- “Collector Car Appreciation Day”, the 6th annual salute to automotive hobbyists that’s geared to raising awareness of automotive restoration and collection.
- “Piña Colada Day”, saluting the refreshing tropical cocktail that originated in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The name means ‘strained pineapple’ in Spanish. The traditional recipe calls for pineapple juice, light rum, and coconut cream poured over crushed ice. Don’t forget the mini umbrella!
ON THIS DATE…………
1984, Dwight Gooden, of the New York Mets, became the youngest player to appear in an All-Star Game as a pitcher. He was 19 years, 7 months, and 24 days old.
1985, Coke announced it would begin selling both its old and new formulas together
1991, President Bush’s dog, Millie Bush, became a millionaire when royalties from her book about a dog’s life in the White House topped $1.1 million.
1999  ‘Largest Crowd to Attend a Women’s Sporting Event’ as 90,185 fill the Rose Bowl in Pasadena CA to watch US defeat China to win a 2nd Women’s World Cup of soccer
2007  Turkish adventurer Erden Eruç begins 1st solo human-powered circumnavigation of the world at Bodega Bay CA (hiking, using rowboats, kayaks, bicycles he finishes in July 2012)
Gary LeVox of Rascal Flatts (45)
Football coach Urban Meyer (51)
Johnny Depp Visits Children’s Hospital Dressed as Jack Sparrow
Johnny Depp took time off from filming the latest “Pirates Of The Caribbean” to visit a children’s hospital in costume as Captain Jack Sparrow.
Pictures of the sweet visit were posted by a Twitter account for a local children’s hospital show.
“Captain Jack Sparrow hits the Juiced set at The Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital! Legend!!” the account wrote next to a picture of Depp in full garb.
The kids couldn’t look happier to see the actor.
‘Stormtrooper’ walks 645 miles to Comic-Con in wife’s memory
A 57-year-old named Kevin Doyle is a self proclaimed Star Wars nut and he just spent the last month walking 645 miles from San Francisco to San Diego dressed as a STORMTROOPER from “Star Wars”.
He did it in memory of his wife Eileen, who passed away from pancreatic cancer in 2012. “I can just hear her say, ‘you’re such a dork,’ but she’s a self-proclaimed geek,” said Doyle.
“R2-D2 was our ring bearer,” said Doyle. The two artists had been married just one year when Eileen was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
“Of course, with pancreatic cancer, that’s a death sentence so she knew she was going to die,” he said. Eileen died on November 7, 2012. She was 45.
“I don’t feel like I’ve gotten to November 8, I’ve been stuck on November 7,” Doyle said.
He arrived at Comic-Con yesterday and Kevin was met by some other storm troopers from the local “garrison” and posted a photo with them near the ocean. He says her memory lives on through Eileen’s Little Angels, a foundation that provides gift bags to children going through chemo.
The journey to Comic-Con is in honor of his wife. The walk back will be for him.
– Japanese designer Ginza Tanaka has created the world’s most expensive toilet.It is encrusted with 72,000 Swarovski crystals and costs $128,000.
★ Former Hollywood couple Antonio Banderas & Melanie Griffith have reportedly sold their Los Angeles property for a whopping $15.94 million, $10 million+ over what they paid for it. The 54-year-old actor and his 57-year-old estranged wife, who tied the knot in 1996, opted to sell the Hancock Park enclave after announcing their decision to divorce ‘in a loving and friendly manner’ a year ago. The property – which dates back to the 1920s – has reportedly been sold to Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix.
– MasterCard is testing a new smartphone app that allows people to pay for online purchases with a Selfie or their fingerprints. Users who choose facial recognition will have to stare at their phone and blink once while taking a Selfie. MasterCard is also experimenting with voice recognition
- MLB All-Star Concert (Cincinnati OH) – Saturday the pre-All Star Game party at Paul Brown Stadium features Demi Lovato with special guest Rixon. The 86th Major League Baseball All-Star Game is Tuesday night at Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park.
- Chris Janson – The Missouri native made his CMT-produced video for “Buy Me a Boat” a family affair by filling a boat with some of his closest friends and relatives, including his wife, son, and father-in-law. TV actor-singer Charles Esten (“Nashville”) also does a cameo.
- Garth Books – Tonight-through-Sunday he hits the Big Easy with his “Garth Brooks World Tour w/Trisha Yearwood”, playing the oddly named Smoothie King Center in New Orleans LA. Grossing over $1 million at each stop on the trek, Brooks has hauled in over $90 million to date.
TODAY’S MOVIE OPENINGS:
• “Minions” ( PG Animated Family Comedy ): In this spinoff from the “Despicable Me” franchise, ‘Stuart’, ‘Kevin’, and ‘Bob’ are recruited by ‘Scarlet Overkill’, a super-villain who, alongside her husband ‘Herb’, hatches a plot to take over the world. Voice cast includes Jon Hamm, Michael Keaton, Sandra Bullock, Steve Carell. Word has it the end-credits are worth staying for.
• “Self/less” ( PG-13 Sci-Fi Thriller ): An extremely wealthy man, dying from cancer, undergoes a radical medical procedure that transfers his consciousness into the body of a healthy young man. But all is not as it seems when he uncovers the mystery of the body’s origin. Stars Ryan Reynolds, Natalie Martinez, Matthew Goode, Ben Kingsley.
A Woman Calls 911 Over Bad Chinese Food
44-year-old Tracey McCloud of Alliance, Ohio was at a Chinese restaurant called Main Moon around 4:30 P.M. on Monday, and called 911.
When the operator asked, “What’s your emergency?”, Tracey said, quote, “I had bought some Chinese food and it’s not to par with me.” And the staff refused to give her a refund.
Then the operator asked if she REALLY thought that was a good reason to call 911. And Tracey said, quote, “Umm, what am I supposed to do? Jump over the thing and beat ’em up and get my money back?”
The cops came out and arrested Tracey for misuse of 911. There’s no word on whether she wound up getting her money back.
Mountie shuts down family soccer game
Soccer lovers in Surrey B.C. may be thinking twice before playing in public parks, after a family soccer game was brought to an abrupt end by police who kicked them off for not having a permit.
Satnam Singh Pawer said he and others were playing soccer near an elementary school when a bylaw officer called the RCMP to help boot them from the city field.
In a heated exchange that was caught on camera, the RCMP officer told Singh his family would need a permit to continue playing on city property. In the video, she is seen clapping her hands and saying, “Listen to me, I’m in charge here today. So today, you will pick up your cones. You will go home.”
When Pawer and others protest, the RCMP officer tells them to make a formal complaint to the city. When they ask if the rule only applies to the one field, the bylaw officer says, “It is for all the city parks, sir.”
The video ends with the men taking down the case file number and angrily asking for the officers’ names so they can make a complaint. Pawar and his relatives say the confrontation was frustrating, and that it upset his ten-year-old son.
Owen Croy, Surrey’s manager of parks, said the city encourages families to use the facilities.
“The City of Surrey welcomes families and their kids to recreate and play games in our parks. That’s what they’re there for.”
But he also said the officer was not entirely incorrect. Official games do technically need permits, but families playing informal games should be allowed to use the space as long as it’s free. “The bylaw officer actually followed the letter of the bylaw, however, perhaps a bit more discretion could have been used,” Croy said.
Couple From Indiana Spent $75,000 to Fly to Their Favorite Pub in England Every Six Weeks
Dolores and Matthew Lawrence of Bloomington, Indiana went on a trip to the U.K. in 2011. As they traveled around Birmingham, England, they popped into a British pub called The Plough . . . and they LOVED it.
So for the past four years, they’ve flown 8,700 miles roundtrip to England every SIX WEEKS, just to have a drink at The Plough. And it’s cost them over $75,000.
Why do they love it so much? Dolores says, quote, “It’s everything that we imagined an English pub should be . . . people here are so friendly. You would never go into a bar and start talking to people [in the U.S.]”
They like it SO much that now they’re trying to MOVE to Birmingham. Matthew works as an insurance adjustor for Liberty Mutual, and thinks he’ll be able to transfer soon. Dolores is a nurse and she’s pretty sure she can find a job over there too.
Their 18-year-old son Achilles also just decided to go to Coventry University in England.
Is “The Shoe” the New “Dress”?
We were finally getting over the madness of ‘The Dress’ . . . that stupid dress that was either white-and-gold or blue-and-black. But now ANOTHER viral photo is here to mess with your eyes.
Meet the latest version of The Dress . . . ‘The Shoe.’
There’s a girl on Twitter from Boston named TotallyMendes, and on Wednesday she tweeted a picture of a high heel, two bottles of nail polish, and asked, quote, “Which color matches the shoes best?”
And just like the dress . . . there doesn’t seem to be one correct answer.
One nail polish looks purple, one looks pink, and as for the shoe . . . well, whether you think it looks purple, pink, or BOTH depends on you.