- “Skyscraper Day”. By definition, a skyscraper is any structure that clearly stands out above its surrounding environment. A loose agreement in North America & Europe puts the lower limit of a skyscraper at 150 meters (500 ft). A skyscraper taller than 300 meters (984 ft) is referred to as ‘supertall’.
WORLD’S TALLEST BUILDINGS 2015:
5. CTF Finance Centre (Guangzhou, China) … 530 m (1,740 ft)
4. One World Trade Center (NYC, USA) … 541.3 m (1,776 ft)
3. Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower (Mecca, Saudi Arabia) … 601 m (1,971 ft)
2. Shanghai Tower (Shanghai, China) … 632 m (2,073 ft)
1. Burj Dubai (Dubai UAE) … 818 m (2,684 ft)
ON THIS DATE……………
1895  1st ‘professional football game’ (Latrobe, Pennsylvania YMCA beats Jeannette Athletic Club 12-0)
1954, “The Lone Ranger” was heard on radio for the final time after 21 years and 2,956 episodes
1966  TV show “Star Trek” debuts with a private showing at the “World Science Fiction Convention” in Cleveland, Ohio
1995, eBay was founded.
Snowboarder Shaun White (29) (2 Olympic Golds, 13 Winter X Games Golds, 2 X Games Golds, 10 ESPY Awards)
Actor – Charlie Sheen (50)
- “Sons Of Anarchy” creator Kurt Sutter is developing a new spin-off series centered on another California motorcycle club. The acclaimed crime drama starring Charlie Hunnam ended its 7-season run last year, and now Sutter is set to return to the world of biker gangs, in a show set in the Oakland, California motorcycle scene. The new show features members of the ‘Mayans’, an Hispanic gang that battled the ‘Sons’ throughout the original series. Sutter is slated to executive produce the as-yet-untitled program.
– “Entertainment Weekly”
– AMC is planning a web special based on The Walking Dead. The story will revolve around a zombie outbreak on a plane. E! claims one character will survive and join ”Fear The Walking Dead” for season two
Sinkhole in China Swallows 5 People
A sinkhole in a northeastern Chinese city swallowed five people in a dramatic scene that was captured on security video and shared widely on Chinese social media.
A provincial broadcaster said four people were injured in the Saturday incident in the provincial capital of Harbin.
The surveillance camera video shows pedestrians walking or standing on the sidewalk when it suddenly gave in.
Three people fell straight into the hole, while a woman clung to pipes just underneath the sidewalk. Another person standing on the edge fell sideways into the hole.
Heilongjiang Network Broadcasting Television said the people were probably waiting for a bus because it occurred at a bus stop. The bus sign also was swallowed by the sinkhole, the broadcaster said.
Passers-by pulled the victims from the hole, which was about 3 meters (10 feet) deep, the broadcaster said.
It said four received minor injuries to their feet, legs, arms and shoulders.
It was not immediately clear what caused the sidewalk to collapse.
★ Thousands of movies are to be removed from Netflix after the streaming service decided not to renew a deal with distributor Epix. Removed titles will include “The Hunger Games” and “Transformers” films. Netflix’s deal with Epix, which is worth a reported $1 billion, runs until the end of September, at which point the films will disappear from the service. Most are widely available on cable and other subscription platforms and Netflix has decided to focus on exclusive content. – Bloomberg.com
★ NBC-TV has pulled the plug on a revival of the sitcom “Coach”. The project was described as a sequel to the original, which ran on ABC-TV 1989-97. It was apparently an idea spun by original star Craig T Nelson. It would have brought him back as his character ‘Hayden Fox’, but this time around as a mentor to a younger coach. NBC-TV ordered up 13 episodes of the planned new comedy back in March, but has apparently done a 180 on that decision. No reason has been given.– EW.com
★ If you’re late to the “Empire” TV sensation and need to brush up for Season 2, then cancel all other Labor Day plans. FOX-TV has announced that the entire 1st season of the hit show will air on Monday starting at noon ET/PT. It will run through 11 pm ET/PT– EW.com
★ Producers have dismissed reports suggesting Terrence Howard’s role on “Empire” will be scaled back in Season 2 due to his recent personal issues. Tabloid reports have suggested the actor would be appearing less due to his character’s jail sentence for murder, as well as his recent real-life divorce settlement case. A rep for the show says the rumors are patently untrue, as audiences will witness when the series returns September 23rd on FOX-TV.– “Access Hollywood”
• “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Brad Paisley (“Moonshine In the Trunk”); Joe Bonamassa (“Different Shades of Blue”).
Servers at Edmonton bar donate $1,000 tip to charity
After being on the receiving end of a tip of a lifetime last week, servers at an Edmonton pub are paying it forward and donating the money to a local charity.
Celeste Bouchard was working at Hudsons on Whyte, near the city’s Strathcona neighbourhood, at about 1 a.m. Thursday when a patron left her a $1,000 tip. The customer said he was impressed with the service.
“He did it himself. He typed in a $1,000 (on the debit machine), handed it back to me and I was like ‘What?’ “I looked and I was like ‘This is insanity,” she added.
Bouchard and her co-workers initially decided to divide the tip among the staff, but after some thought, she said she realized that the plan didn’t feel right.
“We were just like: ‘Well, we’re not going to split that between us because that’s so selfish,” said Bouchard. “I was like: ‘It is just taking away the magic of what this man did for us … I think we should donate all of it.'”
So Bouchard placed $1,000 in an envelope and notified the rest of staff that she would be giving it to charity. Bouchard, who is a cash-crunched nursing student, and her co-workers took the money to Stollery Children’s Hospital.
Tannis Peterkin, community initiatives co-ordinator for the Stollery Children’s Hospital, said he was grateful for the chain of good deeds.
“That’s amazing. It’s something I can’t say I’ve ever done because I’ve never received something like that,” said Peterkin. “This man … was choosing to be so generous and I think it is important to pay it forward. I think it is important to make the world better and be nice.”
Cops Shut Down a Lemonade Stand That Jerry Seinfeld and His Family Were Doing for Charity
JERRY SEINFELD and his 12-year-old son Julian set up a lemonade stand in their Hamptons neighborhood. A few of Julian’s friends were helping out, and the proceeds were going to a children’s charity.
But a neighbor called the police on them, complaining about all the people it attracted. The cops came by and shut it down, because they didn’t have a permit, and cars were illegally parking on the street.
Jerry’s wife posted an Instagram photo of Jerry and the kids jokingly putting their hands behind their heads as if they were being arrested . . . with the caption, quote, “Lemonade dreams crushed by local neighbor, but not before raising lots of money. Thanks to all of our customers and big tippers!”
It’s unclear whether or not the neighbor knew what was going on when they called the cops, and we don’t know how disruptive it was. So, maybe this was a neighbor being a rich jerk . . . or maybe it really was chaos.
In any event, the Seinfelds are EXCEEDINGLY wealthy, so it’s not really worth getting all up in arms about.
Giant spiders on the lookout for a place to mate – inside your home
Reports suggest there have been more spiders than usual this summer. And things are about to get worse… If recent reports are anything to go by, arachnophobes could be in for a stressful few weeks – because according to the spider experts there’s an army of a new breed of ‘giant’ spiders about to invade our homes to lay their eggs.
That’s because female spiders fatten up toward the end of Summer as they prepare to lay eggs, anywhere from 50-to-1,000 each. Some females can double in size, making them much easier to spot. What’s really creepy is they were there all along … you just don’t notice them when they were small and rolled up in a ball.
The rule of thumb, according to entomologists, is no one anywhere is ever more than 1 meter (3.3 feet) away from a spider. – Sourced from “Globe & Mail”
As the weather turns cooler and wetter this month, ‘giant house spiders’ will be searching for a place out of the cold and wet of Fall. However hard you try there is, unfortunately, not a lot you can do to stop them coming into your house. “If they come across any small opening, they can easily get in.
A Teenager Thought His Car’s Tape Deck Was an iPhone Dock
A car dealership in Lockport, New York recently had a teenager come in to complain about his Ford. He said the iPhone dock in the car didn’t work, and it was scratching up his screen.
But they found out his car didn’t actually HAVE an iPhone dock. It was an older model that had a TAPE DECK . . . and the kid had no idea what that was. So he kept shoving his phone in, and didn’t understand why nothing was happening.
The dealership shared a photo of the guy’s phone in his tape deck on Facebook, and it’s been shared more than 160,000 times.
- Shrapnel is named after Henry Shrapnel, a major general in the British Army. In the late 1700s he invented an exploding shell with lead pellets inside.
- “I Love Lucy” was originally sponsored by Philip Morris, so the opening credits for the first season featured cartoon versions of Lucy and Ricky climbing on a giant pack of cigarettes.
- The Major League Baseball record for the most home runs by two brothers is held byHank Aaron and Tommie Aaron. They have 768 combined . . . 755 from Hank, 13 from Tommie.
- A sound engineer named Kevin O’Connell has the record for the most Oscar nominations without a win. He’s been nominated TWENTY times for Best Sound Mixing since 1983, and he’s never won.
- All three point guards for the Dallas Mavericks have the exact same birthday. Raymond Felton, J.J. Barea, and Deron Williams were all born on June 26th, 1984.
“Dancing with the Stars” Cast Includes Gary Busey, Paula Deen, and Tamar Braxton
The cast of the 21st season of “Dancing with the Stars” was revealed on “Good Morning America “yesterday . . .
- Gary Busey is dancing with Anna Trebunskaya.
- ChefPaula Deen is partnered with Louis van Amstel, who’s white . . . thankfully.
- 17-year-oldBindi Irwin, the daughter of “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin, is dancing with Derek Hough.
- Triple Crown-winning American Pharoah jockeyVictor Espinozais dancing with Karina Smirnoff.
- Army National GuardsmanAlek Skarlatos is paired with Lindsay Arnold. He’s one of the heroes who helped stop a gunman on a Paris-bound train last month.
Season 21 premieres on Monday, September 14th. For the first time, Len Goodman will not be back as a judge. He isn’t going to be replaced, so there will only be three judges: Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Tonioli, and Julianne Hough.
If you missed it, Gary Busey announced that he’s doing it on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” Tuesday night, by riding onto the set on a HORSE.