There are 100 days remaining until Xmas
There are 106 days remaining until New Year’s Eve
Today is Wife Appreciation Day
ON THIS DATE…………
1620, The Mayflower left Plymouth, England, with 102 passengers, bound for America
1908, General Motors was founded
1955, Play-Doh hit the market
1972, The Bob Newhart Show premiered on CBS
1993, Frasier debuted on NBC
2007, O.J. Simpson was arrested and charged with robbery with a deadly weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery and burglary with a firearm for trying to steal sports memorabilia from a dealer.
Amy Poehler from Saturday Night Live / Parks and Rec – (44)
Molly Shannon from Saturday Night Live (51)
Magician – David Copperfield (59)
Disney Is Developing a New “Mary Poppins” Movie
Disney is developing another “Mary Poppins” movie . . . and fortunately, it’s NOT going to be a remake, it’ll be more like a sequel. It will be set in Depression-era London . . . 20 years after the original.
“Entertainment Weekly” claims it’s NOT being developed as a sequel per se . . . but, quote, “It’ll explore Mary’s further adventures with the Banks family and beyond, as illustrated by P.L. Travers’ seven additional [‘Mary Poppins’] novels.”
If you saw “Saving Mr. Banks”, you’d know that Disney really had to fight for the rights to the first movie and Travers did NOT want any animation in it. But she passed away 20 years ago, and Disney has cleared the sequel with her estate.
Rob Marshall is directing it. He’s the guy who did “Into the Woods” and “Chicago”. There’s no word on any casting or a release date yet.
For what it’s worth, “Variety” says that ANNE HATHAWAY could make a perfect Mary Poppins. JULIE ANDREWS played her in the original . . . and it’s conceivable that she could have a cameo in the new movie, but she’s also 79 now.
As most of you know, Anne and Julie did the “Princess Diaries” movies together. Julie played her grandmother.
A Woman Woke Up From a Coma When She Heard Her Baby Crying
This reminds you what an incredible bond mothers have with their kids. Almost exactly a year ago, a 24-year-old woman outside Charlotte, North Carolina named Shelly Cawley had to be put under for an emergency C-section. Luckily, her daughter Rylan was born healthy.
But during the surgery, a blood clot broke loose in Shelly’s leg . . . her blood pressure dropped . . . her lungs started filling with fluid . . . and she slipped into a COMA.
Her husband Jeremy says when she hadn’t woken up a week later, he didn’t have much hope. But then a nurse named Ashley Manus came up with an idea that was basically a last resort.
They brought the baby in, and put her on Shelly’s chest to see if she’d respond to it. But Rylan just fell asleep on top of her, and nothing happened. So then they decided to see what would happen if Rylan made some noise.
First they started tickling and poking her, but she just kept sleeping. So they eventually pinched her, and she started CRYING. And when that happened . . . Shelly WOKE UP.
Soccer Hooligans Destroyed the Wedding of a Rival Leader . . . But Picked the Wrong Wedding
You used to always hear about idiot soccer hooligans in Europe starting riots. Then it kind of went away . . . probably because no one cares about soccer. Now that soccer is sorta becoming cool, let’s check in on the idiots.
Some soccer hooligans in France wanted to get revenge on a rival gang leader, so they targeted his WEDDING. They support a team called St. Etienne, and hate whoever supports Lyon. But really . . . who cares. (It’s pronounced ‘Leon.’)
Anyway, the guy was getting married at a fancy French castle. So they put on hoods . . . showed up in a van with a dozen hooligans . . . threw green smoke bombs . . . and attacked the reception with bats.
The ceremony was still going on at a church nearby, so they smashed plates, broke glasses, and destroyed the buffet . . . the tables . . . and even the WEDDING cake.
The catering staff thought it was a terrorist attack, so they ran and hid. Mission accomplished.
Except they targeted the WRONG WEDDING. The dude they wanted was getting married five miles away. The one they took down was for 300 guests who had no connection to the whole thing. Now the police are investigating. (Daily Mail)
Nurse takes ‘The View’ to task for criticizing Miss America nurse contestant
Miss Colorado was responsible for one of the most memorable performances at the 2016 Miss America pagent.
Yesterday we shared video of Kelley Johnson’s talent during Miss America preliminaries last week — a monologue about an experience she had working as a nurse — fellow nurses in turn shared the footage, praising Johnson for highlighting her job in such a prominent way at the pageant.
Johnson told the story of how one of her patients, Joe, a man in the early stages of Alzheimer’s, changed her perception of being a nurse.
When Johnson became a finalist during the televised pageant Sunday, even more people got to see her monologue, including those who have someone with Alzheimer’s in their family and those who are studying to become nurses. Miss Colorado, 22, ended up being the second runner up.
Monday on “The View,” two hosts offered commentary on Johnson’s monologue that wasn’t exactly in line with the glowing reception from the nursing community.
One host, Michelle Collins, said Johnson, who is an ICU nurse, “basically read her emails out loud,” while another, Joy Behar, questioned why Johnson would have “a doctor’s stethoscope” around her neck. In response, nurses rallied in defense of Johnson on social media, using the hashtags #nursesmatter, #nursesunited, #nursesunite, #mytalentisnursing, #notjustanurse (that was the takeaway from Johnson’s monologue — that she’s not “just a nurse”) and #nursesrock, expressing their outrage at what they deemed a devaluation of the very topic she was addressing — the importance of a nurse’s job.
And yes, they said — it is completely appropriate for a nurse to use a stethoscope. Some even posted pictures of their stethoscopes to prove the point.
Nurse Hilary Helkenn posted a response to Facebook, writing, “It is a NURSE stethoscope too. I use it to listen to a child’s lungs, so I can quickly get them to the appropriate level of care, reassuring both child and parent. I also use it to listen to our elderly loved ones, who sometimes have aging hearts that go into abnormal rhythms. It is the NURSE that usually sees the patient first, and it is often the NURSE that notifies the doctor of what is going on. … Your comments denigrated our most noble profession. You owe all of the nurses of this world an apology.”
– A Beverly Hills estate is selling for $135 million. It has “360-degree views of Los Angeles, eight bedrooms, $2.5 million of Baccarat chandeliers, hand-woven carpets, a pool, gold-leaf ceilings and a ballroom
– Brobible claims someone has purchased LeBron James’ Miami home for $13.4 million. It has six bedrooms, a game room, a theater, a wine cellar, an infinity pool and a dock
- Garth Brooks – A plan to record a 25th anniversary version of his breakthrough hit “Friends in Low Places” has run into a legal roadblock due to problems with royalty payments. The new rendition was to include Florida Georgia Line, George Strait, Jason Aldean, and Keith Urban but it seems the idea is now dead in the water.
– James Bond’s submarine car is being auctioned off for $1 million. The Lotus was used in the 1977 movie, “The Spy Who Loved Me”.
- Thomas Rhett – He’s playing AT&T Stadium in Arlington TX, home of the Dallas Cowboys, on September 23rd in an event dubbed “Tangled Up in Texas”. It heralds the release of his new album “Tangled Up” (September 25th) and features an attempt at a world record for the largest game of Twister.
– The Nevada Supreme Court has rejected O.J. Simpson’s request for a retrial. He is serving 9 to 33 years in prison for armed-robbery. OJ burst into a Las Vegas hotel room and tried to reclaim some of his memorabilia. He has served seven years
– Shark Tank star Mark Cuban tells CNBC that he would beat Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump if he ran for President. “If I ran as a Dem, I know I could beat Hillary Clinton. And if it was me vs. Trump, I would crush him. No doubt about it.”
– WTOC-TV claims 14% of people have already started their holiday shopping. Two percent are done
A String Quartet Played in the Middle of a Traffic Jam
A major highway in England had a pretty bad traffic jam on Sunday after a horse trailer broke down. And the members of a string quartet who were on their way home from a wedding got stuck in it.
So instead of just sitting there, they got out of their car and did an impromptu performance of the wedding song, “Pachelbel’s Canon in D”.
- The name Pepsi comes from the word “dyspepsia,” which means indigestion . . . since its original purpose was to help people with digestion.
- The world’s largest Dairy Queen is in Saudi Arabia.
- The name Tyrannosaurus rex is a mix of Greek and Latin that translates into “tyrant lizard king.”
- Only one person under 30 has ever won the Oscar for Best Actor . . .Adrien Brody won for “The Pianist” when he was 29.
- Coffee tables are a result of prohibition. Before 1920, the tables in living rooms were called “cocktail tables.” But once alcohol became illegal, people started serving coffee to their guests instead, and the name “coffee table” stuck.