Apparently the steps were covered in algae or slime or something, and they were so slippery that the guy couldn’t stop himself.
- You’re looking for the perfect gift for that special lady in your life, but you know it has to be more valuable than anything she’s ever gotten. Look no further . . . you need to give her gasoline.
RUSSELL DICKERSON TREASURES SUPPORT FROM FAMOUS FRIENDS – (05/16/2018)
Russell Dickerson had an instant fan base in his good friends and fellow artists like Thomas Rhett and Florida Georgia Line members Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard. Before too many people even knew who he was, both acts chatted him up on social media and even invited him to hit the road.
Russell continues on Thomas’ Life Changes tour.
DIERKS BENTLEY KICKS OFF ‘MOUNTAIN HIGH’ TOUR TONIGHT – (05/18/2018)
Dierks Bentley kicks off his Mountain High tour tonight (Friday, May 18th) in Columbia, MD with special guest Brothers Osborne and LANCO. The tour runs straight through the fall, wrapping up in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Bowl on October 13th.
Dierks tells us that for him, this tour is more about ensuring a great time for all than anything else, so his opening acts were an important choice.
Dierks’ new studio album, The Mountain, will arrive in stores on June 8th.
SAM HUNT RELEASES NEW SINGLE ‘DOWNTOWN’S DEAD’ – (05/17/2018)
Sam Hunt has finally released new music. The song “Downtown’s Dead” was released Wednesday.
“Downtown’s Dead” is the first new single from Sam since last year’s 5X Platinum-selling “Body Like A Back Road,” which held the Number One spot on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for 34 weeks, setting the record for the most weeks at Number One in the six-decade history of the chart.
Sam is nominated for the Billboard Chart Achievement Award, Top Country Artist and Top Country Male Artist at this weekend’s Billboard Music Awards. The show airs live on Sunday (May 20th) at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.
Sam hits the road this month as a special guest on Luke Bryan’s What Makes You Country Tour – XL Stadium Sized along with Jon Pardi and opening artists Morgan Wallen (May-Aug) and Carly Pearce (Sep-Oct) beginning on May 31st at Rogers Centre in Toronto, ON.