ON THIS DATE……….
153 years ago. . . In 1862,U.S President ABRAHAM LINCOLN issued the preliminary EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION, declaring that all slaves in rebel states should be FREE as of January 1st, 1863.
88 years ago. . . In 1927, JACK DEMPSEY knocked out heavyweight boxing champ GENE TUNNEY in the 7th round, attempting to regain the title. However, the referee refused to start the count until Dempsey went to a neutral corner, giving Tunney an extra four seconds to recover, which he did, and he went on to win the fight!
(Ten people died of heart attacks while listening to the fight on the radio!)
30 years ago. . . In 1985, the first FARM AID concert was put on. Willie Nelson, Neil Young, and Johnny “The Cougar” Mellencamp were the main organizers.
Other performers included Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, John Denver, FOREIGNER, and an unknown band called BON JOVI. The show raised some $10 MILLION for America’s family farmers.
1903, the ice cream cone was invented
1921, Band-Aids were invented
1976, Charlie’s Angels premiered
1989, Baywatch debuted on NBC
1994, Friends premiered ..
2004, “Lost” premiered on ABC.
Former NBA commissioner David Stern (73)
Former Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda (88)
– A Beverly Hills estate is selling for $135 million. It has “360-degree views of Los Angeles, eight bedrooms, $2.5 million of Baccarat chandeliers, hand-woven carpets, a pool, gold-leaf ceilings and a ballroom
– Brobible claims someone has purchased LeBron James’ Miami home for $13.4 million. It has six bedrooms, a game room, a theater, a wine cellar, an infinity pool and a dock
- Garth Brooks – A plan to record a 25th anniversary version of his breakthrough hit “Friends in Low Places” has run into a legal roadblock due to problems with royalty payments. The new rendition was to include Florida Georgia Line, George Strait, Jason Aldean, and Keith Urban but it seems the idea is now dead in the water.
- Thomas Rhett – He’s playing AT&T Stadium in Arlington TX, home of the Dallas Cowboys, on September 23rd in an event dubbed “Tangled Up in Texas”. It heralds the release of his new album “Tangled Up” (September 25th) and features an attempt at a world record for the largest game of Twister.
– IGN claims Channing Tatum is going to star in a new movie about daredevil Evel Knievel
– The Verge claims Sharp is selling a $133,000 TV. The 8K, 85-inch monitor has a resolution of 7680 x 4320
– NBC is turning Liam Neeson’s movie “Taken” into a TV series. The show will follow the younger days of Bryan Mills
– RADAR Online claims the Emmy gift bags that stars received contained Bose headphones, gourmet cookies and cakes, Chap Stick, skin care products, a lint roller, mouthwash and video games, among other things
Two-Year-Old Kid Fell in a River, and a Pit Bull Helped Save His Life
Here’s a story for all the people who say pit bulls get a bad rap. A guy in Australia named David Kenney was at a friend’s place with his two-year-old son Alex on September 5th.
And apparently no one noticed Alex wander off, because they didn’t know he was missing until David’s nine-year-old pit bull Leala showed up soaking wet, and kept trying to get their attention.
Then they went looking for him, and it turned out he was unconscious, lying facedown in a dammed-up RIVER.
When they found him, he wasn’t breathing and his heart had stopped. It’s not clear how long he’d been there, but they immediately started doing CPR. And after 27 MINUTES, his heart started beating again.
He was still unconscious when he showed up at the hospital though, and his doctors didn’t like his chances. They had to put him in a coma, and even if he pulled through, they thought he’d have severe brain damage.
But within 48 hours, he woke up. And the first thing he asked for was a KISS from his parents. He went home from the hospital last Thursday, and has no signs of brain damage. His dad says he’s exactly the same as he was before it happened.
MOUNTIES GIVE A GREAT REPLY
People Wear Black to Feel Confident, No One Wears Brown or Orange on Dates, and Three More Stats
Black is still the new black.
A new survey asked people a bunch of questions about the clothing colors they wear for different occasions, and the colors they like on other people.
And black DOMINATED . . . it’s the color we wear when we want to feel confident, the one that makes people look the most intelligent, AND the one that makes people look the most attractive.
Here are four more results from the survey . . .
- Men’s favorite color on women besides black is red. Women’s favorite color on men besides black is blue.
- Only 5% of people think someone intelligent would wear pink.
- Only 2% of women and 8% of men would wear brown to an important meeting.
- And orange is the worst thing you could wear on a first date . . . only 2% of women and 6% of men say they find it attractive. Brown is the second-worst.
• “Baby Driver” – Jamie Foxx is being tipped to star alongside Lily James in this story about a young driver who’s forced into working for a crime boss. Details about his exact role are being kept under wraps, but the 47-year-old actor-singer has reportedly been in negotiations with the film’s director, “Ant-Man” filmmaker Edgar Wright. Shooting is expected to begin later this year.
- ‘John Gotti Bio-Film’ – “Entourage” star Kevin Connolly has signed on to direct a stalled biopic about the infamous NYC mob boss starring John Travolta. Connolly is making his feature film directing debut after helming “Entourage” TV episodes and the hockey documentary “Big Shot”.
Travolta signed on for the film in 2011 and is still believed to be involved.
WEB FIND OF THE DAY – NO BOYFRIENDS
Dad Wants His Toddler Daughter To Promise She Will Never Have Boyfriends …
in a video that’s gone viral, a father tries to make his young daughter take an oath that she won’t ever have a boyfriend.
She doesn’t make the promise, because she “just wants to look at them”
- Cannibalism is illegal in Idaho and has a maximum sentence of 14 years . . . unless you had to eat someone, quote, “under extreme life-threatening conditions as the only apparent means of survival.” Then it’s cool.
- If Brooklyn were its own city and not just a borough of New York, it would be the fourth largest city in the country.
- “Titanic” was in movie theaters for so long, it became the first movie ever to come out on VHS while it was still being shown in theaters.
- Denny’s isn’t named after anyone. It started as a donut shop called Danny’s Donuts in Lakewood, California . . . and the founders picked “Danny” because it started with a “D,” like donuts.
They eventually changed the name to Denny’s because people were confusing it with another chain called Coffee Dan’s . . . and that name stuck.