- “English Language Day”, celebrating the date in 1362 when the Chancellor of the United Kingdom opened Parliament with a speech in English for the first time, a landmark in its development as a world language. English is now considered by many to be THE world language, and is often the second language of choice in non-English countries.
ON THIS DATE…………
1990  Mike Seipel sets a Guinness World Record in Jacksonville, Florida with a jump of 76 feet, 5 inches while waterskiing barefoot
1998, The NBA canceled the first two weeks of its regular season because of a lockout
2010  The ‘Chilean Miners’ arrive at the surface after surviving a record 69 days underground in Copiapo, Chile awaiting rescue (all 33 survive what had become a worldwide fixation)
Sacha Baron Cohen aka Borat (44)
Country singer/songwriter – Rhett Atkins (46)
Skater – Nancy Kerrigan (46)
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones (73)
Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy served a four-game suspension for a domestic violence incident, but he’s still playing. The guys talked about it on Fox’s “NFL Sunday” yesterday, and Terry Bradshaw had some STRONG opinions. Including his impression of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. He said he hopes that eventually we “never have a place in the NFL for people that strike a woman.”
“Pan” Bombed, and “The Martian” Stayed on Top at the Box Office
Peter Pan couldn’t take down MATT DAMON at the box office. “Pan” was pretty much a dud, taking in $15.5 million on a $150 million budget, and landing in third place. “The Martian” stayed on top, with another $37 million.
- “The Martian”, $37 million. Up to $108.7 million in its 2nd week.
- “Hotel Transylvania 2”, $20.3 million. Up to $116.8 million in its 3rd week.
- NEW: “Pan”, $15.5 million.
- “The Intern”, $8.7 million. Up to $49.6 million in its 3rd week.
- “Sicario”, $7.4 million. Up to $26.7 million in its 4th week.
– Variety magazine claims AMC’s “Fear the Walking Dead’ had the highest-rated first season in cable TV history. The show averaged over 11 million viewers a week
– Panasonic has created a robot that does laundry. The ‘laundroid’ can wash and dry clothes as well as fold and sort them. The laundroid will be available for purchase next year.
- “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Country singers Charles Kelley (Lady Antebellum), Dierks Bentley, and Eric Paslay perform “The Driver”.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
• “The Gallows” ( R-Rated Horror Thriller ): 20 years after a horrific accident during a school play, students resurrect the failed show in a misguided attempt to honor the anniversary of the tragedy. They soon discover that some things are better left alone. Stars newcomers Reese Mishler, Pfeifer Brown, Ryan Shoos, Cassidy Gifford.
- “San Andreas” ( PG-13 Action Thriller ): Dwayne Johnson stars as a rescue-chopper pilot who makes a dangerous journey across California in the aftermath of a massive earthquake in order to save his estranged daughter. Along the way he helps rescue many, many others. Co-stars Carla Gugino, Alexandra Daddario.
- “Tomorrowland” ( PG Action Adventure ) – Brad Bird (“Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol”) directs, George Clooney & Britt Robertson co-star, and the two reluctant partners in this deadly adventure find themselves traveling to a place caught between time and space. Yes, the film shares its title with a Disney theme park; just don’t expect something Disney-fied.
Guy Found Out He Had a Tumor After Getting Attacked by a Shark
A guy from Massachusetts named Eugene Finney was vacationing in Huntington Beach, California in July, when he got rammed in the back by a shark.
Luckily it didn’t bite him, but he ended up with a foot-long scrape on his back. Then after he got home, he was having back and chest pains. So he went to the emergency room, and they found some internal bruising.
But while they were running tests, they also found a cancerous TUMOR on his kidney about the size of a walnut.
Doctors removed it about two weeks ago, and say he probably won’t need radiation or chemo because they caught it so early. (CBS Boston)
Couple Posted an Engagement Photo on Facebook . . . That Accidentally Showed Their Pregnancy Test
This couple didn’t just tell the world that they got engaged . . . they accidentally told the world WHY they got engaged.
A woman named Miranda Levy got engaged this week, and posted a photo on Facebook of her and her new fiancé sitting on the couch, showing off her ring.
But apparently she was in such a hurry to share the news that she didn’t realize the photo also had another detail . . . the box for a PREGNANCY TEST was sitting next to her in the corner of the photo.
Her friends all picked up on it pretty quickly, and started asking if she was pregnant too. So about 40 minutes after she posted the engagement photo, she posted, quote, “Hey guys, we’re having a baby too.”
THINGS THAT MAKE YA GO HMMMM:
• 61% of us say ‘I love you’ regularly via smart phone, but only 20% in person.
- 60% of people lie 6 times per hour. That’s one lie every 10 minutes.
- 31% of pet owners have cooked a meal for their pet.
- 30% of sports fans have cried at a sporting event when their team lost.
- 22% of teens admit to regularly getting up in the middle of the night to use social media.
- 8% of women own 10 or more perfumes.
- The founder of Hershey’s chocolate was Milton Hershey. But he tried to make caramels for 17 years, before he got interested in chocolate in 1893.
- English is only the third most popular language in the world. More people speak Chinese and Spanish.
- TheSpice Girls got their nicknames from a magazine. A British magazine called “Top of the Pops” did a story on them in 1996 and the writer and illustrator included a cartoon of them in a spice rack, labeled Ginger, Scary, Sporty, Baby, and Posh.
- The Titanic sank in 1912, but the last survivor was alive until six years ago. Millvina Dean was two months old when her family went on the Titanic . . . she survived on a life boat and died in 2009 at age 97.
The 10 Little Things That Make a Bad Day Better
A new survey found 90% of people think it’s the LITTLE things that can make a bad day better. Here are the top 10 . . .
- Doing a good deed for someone.
- Having a stranger do a random act of kindness for you.
- Finding a bargain.
- Getting a spontaneous hug.
- Getting a compliment from a stranger.
- A car stopping so you can cross the street.
- Being greeted by your pet.
- Getting a handwritten letter.
- Hearing a good song on the radio.
- A stranger saying hello.
• “I Am Pilgrim” – “Kingsman: The Secret Service” director Matthew Vaughn is set to produce and direct this terrorism thriller based on Terry Hayes’ 2014 best-selling novel of the same name. ‘Pilgrim’ is the code name for a retired espionage agent who’s called back into service. MGM is envisioning the film as the start of a franchise. Filming is scheduled to begin next year.
- “Road House” – UFC fighter Ronda Rousey is stepping into the role Patrick Swayze made famous in a remake of the 1980s cult classic. Released in 1989, the original film starred Swayze as a bouncer hired to clean up one of the rowdiest, loudest bars in Missouri. Production on the redo is set to begin in 2016.