Today is National IT Professionals Day
ON THIS DATE………..
63 years ago. . . In 1952, the classic “I Love Lucy” episode, “LUCY IN THE CANDY FACTORY”, first aired
50 years ago. . . In 1965, the science-fiction classic, “Lost In Space” . . . SET IN THE OH-SO-DISTANT YEAR OF 1997 . . . premiered on CBS. (It ran for three seasons.)
1965, Green Acres debuted on CBS
1977, CHiPs premiered
36 years ago. . . In 1979, “The Devil Went Down To Georgia” by the CHARLIE DANIELS BAND peaked at #3 on the pop singles chart.
(A hard rock version of the song is part of the final battle in “Guitar Hero 3” . . . and Charlie Daniels was NOT happy about that. He says, quote, “I did not grant these people my permission to pervert my song and am disgusted with the result.”)
2004, The National Hockey League lockout began. The 2004-2005 season was eventually canceled.
Prince Harry (31)
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll (64)
Actor – Tommy Lee Jones (69)
Oliver Stone is 69. He co-wrote “Conan the Barbarian” and “Scarface”, . . then went on to direct “Platoon”, “Born on the Fourth of July”, “Wall Street” and its sequel “Money Never Sleeps”, “Talk Radio”, “The Doors”, “JFK”, “Any Given Sunday”, and more
Miss Colorado Talks About Nursing Instead Of Singing For The Crown
Last week, Miss America hosted its second night of preliminaries in Atlantic City. For the talent competition, most contestants showcased their singing, dancing, and musical talents while donning their sparkly, glittery costumes — but Kelley Johnson walked out on stage in her nurse’s scrubs.
Kelley is Miss Colorado, and she decided to forgo the traditional talent routine. Instead, she delivered a unique monologue about her experience as a nurse, and with an elderly Alzheimer’s patient. The results are unexpected, original, and touching.
“Every nurse has a patient that reminds them of why they became a nurse in the first place. Mine was Joe,” she begins.
Kelley is a beauty pageant titleholder from Windsor, CO, who was crowned Miss Colorado 2015. Her platform is “The Health Initiative PLUS: Prevent, Live, Uncover, Study.” She is a 2015 graduate of Grand View University where earned a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing, graduating as valedictorian of her nursing class.
Today, Kelley is a registered nurse.
As she said, Nurses are the ones who make the most direct contact with the patient. They’re the advocates, the planners, and the glue that holds it all together.
– A Beverly Hills estate is selling for $135 million. It has “360-degree views of Los Angeles, eight bedrooms, $2.5 million of Baccarat chandeliers, hand-woven carpets, a pool, gold-leaf ceilings and a ballroom
– Brobible claims someone has purchased LeBron James’ Miami home for $13.4 million. It has six bedrooms, a game room, a theater, a wine cellar, an infinity pool and a dock
- Kenny Chesney – He’s donated another $100,000 to his Spread the Love fund at the Boston Medical Center to help pay for prosthetics for those who lost limbs in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. To date, Chesney’s fund has given away $400,000 to victims of the attack.
- Garth Brooks – A plan to record a 25th anniversary version of his breakthrough hit “Friends in Low Places” has run into a legal roadblock due to problems with royalty payments. The new rendition was to include Florida Georgia Line, George Strait, Jason Aldean, and Keith Urban but it seems the idea is now dead in the water.
– Kellogg’s is celebrating Queen Elizabeth’s record-breaking reign of 63 years and 7 months by creating a special cereal called Queen Flakes. The cereal will only be available in the UK
– James Bond’s submarine car is being auctioned off for $1 million. The Lotus was used in the 1977 movie, “The Spy Who Loved Me”.
- Thomas Rhett – He’s playing AT&T Stadium in Arlington TX, home of the Dallas Cowboys, on September 23rd in an event dubbed “Tangled Up in Texas”. It heralds the release of his new album “Tangled Up” (September 25th) and features an attempt at a world record for the largest game of Twister.
– 4.5 million people watched Donald Trump’s appearance on The Tonight Show on Friday. The show was Jimmy Fallon’s highest rated in 18 months
– The Nevada Supreme Court has rejected O.J. Simpson’s request for a retrial. He is serving 9 to 33 years in prison for armed-robbery. OJ burst into a Las Vegas hotel room and tried to reclaim some of his memorabilia. He has served seven years
Woman Got a Parking Ticket While She Was in the Hospital . . .
A woman in Australia was in the hospital with her nine-week-old son earlier this month. We don’t know why she was there, and she hasn’t revealed her name. But a photo she posted on Facebook is going viral.
Right after she and her son got discharged on Sunday, she walked outside and found a parking ticket on her windshield. Which was just one more headache she REALLY didn’t need at that point.
But when she opened the envelope, there was a NOTE from a woman who only identified herself as “Laura.”
It said, quote, “I saw your car had a parking ticket on it. I’m sure whatever you are going through at [the] hospital is tough enough . . . so I have paid it FOR you.” And she wrote down the confirmation number, so it could be verified.
The woman who got the ticket says she posted a photo of the note online hoping Laura might see it, because she wants her to know how much that small act of kindness meant to her.
Guy Got Fired Right After Getting Hired . . . Because He Accidentally Sent Nude Selfies to the HR Manager
A 23-year-old guy from Aurora, Illinois interviewed for a job last month, and the HR manager wound up hiring him. But not long after she called him to give him the good news . . . she got two NAKED SELFIES from him.
It turns out he did it by accident . . . he meant to text the photos to someone else, but got confused.
She told her bosses, and they went to the cops. But the guy told them it was a mistake, and everyone believed him.
So the woman decided not to press charges . . . but the company withdrew the job offer.
THINGS THAT MAKE YA GO HMMM:
• 72% of us say the most underrated romantic gesture is a kiss goodbye.
- 56% of couples say they argued in the car on their last road trip because of backseat driving.
- 41% of drivers admit to talking to themselves in the car.
- 20% of us admit to lying about winning awards on our résumés.
- 16% of us believe in knocking on wood for good luck.
Morning Energy Boosts That Aren’t Coffee
- Sticking your face out the window.
Getting a “breath of fresh air” right after waking has been shown to reduce feelings of stress and fatigue. And a blast of morning sun to the face is linked with better mood
- Touching your toes.
And if that’s not happening, try stretching in another way. “When we sleep our heart rate drops. Blood does not flow freely to the muscles, which in turn leaves them oxygen deprived and with waste to be disposed of. Our muscles and joints might also be stiff from lack of activity,” “Stretching — elongating and contracting muscles all around your body — makes the stiffness go away, the blood flow quicker again, [and causes] blood pressure to rise, which results in more oxygen to the brain.”
- Chugging some ice water.
It’s like taking a cold shower, without the heart attack. “Cold triggers the stimulating hormone adrenaline,” says Doctor Jacob Teitebaum, author of From Fatigued to Fantastic! “This helps your heart pump stronger, boosting blood flow to your brain. Another benefit: Drinking water revives shriveled cells after hours of sleep-induced dehydration, which is known to cause tiredness.”
- Cranking up the tunes
And shake your groove thang while you’re at it. “Music distracts people from pain and fatigue, elevates mood, increases endurance, reduces perceived effort and may even promote metabolic efficiency. When listening to music, people run farther, bike longer and swim faster than usual,” reports Scientific Amerian
- Slathering on some body lotion.
Lotions that contain essential oils like citrus and peppermint can make you feel alive again. “Rub it on your hands and temples. If it’s real strong, put a little on your upper lip to awaken your senses”
- Eating an apple.
Sleeping is how your body rejuvenates, but it’s also the longest period of time we go without eating, which can make us feel weak and foggy. “Taking a bite of this energizing fruit is a delicious way to jolt your body into gear. Apples contain natural sugars and other carbohydrates that can help stabilize your blood sugar. Other fruits, like bananas and oranges, will do the same.