- “Macadamia Nut Day”, saluting the nut first found in the rainforests of eastern Australia thousands of years ago by aboriginals. Though they can be toxic to dogs, they are super nutritious for humans.
- “International Bacon Day”, the 15th annual on the Saturday before Labor Day that involves creating dishes containing bacon, including breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, and drinks. Participants are encouraged to chant ‘Bacon is a vegetable!’
ON THIS DATE…………
1964, Gilligan’s Island premiered on CBS
1998  Google Inc is founded as a privately held company by 2 students at Stanford University, Sergey Brin & Lawrence Page, whose headquarters are located in a friend’s garage in Menlo Park, California
2002  The debut “American Idol” competition on FOX-TV is won by Kelly Clarkson, a 20-year-old cocktail waitress from Texas
2011  Competitive eater Sonya Thomas (‘The Black Widow’) is declared winner of the US Chicken Wing Eating Championship in Buffalo NY after consuming 183 wings in 12 minutes
Comedian Whitney Cummings (33)
Dr. Drew (57)
– A Beverly Hills estate is selling for $135 million. It has “360-degree views of Los Angeles, eight bedrooms, $2.5 million of Baccarat chandeliers, hand-woven carpets, a pool, gold-leaf ceilings and a ballroom
– Brobible claims someone has purchased LeBron James’ Miami home for $13.4 million. It has six bedrooms, a game room, a theater, a wine cellar, an infinity pool and a dock
- Miranda Lambert – She’s staging her 2-day MuttNation Foundation rescue dog charity event in Luckenbach TX, about 75 miles west of Austin. The 8th annual Cause For the Paws weekend is slotted September 18-19.
- Luke Bryan – When his brother-in-law died late last year, Luke took his nephew and 2 nieces in and made them part of the family. He admits to “People” that it was hard for everyone, but his own 2 boys have now adjusted just fine.
– AMC is planning a web special based on The Walking Dead. The story will revolve around a zombie outbreak on a plane. E! claims one character will survive and join ”Fear The Walking Dead” for season two
- Kenny Chesney – He’s donated another $100,000 to his Spread the Love fund at the Boston Medical Center to help pay for prosthetics for those who lost limbs in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. To date, Chesney’s fund has given away $400,000 to victims of the attack.
★ If you’re late to the “Empire” TV sensation and need to brush up for Season 2, then cancel all other Labor Day plans. FOX-TV has announced that the entire 1st season of the hit show will air on Monday starting at noon ET/PT. It will run through 11 pm ET/PT– EW.com
★ Producers have dismissed reports suggesting Terrence Howard’s role on “Empire” will be scaled back in Season 2 due to his recent personal issues. Tabloid reports have suggested the actor would be appearing less due to his character’s jail sentence for murder, as well as his recent real-life divorce settlement case. A rep for the show says the rumors are patently untrue, as audiences will witness when the series returns September 23rd on FOX-TV.– “Access Hollywood”
• “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Brad Paisley (“Moonshine In the Trunk”); Joe Bonamassa (“Different Shades of Blue”).
– NBC has renewed America’s Got Talent for another season
- “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Tonight Florida Georgia Line
- Brad Paisley – He’s headlining the Country Nation College Tour which welcomes students back to campus at some of America’s biggest schools. The trek starts Sunday at Virginia Tech University, with additional stops next week at Texas, Baylor, and Arkansas. Also on the bill: Eric Paslay
TODAY’S MOVIE OPENINGS:
• “Before We Go” ( PG-13 Romantic Dramedy ): Chris Evans (“Captain America”) makes his directorial debut with this story about a pair of strangers stuck in NYC who grow into trusted confidants as a night of unexpected adventure takes place. The events forces them to confront their fears and take control of their lives. Co-stars Alice Eve, Scott Evans.
• “The Transporter Refueled” ( PG-13 Action Thriller ): In the south of France, a former special-ops mercenary enters into a game of lethal chess with a femme-fatale and her 3 sidekicks who are looking for revenge against a sinister Russian kingpin. Stars Ed Skrein (taking over the lead role from Jason Statham from 3 previous “Transporter” films 2002-08).
ONE MINUTE OF SILENCE IS NOW THE MOST POPULAR SONG IN AUSTRIA:
One minute of silence is creating a lot of noise in Austria.
That’s because a minute-long recording of silence is currently at the top of the country’s iTunes chart after it was released on Friday (August 21st).
Proceeds from downloads of the song will benefit refugees at a camp in the town of Traiskirchen, south of Vienna, where around 2,000 people are living in conditions that international agencies have described as “inhumane.”
The “song” was created by Austrian artist Raoul Haspel, who launched the project out of frustration with the government’s refugee policy.
Soldier Asked Ronda Rousey to the Marine Corps Ball on YouTube, and She Said Yes
A Marine corporal named Jarrod Haschert made one of those YouTube videos, asking UFC women’s champ RONDA ROUSEY to the Marine Corps Ball in North Carolina on December 11th.
He said, quote, “You are my celebrity crush, like, I love everything you do and I think you are a phenomenal person, which is why it would be my honor to take you to the Marine Corps Ball . . . You would truly be making my dreams come true.”
Well, somebody’s dreams are about to come true, because Ronda said YES. She told TMZ that she doesn’t know how to work out the details, but, quote, “I’ll totally go . . . It is a yes.”
She also joked that Corporal Haschert had to find dates for her three friends, who were there with her.
The women are all MMA fighters. Their names are Marina Shafir, Shayna Baszler, and Jessamyn Duke, and together with Ronda they call themselves the Four Horsewomen.
Cat Took a Bullet for a Three-Year-Old Kid
A woman in York, Pennsylvania named Angelica Sipe was asleep last Thursday night when she heard some glass break. And when she checked on it, she realized a stray BULLET had come through her window.
It’s not clear if it was from a hunter or what. But it went through the couch she was sleeping on . . . across the room . . . and hit a pillow on the love seat where her three-year-old SON was sleeping.
But they’re both okay . . . because their CAT took the bullet FOR them. Angelica’s cat Opie was sleeping on the couch with her too. The bullet hit him in the top of the head . . . came out his neck . . . then went through his shoulder.
And Angelica says if Opie hadn’t been there, the bullet definitely would have hit her son. After she realized he was okay, she rushed Opie to the vet. And it looked so bad, they said she might want to put him down.
But Angelica decided that since Opie saved her son’s life, she had to save his. She told them to do emergency surgery, and it looks like he’ll be okay. Angelica says her vet bill is already more than $1,000, and could end up being a lot more.
Luckily a local news station posted a linked to a GoFundMe page, and people have already donated almost $3,000 to cover it.
Guy Tries to Rob a Woman, But She’s an MMA Fighter Who Chokes Him Out With Her Legs
Two women in Acailandia, Brazil were out Tuesday night when two guys pulled up next to them on a motorcycle and tried to ROB them.
But what the men DIDN’T know is that one of the women was Monique Bastos . . . a professional MMA fighter.
And when she realized they had knives, not guns . . . she ATTACKED them.
One of the guys ran off like a coward, but the other one wasn’t so lucky. Monique took him down, then choked him out using her LEGS. Then the cops came and arrested him.
Monique says it wasn’t a huge deal. Brazil is so lawless, this wasn’t even her first time. Quote, “I’ve been through this a few times before, and it’s the second time I fought back.”
You can see video of it online, just Google her name. It’s pretty intense, because she’s choking the guy while he screams. Just be warned. . . there MAY be cursing, but it’s all in Portuguese, so we have no idea.
City Hall in Cornwall Ontario Shuts Down Worm Selling Kids – Threatens $240 per Day Fines!
As Robert Cadieux explains it, he was shocked to come home from taking the kids to La Ronde in Montreal to find a notice from the City of Cornwall threatening him with fines of $240 per day.
The infraction? His kids selling worms that they pluck out of their own and neighbors yards when it rains.
Kristopher (10) and Clayton (8) were the industrious tykes who are saving up for a bike. The Cadieux’s are trying to instill a good work ethic and teaching their children the value of money. Kristina (7) was told that she can’t sell lemonade either by the Grinch like by law officer.
City Councilor Justin Towndale issued a statement on the subject:
“Earlier today I was made aware of an issue in which a By-Law notice was served to a local family advising that their three children could no longer sell worms from their property. I’ve since met with the family, have reached out to our By-Law supervisor, and contacted my Council colleagues.
I’ve been advised that in the past, this same By-Law provision has been used to shut down lemonade stands that were also run by children. My goal is to remedy the current issue and fix it for all going forward. We should let kids be kids.“
Does Your Cat Miss You When You’re Gone? Probably Not
We’ve got good news and bad news for cat owners. Everybody else . . . as you were, none of this will come as a surprise.
The good news is, your cats probably aren’t lying around depressed when you leave them home alone all day. The bad news is, they might not MISS you either.
Researchers in the U.K. recently observed how 20 cats interacted with their owners, and found that cats don’t rely on us for a sense of protection the way dogs do. Shocking news.
In other words, dogs get separation anxiety and miss you when you’re gone, because they see you as their protector. But cats are more independent and don’t see you that way, so they don’t care as much when you leave them alone.
A good example of the protector thing is when someone new comes over to visit. Dogs tend to stay close to you in that situation, either to protect you or because they expect you to protect THEM. But cats don’t rely on you for that, so they just run and hide.
The researchers DID find that cats meowed more after their owner left them alone than when a complete stranger hung out and then left. But they think it’s just a sign of frustration or BOREDOM. Because the cats didn’t really show any OTHER signs of social attachment with their owners.