- “Chocolate Day”, started by the National Confectioners. Some say chocolate from the New World (mostly Mexico) was introduced to Europe on this date in 1550.
- “Macaroni Day”, saluting one of the more popular forms of Italian pasta. How would the average student survive college without mac & cheese?
- “Running Of the Bulls” begins in Pamplona, Spain, an annual event during the “Fiesta San Fermin”.
ON THIS DATE………..
1956, Johnny Cash made his first appearance on the “Grand Ole Opry.”
2005  A series of 4 explosions occurs on London’s transport system killing 56 people, including 4 suicide bombers, and injuring over 700 others (known in UK as “7/7″)
2007  “Live Earth: Concerts For a Climate In Crisis” take place in 11 locations on all 7 continents, featuring performances by over 150 musical acts
2011  “Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows: Part 2″, the final film based on the wizard fantasy books, debuts in London on its way to becoming the year’s top-grossing movie
2013  Andy Murray defeats Novak Djokovic in straight sets to become the 1st Brit to win men’s singles at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships since Fred Perry in 1936
 Ringo Starr FACTOID: He’s celebrating his 75th in front of LA’s famous Capitol Records Tower, where The Beatles recorded a handful of famous sessions.
Burglary suspect has breakdown when he realizes judge presiding over his case was his middle school playmate
Miami, Florida judge, Mindy Glazer, was presiding over the case of a man arrested for burglary and theft on Thursday.
But she suddenly realized she had seen the man before – years ago in middle school.
The judge and the suspect had once been playmates at Nautilus Middle School.
Asking the suspect standing before her if he had attended the same middle school she did, the man instantly perked up and seemed to recognize the judge. The suspect breaks into a huge smile when he spots his old pal. But then remembering the embarrassing circumstances of their reunion, he immediately breaks down and repeatedly wails, ‘Oh, my goodness! Oh, my goodness!’
In the heartrending scene, the man seems to realize the shambles he’s made of his life and his smile of recognition turns to tears as he bows his head in front of the judge while she expresses her dismay at his circumstances.
Booth’s cousin, Melissa Miller, says Booth used to be a scholar and athlete, but that drugs took over his life and he eventually turned to crime. Miller says the scene in the courtroom ‘broke [her] heart’ and that the family is trying to find Booth help.
Miller says the reunion was fortuitous in that they hope it sparks the wake-up call that Booth needs to get back on the right path. The judge wished him luck and told him she hopes he turns his life around. She then set his bail at $44,000. Booth reportedly remains behind bars for the time being.
Pizza Delivery Guy Did CPR and Saved a Man’s Life
A 19-year-old named Anson Lemmer got a summer job this month, delivering pizzas for a place in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
He was just two days into the job last Monday, when he went to drop off his last order of the night . . . and saw a guy on the ground outside the house turning BLUE. At that point someone was already on the phone with 911, and another person was doing CPR. But apparently they hadn’t been trained how to do it.
Luckily, Anson DOES know CPR. So he took over . . . started doing chest compressions . . . and saved the guy’s LIFE. When paramedics got there about 10 minutes later, the guy was already breathing again. No updates yet, but apparently he pulled through.
Anson says he called his parents afterward to tell them what happened, and told them that he started the day a “pizza boy”, but ended it a “pizza MAN.” We’re not making that up. That’s actually what he told them.
– Japanese designer Ginza Tanaka has created the world’s most expensive toilet.It is encrusted with 72,000 Swarovski crystals and costs $128,000.
★ Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, and Pharrell Williams are returning as coaches on Season 9 of “The Voice”. Levine and Shelton have been aboard since Season 1, while Stefani and Williams joined the program in Season 7. Stefani was brought on to replace Christina Aguilera, who is reportedly ‘focusing on motherhood and other projects’. The NBC-TV reality competition premiered in 2011, and will return for its 9th season this Fall.
★ Former Hollywood couple Antonio Banderas & Melanie Griffith have reportedly sold their Los Angeles property for a whopping $15.94 million, $10 million+ over what they paid for it. The 54-year-old actor and his 57-year-old estranged wife, who tied the knot in 1996, opted to sell the Hancock Park enclave after announcing their decision to divorce ‘in a loving and friendly manner’ a year ago. The property – which dates back to the 1920s – has reportedly been sold to Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix.
– MasterCard is testing a new smartphone app that allows people to pay for online purchases with a Selfie or their fingerprints. Users who choose facial recognition will have to stare at their phone and blink once while taking a Selfie. MasterCard is also experimenting with voice recognition
“Hollywood Game Night” (NBC/CTV) – Jane Lynch hosts the 3rd-season debut. Among the celebs who’ll play party games with contestants this season are Chrissy Teigen, Debra Messing, John Legend, Weird Al Yankovic, Will Arnett, and Zachary Quinto.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
Out today on DVD, Netflix, Google Play and/or other video providers …
• “Kill Me Three Times” ( R-Rated Action Thriller ) – When an eccentric assassin is hired by a wealthy man to kill his beautiful wife, he discovers he’s not the only one aiming for her murder. Soon, he finds himself at the center of a tangle of several plots for murder, mayhem, blackmail, and revenge. Stars Simon Pegg, Teresa Palmer, Alice Braga, Bryan Brown.
- “Maggie” ( PG-13 Sci-Fi Drama ): As the world recovers from a near apocalyptic virus, an infected teenage girl must find the strength to face her fleeting mortality as her father struggles helplessly to protect her and keep the family together. Stars Abigail Breslin, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Joely Richardson.
- “Woman in Gold” ( PG-13 Drama ): Oscar-winning actress Helen Mirren stars in the true life story of Maria Altmann, an octogenarian Jewish refugee who takes on several governments to recover artwork she believes rightfully belongs to her family. Co-stars Ryan Reynolds, Daniel Brühl, Katie Holmes.
Company Lost a $2.2 Million Lawsuit For Illegally DNA Testing Their Employees . . . to Find Who Pooped on the Floor
There’s a company in East Point, Georgia called Atlas Logistics Group Retail Services . . . they run a bunch of warehouses for Kroger grocery stores.
And back in 2012, they had an issue at one of their warehouses where an employee kept POOPING ON THE FLOOR.
They didn’t know who it was, so they asked several of their workers for DNA samples . . . so they could test them and connect someone to the poop.
Jack Lowe and Dennis Reynolds were two of the employees who gave samples, and they were both cleared of being the pooper . . . but then they SUED.
They said Atlas violated the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, which makes it illegal for a company to ask its employees for genetic information.
And . . . they just won. A federal jury in Atlanta awarded them $2.2 million in damages. But it looks like Atlas will be appealing. Meanwhile, they haven’t revealed if they ever caught the pooper.
THINGS THAT MAKE YA GO HMMMM:
• 62% of women say they’d never date a man that has a ponytail.
- 55% of moms say the most effective way to discipline kids is to take away their videogames.
- 30% of women say they’d never marry a man who has a bad credit score.
- 25% of employees admit they tell dirty jokes at work even though it is wrong.
- 22% of us have babysat a pet for the boss.
- 19% of us have faked a phone call in order to avoid talking to someone face-to-face.
- The first and only G-rated movie to win Best Picture was“Oliver!” in 1969. And one year later, “Midnight Cowboy” became the first and only X-rated movie to win Best Picture.
- Amazon was originally going to be called Relentless. In fact, if you go to Relentless.com, it still redirects you to Amazon.com.
- All the insects in the world combined weigh 300 times more than all the people combined.
- It takes more than 52 gallons of water to make a latte. It’s because you have to factor in the water it takes to produce the coffee, milk, sugar, and the material for the cup, sleeve, and lid.
- The sound of most toilet flushes are in the key of E flat.