- “Eat Outside Day”, a great excuse to eat outside one more time before Summer comes to an end and we all get busy with Fall activities.
- “Invent a New Sandwich Day”, and be sure to give it a really creative name!
ON THIS DATE………
1897, Thomas Edison invented the movie camera
1955  1st ‘Sun-Powered Automobile’ is demonstrated (60 years later and you still can’t buy one)
1997, Princess Diana was killed in an automobile accident in a Paris tunnel
2009, Disney announced it was acquiring Marvel for $4 billion
NFL WR Larry Fitzgerald (32)
Actor – Richard Gere (66)
“Scream” and “A Nightmare on Elm Street” Director Wes Craven Has Died
WES CRAVEN, the legendary director of “A Nightmare on Elm Street” and all four “Scream” movies, died yesterday after a battle with brain cancer. He was 76.
Craven first made a name for himself with the very gritty and brutal “Last House on the Left” in 1972 . . . and “The Hills Have Eyes” in 1977.
“Elm Street” came in 1984, and Wes returned to the series two more times by contributing to the screenplay of “Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors” . . . and by writing, directing, and playing himself in “Wes Craven’s New Nightmare” in 1994.
The original “Elm Street” was JOHNNY DEPP’s first movie role, by the way. Craven also gave SHARON STONE her first starring role in a 1981 horror flick called “Deadly Blessing”.
The final “Scream” movie, “Scream 4”, came out in 2011. But the franchise just became a series on MTV. Its first season finale is tomorrow night.
DRIVER LICENSE FEES AND STICKER PRICES GOING UP SEPTEMBER 1ST
Get ready to pay more for driver’s licenses, license renewals, replacements and commercial permits as of September 1st.
The Government of Ontario says that increases are necessary to cover the rising costs of maintaining provincial roads, bridges and highways, enhance cost recovery for the delivery of driver, and vehicle licensing services.
The cost of new driver’s licenses, along with license renewals goes up from from $80 to $81.50.
Renewing a license plate validation sticker will jump from $98 per year to $108 per year. The two-year sticker price will climb from $196 to $216.
Commercial vehicle validation (3,000 kg and less), for both personal use and commercial use will also jump from $98 to $108.
– A Beverly Hills estate is selling for $135 million. It has “360-degree views of Los Angeles, eight bedrooms, $2.5 million of Baccarat chandeliers, hand-woven carpets, a pool, gold-leaf ceilings and a ballroom
– Brobible claims someone has purchased LeBron James’ Miami home for $13.4 million. It has six bedrooms, a game room, a theater, a wine cellar, an infinity pool and a dock
- “Chef in Your Ear” (Food) – Debut of a new cooking show in which a pair of off-camera pro chefs compete to see who can get a completely clueless cook to create a restaurant-quality dish … by giving tips through an earpiece.
- Miranda Lambert – She’s staging her 2-day MuttNation Foundation rescue dog charity event in Luckenbach TX, about 75 miles west of Austin. The 8th annual Cause For the Paws weekend is slotted September 18-19.
- Shania Twain – She tells “Las Vegas Sun” she wants to return to her residency at Caesars Palace once she wraps her “Rock This Country” tour later this year. She says her show could return to Vegas next Fall or perhaps in 2017.
Zac Efron Had the Biggest Bomb Ever for a Major Hollywood Film
ZAC EFRON set a box office record over the weekend . . . for the WORST OPENING EVER for a major Hollywood movie playing in 2,000 theaters or more.
His electronic dance music drama “We Are Your Friends” made a pathetic $1.8 million on 2,333 screens. That was good enough for 13th place. But he’s still ridiculously good-looking, so don’t feel too bad for him.
“Straight Outta Compton”stayed at #1 with $13.2 million.
- “Straight Outta Compton”, $13.2 million. Up to $134 million in its 3rd week.
- NEW: “War Room”, $11 million.
- “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation”, $8.3 million. Up to $170 million in its 5th week.
- NEW: “No Escape”, $8.3 million. Up to $10.3 million since Wednesday.
- “Sinister 2”, $4.7 million. Up to $18.5 million in its 2nd week.
Hiker Was Rescued After He Wrote “Help” in the Sand
A 63-year-old from England named Geoff Keys hiked about a mile to go swimming under a waterfall in northern Australia last month, and got lost on his way back to camp.
It was getting dark, so he tried to take a shortcut through the woods even though he was in his bare feet. Then he got turned around and had to stop for the night.
Now, he knew his friends would report him missing when he didn’t come back. So when he heard a helicopter the next morning, he realized it was probably searching for him. But it was way in the distance, and the forest was REALLY thick.
So he went to the bank of a river, and wrote the word “HELP” in the sand, in giant letters. He also wrote the date, and an arrow pointing in the direction he was walking.
And it actually WORKED.
He had to spend another night in the woods, but rescuers saw his message the next day . . . followed the arrow . . . and finally spotted him. And it’s a good thing they did, because he was headed in the WRONG direction.
In the end, he was lost for 47 hours in his bare feet. And if it wasn’t for his message, they probably wouldn’t have found him in time.
Guy Put a Rattlesnake Around His Neck for a Photo, and Might Lose His Hand
A guy in San Diego got bitten by a rattlesnake last month after he tried to take a selfie with it. Now a guy near Los Angeles has somehow managed to do something even dumber . . .
36-year-old Alex Gomez was at his family’s ranch about 70 miles southeast of L.A. on Monday, when he saw a four-foot rattlesnake in a field . . . picked it up . . . and put it around his NECK so his nephew could take a photo.
But it bit him on the hand, and he had to be rushed to the hospital. They pumped him full of anti-venom, but he still might lose a few fingers . . . and they might have to amputate his entire HAND.
Obviously he’s not getting much sympathy from anyone at this point . . . and that includes his own MOTHER.
When she told him the local news wanted to interview her, he asked her to say no . . . but she told him she was DEFINITELY doing it, because he’s a “fool”, and she wants to embarrass him as much as possible.
Quote, “I’m going to teach him a real good lesson . . . No mercy for him.”
Nursing center patient goes to bathroom, finds snake in underpants
Imagine finding a live snake in your underwear.
Workers at the Titusville Florida Rehab and Nursing Center said that exact scenario played out with a resident inside the home.
“(It was) in his underwear,” said certified nursing assistant Veronica Mitchner. “I was like, a snake? A real snake. And I wanted to see the snake and when I seen the snake in a cup, I was like, ‘Dang, that’s a real snake.'”
Mitchner said supervisors at the facility told nurses not to report what happened.
But Mitchner said the supervisors’ response is what prompted employees to act, and an anonymous call was made to police. The caller told dispatchers that supervisors were trying to cover up the incident.
The police report shows the director of nursing said she would call pest control, saying the snake may have gotten to the resident from a blanket due to the laundry facility being outside. But Mitchner said the snakes aren’t new.
Mitchner said she wants to see more being done to control the pest problem.
Other employees said management tried to further cover up what happened by telling them not to talk with the media. The resident was not bitten or injured by the snake, authorities said. He even told police he’d like to keep the reptile as a pet.
A statement from the facility identified the snake as a 3-inch nonpoisonous ring neck snake. It also said the pest control company that inspected the grounds found no evidence of snakes.