- “Canning Day”, honoring the 1752 birth of French chef/chemist Nicolas Appert, who came up with the concept of sealing perishable food in jars. For this, he is known as ‘the father of canning’, but he also came up with many other inventions … including the bouillon cube.
- “Do-It-Yourself Day”, celebrating all the handy folks who spend time, money, and sweat on home repairs … just before calling in someone who knows what they’re doing.
- “TV Talk Show Host Day”, to celebrate those ‘gifted with the personality and intellect to enable them to bring out the best in their guests’. It’s an annual observance on the birth anniversary of iconic talk show host Johnny Carson in 1925. Who’s today’s best?
ON THIS DATE……………
1814, the world’s first modern-day plastic surgery operation was performed in Chelsea, England
1995, Def Leppard entered the Guinness Book Of World Records by playing three concerts on three continents in 24 hours. They played Tangier, London and Vancouver
2001  1st Apple ‘iPod’ is unveiled, which goes on sale on November 10th for $399
Actor – Ryan Reynolds (39)
Country singer Jimmy Wayne (43)
Former CFL/NFL QB – Doug Flutie (53)
Country singer – Dwight Yoakum (59)
★ “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (opening December 18th) has broken website Fandango’s advance ticket sales record this week, selling 8 times as many tickets as it did on the first day of sales for the previous record-holder, “The Hunger Games”. Movie theaters are continually adding new show times on Fandango to meet the high demand. The enthusiasm for this year’s most anticipated movie has become phenomenal, as several ticketing sites were overloaded and temporarily shut down when tickets first became available. The film has also broken pre-sales records in Europe.
– Bang Showbiz
New Movies Opening This Weekend
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (Rated R) … STARRING: Chris J. Murray, Brit Shaw … a video game designer and his family move into a new house where they find video tapes showing sisters being terrorized by their demonic grandmother
The Last Witch Hunter (Rated PG-13) … STARRING: Vin Diesel, Elijah Wood … an immortal witch hunter teams up with a beautiful female witch to stop New York City witches from destroying humanity
Rock the Kasbah (Rated R) … STARRING: Bill Murray, Kate Hudson, Zooey Deschanel, Danny McBride, Scott Caan … a washed-up rock manager (Bill Murray) takes his last remaining client on a USO tour of Afghanistan. He meets an Afghan girl and helps her compete on Afghanistan’s version of American Idol.
“Steve Jobs” ( R-Rated Biographical Drama Expands Wide ): Michael Fassbender stars as the late CEO of Apple. Director Danny Boyle’s film is set backstage at 3 iconic product launches, ending in 1998 with the unveiling of the iMac. Co-stars Kate Winslet, Seth Rogen, Jeff Daniels. Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin.
- Blake Shelton – Today he releases the compilation album “Reloaded: 20 #1 Hits”.
- Carrie Underwood – Her 5th studio album, “Storyteller”, arrives today. It features the lead single “Smoke Break”.
- Jason Aldean – Saturday his 10th annual Concert For the Cure is staged in West Palm Beach FL as part of his “2015 Burn It Down Tour”. Proceeds go to the Susan G Komen breast cancer foundation in South Florida.
- Jennifer Nettles – Tonight she kicks off her “Playing With Fire Tour” in Atlanta GA.
100-Year-Old Woman Still Works Six Days a Week
There’s a 100-year-old woman in New York named Felimina Rotundo. She owns a laundromat across the street from the University of Buffalo called the College Laundry Shoppe. And she still works there 11 hours a day, six days a week.
She turned 100 in August, but she’s at the laundromat every day Monday through Saturday, from 7 A.M. to 6 P.M.
She got her first job in 1930 when she was 15, and she’s been working ever since. She says the Great Depression forced her to grow up fast and develop a good work ethic.
And she also doesn’t plan on retiring anytime soon. She says as long as she can walk, she’ll keep working. And thinks a lot of people retire too early. Unless you have health problems, she doesn’t think anyone should retire before they’re 75.
So her advice for other seniors is to, quote, “get out and DO something,” because sitting around all day isn’t good for you.
Cops Bust a Drunk Burglar Because She’s Covered in Cupcake Frosting
A woman in Alpena, Michigan got HAMMERED on Sunday night, and broke into a house.
Then she rampaged through the place and knocked over a bunch of stuff, including a tray of cupcakes.
But the noise woke someone up, and they chased her out of the house . . . then called the cops.
And as the police drove around looking for a burglar on the run, they spotted a woman . . . and KNEW she was the one they were looking for.
Because according to the police report, quote, “[she] had cupcake frosting and cake all over her torso and legs.”
She was arrested and charged with unlawful entry and malicious destruction of property.
- Michael was either the most popular name for boys in the U.S. or the second-most popular from 1954 to 2008.
- The term “trick-or-treat” is from Canada. The first time in recorded history it was ever used was in a newspaper in Blackie, Alberta in 1927.
- There are 18 countries in the world with no rivers. Saudi Arabia is by far the biggest . . . it’s 830,000 square miles, and there are zero rivers.
- Kenneth Branagh was the first person to be nominated for an Oscar in five different categories: Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Live Action Short Film.