- “German-American Day”, honoring the likes of Albert Einstein, Lou Gehrig, John Steinbeck, and Levi Strauss. In fact, German-Americans make up 16% of the total US population.
ON THIS DATE……………..
1927, the world’s first movie with sound, Al Jolson’s The Jazz Picture, debuted
1945, Bill Sianis and his pet billy goat were ejected from Wrigley Field during Game 4 of the 1945 World Series .. and so began the Curse of the Billy Goat
1990, Alan Jackson made his first appearance on the Grand Ole Opry
1996, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw were married
2000, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation premiered on CBS
Actress – Elizabeth Shue (52)
Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy (60)
★ Add “Lethal Weapon” to the list of movies getting the TV treatment. FOX-TV has given the go-ahead for a pilot based on the 1987 action pic that starred Mel Gibson & Danny Glover. The TV incarnation revolves around the unlikely partnership between a former Navy SEAL and a Texas cop who moves to LA. TV networks have been scrambling lately to grab movie titles for TV adaptations due to their built-in name recognition. CBS-TV has a “Rush Hour” redo coming mid-season and ABC-TV has a comedy on tap based on the 1989 John Candy movie “Uncle Buck”.– Variety.com
– The Consumerist claims Nabisco may be developing an Oreo cookie with cupcake filling. Nabisco has yet to confirm the story
– Staples will not open on Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. Instead, their Black Friday sale will begin at 6 a.m. the following day
★ TV action classic “MacGyver” (1985-92) is getting a revival as CBS-TV has officially put a new series into active development. The re-imagining of the series follows a 20-something ‘MacGyver’ as he gets recruited into a clandestine organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening. The pilot is being helmed by “Furious 7″ director James Wan. “MacGyver” joins a long list of older shows being dusted off and revived, including “The X-Files”, “Twin Peaks”, “Prison Break”, and “Heroes”.– EW.com
- Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum Fundraiser (NYC) – Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Emmylou Harris, and Vince Gill are taking part in tonight’s ‘guitar pull’ at Best Buy Theater. They’ll take turns singing and telling the stories behind their songs. Tickets are $1,000 a pop!
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
• “Dark Places” ( R-Rated Mystery Thriller ): Charlize Theron produces and stars in this bigscreen adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s best-selling novel. The story centers around a woman who testifies against her brother, accusing him of killing their family. 25 years later she’s forced to re-live the gruesome past. “Mad Men” actress Christina Hendricks co-stars.
- “Magic Mike XXL” ( R-Rated Dramedy ): This sequel to the 2012 film picks up 3 years after ‘Mike’ bowed out of the stripper life at the top of his game. He and the remaining ‘Kings of Tampa’ hit the road to Myrtle Beach SC to put on one last blow-out performance. Stars Channing Tatum, Joe Manganiello, Matt Bomer, Adam Rodriguez.
- “Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!” (NR TV Movie) – In yet another cheesy sequel, Washington DC is the site of the latest shark crisis. Stars Ian Ziering & Tara Reid are back, alongside the likes of Bo Derek, David Hasselhoff, Jerry Springer, Kathie Lee Gifford, and Mark Cuban … as the US president.
Slow News Day? – University Student Looks for Missing Blanket
An 18-year-old Pennsylvania girl has taken to social media for help finding something very dear to her heart. “Every night I sleep with it. Every night. So it’s been a rough couple of nights without it,” says 18-year old Brooke McGlade who can’t keep her mind off of something very dear to heart that she lost.
She says she left it on a Septa train when she left her dorm at Temple to go home to Brookhaven for the weekend. “I was shocked at first. I immediately started crying in the car to my sister then I called my mom right away and told her. My mom was like which bag was it my expensive laptop?
And I was like no it’s worse. It’s my poo blanket,” said Brooke. You heard her right. Brooke lost her Winnie the Pooh blanket. But’s it’s not just any old blanket. “The blanket was actually my comforter when I was a new born baby. That’s what I slept with when I came home from the hospital and I have been obsessed with it. It has been by my side all the years since so it’s very close to me and I really haven’t gone this long without it ever,” she said. Brooke says it was stuffed inside a pink and white Marshalls reusable bag along with some laundry, a makeup bag and phone charger.
She says she placed it in the overhead bin where she was sitting on the train. “It’s definitely worn down. It’s white-ish. It used to be white, giant hole in the center, stuffing ripped out and tons of stains. It also has a faded image of Winnie the Pooh on it.” It may not look like much but Brooke says it’s sentimental to her.
Flower Girl and Ring Bearer from a Wedding Got Married 17 Years Later
A couple named Brooke and Adrian Franklin got married two weeks ago in Gastonia, North Carolina, outside Charlotte.
She’s 21, he’s 22. And they’re in the news because they first met when they were the flower girl and the ring bearer in the SAME WEDDING 17 years ago.
Brooke says she liked Adrian immediately, and they went to the same school, so she tried to talk to him all the time. But they were only FIVE . . . and he thought girls were gross back then.
He eventually changed his mind in middle school, and they’ve been dating since they were 13 or 14. But somehow, they didn’t remember they were in the wedding together until their OWN wedding.
Someone from the wedding 17 years ago was also a guest at THEIR wedding last month, and brought photos of them walking down the aisle together back in the day.
And both weddings took place in the SAME CHURCH.
Couple Gave Away Fake TNT as Wedding Favors, and Caused an Airport Evacuation
A couple got married a few weeks ago in Denver and made wedding favors that were FAKE BOMBS. The bride and groom both had names that started with “T,” so they made “TNT” . . . get it? T-and-T.
They took mason jars and filled them with bath salts . . . the kind you bathe with, not the kind that makes you want to bite off a homeless person’s nose. Then they put red wax seals on top and a fake “fuse” sticking out. And “TNT” was printed on the side.
Unfortunately, when their guests were flying home from Denver, the TSA found the party favors, and the entire airport was EVACUATED for 20 minutes.
The bottles were all confiscated, and you can’t REALLY blame the TSA on this one. But let’s face it, EVERYTHING they do makes them look stupid.
- The most lucrative type of gambling for Vegas casinos is . . . slot machines. 61% of their revenue comes from slots.
- Between 75% and 90% of the dust in your house is from you and your family’s dead skin cells.
- The U.S. is the reigning Olympic rugby champion, since they won gold the last time it was an Olympic sport . . . in 1924. It’s coming back for the Olympics next year, and odds are the U.S. will NOT win gold.
- The movie“Frozen” is based off Hans Christian Andersen’s story “The Snow Queen” . . . and Disney had been trying to adapt it into a movie on and off since the 1930s.