- “International Literacy Day”, established by the UN in 1965 to promote reading & writing programs. Worldwide, 1-in-5 adults are illiterate, and 75 million children are not in school. Millions of young people leave school without a level of literacy adequate for productive and active participation in today’s information society.
- “Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses Day”, honoring the special RNs who are dedicated to providing the highest standard of care to patients with cancer and blood disorders.
- “World Physical Therapy Day”, initiated in 1951 to recognize the work that physical therapists do for their patients and community.
ON THIS DATE………
1930, Scotch tape was developed
1966, Star Trek first aired
1986, Oprah premiered
1998, Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals broke Roger Maris’ record for home runs in a single season .. he hit No. 62 off Chicago Cubs pitcher Steve Trachsel.
2014  Prince William & Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, announce they are expecting their 2nd child (Princess Charlotte); baby Prince George has celebrated his 1st birthday just 2 months previously
– A Beverly Hills estate is selling for $135 million. It has “360-degree views of Los Angeles, eight bedrooms, $2.5 million of Baccarat chandeliers, hand-woven carpets, a pool, gold-leaf ceilings and a ballroom
– Brobible claims someone has purchased LeBron James’ Miami home for $13.4 million. It has six bedrooms, a game room, a theater, a wine cellar, an infinity pool and a dock
- Luke Bryan – When his brother-in-law died late last year, Luke took his nephew and 2 nieces in and made them part of the family. He admits to “People” that it was hard for everyone, but his own 2 boys have now adjusted just fine.
– AMC is planning a web special based on The Walking Dead. The story will revolve around a zombie outbreak on a plane. E! claims one character will survive and join ”Fear The Walking Dead” for season two
- Kenny Chesney – He’s donated another $100,000 to his Spread the Love fund at the Boston Medical Center to help pay for prosthetics for those who lost limbs in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. To date, Chesney’s fund has given away $400,000 to victims of the attack.
– TMZ claims Matt Stonie defeated Joey Chestnut in a rib eating contest on Wednesday. Stonie downed 10.5 pounds of ribs in 12 minutes. Chestnut ate 9.75 pounds
– Bette Midler Tweet of the Day: “Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence are co-writing a screenplay about sisters. Hmm, who could play their mother? She’d have to be DIVINE!”
- Johnny Depp and Julia Roberts have emerged as early Oscars frontrunners in a new online poll. The Fandango survey selects Depp’s performance in “Black Mass” (September 18) and Roberts’ role in “Secret In Their Eyes” (November 20) as the most likely acting roles to be award-worthy. Meanwhile, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2″ (November 20) has been picked as the season’s most anticipated upcoming movie. Pixar’s “The Good Dinosaur” (November 25) has been voted the most anticipated family film. – WENN.com
• “Cash Music Television” (CMT) – Kid Rock hosts this week-long Johnny Cash tribute, marking the 12th anniversary of his death. Tonight the bio-pic “Walk the Line” airs; Friday a tribute special from today’s country stars; Saturday the premiere of the new documentary film “Johnny Cash: American Rebel”.
- “Late Show With Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global) – Colbert’s debut as he takes over for David Letterman. His first interview is actor George Clooney; Jon Batiste, the show’s new music director-bandleader, performs.
- “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Keith Urban
- Carrie Underwood – She has a busy week in NYC this week, presenting her CALIA by Carrie Underwood Fall collection at New York Fashion Week; serving as a guest judge on “Project Runway” (Lifetime); and doing “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” this Thursday.
- Garth Brooks – A plan to record a 25th anniversary version of his breakthrough hit “Friends in Low Places” has run into a legal roadblock due to problems with royalty payments. The new rendition was to include Florida Georgia Line, George Strait, Jason Aldean, and Keith Urban but it seems the idea is now dead in the water.
Dog Fell 14 Stories, and a Stranger Caught It
A guy in Portland, Oregon named Ted Nelson looked out his window on Monday, and saw a dog had slipped through a railing on a 14th floor balcony across the street.
The dog was a five-year-old Bichon Frise named Mordy. (It’s pronounced ‘bee-szhawn free-zay.) And as soon as Ted saw him on the edge of the balcony, he ran across the street to yell up to the owners.
But while he was standing there, Mordy lost his balance . . . fell 14 stories . . . and Ted CAUGHT him. Bichons aren’t big dogs . . . they usually weigh about ten pounds. But that’s not tiny either.
Ted says Mordy hit him in the chest, so he tried to grab him with his arms. But he slipped through and landed on the ground. Still, that slowed him down enough, and he survived.
Ted and his girlfriend rushed him to a vet, but Mordy only ended up with a few bumps and bruises. His owners say they’re extremely thankful Ted did what he did. Apparently they had no idea the railing was big enough for him to fit through.
Ted’s okay too, and he’s actually done something like this before. He saw a cat about to fall off a balcony in the same building last year. But that time the owners heard him yelling and grabbed it before it fell.
Guy Fakes His Own Kidnapping to Get His Ex’s Attention . . . But Gets Caught When He Complains About the Lack of Media Coverage
42-year-old Robert Groomer of Ardmore, Oklahoma REALLY wanted to get his ex wife in Natchitoches, Louisiana to pay attention to him. So a few weeks ago, he faked his own KIDNAPPING.
He even set up fake social media profiles for the kidnappers, and posted photos of himself tied up online. He also tipped off the media in Natchitoches that he’d been kidnapped, and the police started investigating.
But his ex didn’t seem to care . . . so he blew up her HOUSE. Fortunately he put his bombs in the back and she was asleep in the front, so she wasn’t hurt.
Then he called the local media to complain they weren’t covering the bombing OR the kidnapping well enough. And THAT’S when the cops put it all together and figured out what was going on.
They tracked down Robert at his house in Oklahoma, and arrested him for attempted murder and arson. In his defense, we’re thinking his ex COULDN’T ignore him after all that. So . . . mission accomplished?
THINGS THAT MAKE YA GO HMMMMM……..
• 66% of parents have a photo of their kids in the bathtub.
- 40% of single guys say they would NOT date a woman with 2 or more cats.
- 32% of us worry about sleeping through our alarm … every day.
- 30% of us have a problem with different foods touching each other on our dinner plate.
- 25% of men say they would not date a woman if she had a twin.
- 10% of women will be unable to wear an outfit today because they didn’t shave their legs.
THE NEXT BIG THING?
Dutch designers are making leather bags out of … discarded fruit. ‘Fruitleather’, the brainwave of a design group studying at the Willem de Kooning Academie in Rotterdam, was originally developed to help reduce food waste generated by the city’s farm markets.
Stats show the local markets throw away 3,500 kg (7,700 lbs) of fruit & vegetable waste daily due to the produce being rotten, damaged, or imperfect. The fruit is mashed, cooked, and dried in large slabs, which can then be cut and shaped into bags. – FastCoexist.com