- “Best Friend Day”, a day to salute our BFFs for being there … when nobody else is.
- “World Oceans Day”, a UN observance to honor our oceans, their marine life, and their sea-lanes that enable international trade.
ON THIS DATE
1869, the vacuum cleaner was invented
1936, parking meters were invented
1966  NFL and AFL football leagues announce their merger
2014  World’s oldest man, Alexander Imich, passes away at age 111 in NYC (Japan’s Sakari Momoi now has the title at 112; oldest woman is Jeralean Talley of Inkster MI at 116)
Actress – Juliana Margulies – 49
Barbara Bush (90)
Father Reunites With His Long Lost Daughter After Years of Searching . .
Dean Harper of Montreal, Quebec was separated from his daughter Athena 16 years ago. She was two when he and her mother got divorced.
He says he’s been searching for her the entire time, but it really picked up three years ago when he found her in a video on Facebook. He’s been going through Google Street View ever since to find a spot that matches the location in the video.
And earlier this year, he FINALLY cracked it. He tracked down a foster home where he believed she’d been living for years.
When he contacted them about his daughter, they confirmed it . . . then immediately stuck him with a bill for $7,800 to pay for her time there.
That’s especially ridiculous since they actually HAD HIS NAME and information on file all along, but never bothered to contact him.
Athena is 18 now, and both she and Dean say they’re overjoyed to finally be reunited.
But as for that bill and the foster home not reaching out . . . yeah, they’re not thrilled about it, and they’re considering legal action.
★ Showtime network has doubled its order for David Lynch’s upcoming TV series “Twin Peaks”. Now 18 episodes are being lined up for the much-anticipated revival next year. The mystery drama reboot comes 25 years after the original. Cast members Kyle MacLachlan, Sheryl Lee, and Sherilyn Fenn are returning; as well as Angelo Badalamenti, who created the original ABC-TV series’ memorable theme song and soundtrack.
– Contact Music claims Brad Pitt is doing a sequel to ‘World War Z’. It will be released in 2017. The original made $540 million
★ Jon Stewart and “The Daily Show”, the Comedy Central powerhouse he’s soon to depart, have initiated a 5-week boot camp for military veterans who want to work … in show biz. The project has been quietly developed over 3 years and is already paying off in jobs for vets. A longtime lampooner of America’s wars, Stewart is at the same time a big supporter of veterans, making hospital visits and doing tours of bases. As to providing vets with free training in other fields, Stewart says: “Please steal our idea.” – “New York Times”
– ESPN claims Rob Gronkowski and his family are taping an episode of Family Feud this weekend
– CNN claims Apple is recalling 223,000 Beats Pill XL speakers because the batteries can overheat and catch fire
Police Catch a Convenience Store Burglar By Following His Trail of Nacho Cheese
20-year-old Francisco Munoz of Iowa City, Iowa was drunk on Friday night and broke into a convenience store. He stole some snacks, nachos with liquid cheese, lottery tickets, and two cases of Corona. Then he took off.
By the time the cops got there he was gone . . . but he left some very good clues.
Specifically, there was a trail of snacks and nacho cheese leading away from the store. And the cops followed it down the street RIGHT to him. His shirt was COVERED in cheese and his blood-alcohol level was .270.
He was arrested and charged with burglary, criminal mischief, and public intoxication
82-Year-Old Man Slashes a Woman’s Tires For Taking His Favorite Bingo Seat
82-year-old Fred Smith lives in a retirement community in Lake Wales, Florida. And last Monday, he went to its weekly bingo game.
But when he went to sit down in his favorite seat, an 88-year-old woman named Ethel Britt had already TAKEN it.
That made Fred so angry that he stormed out, grabbed an ICE PICK, and used it to slash the TIRES on Ethel’s van.
But he was caught on a surveillance camera, and got arrested for criminal mischief.
- In 1992, the average person got 2.5% of their calories from alcohol . . . now it’s up to 10%.
- There’s one ATM in Antarctica . . . and it’s run by Wells Fargo. So if you have a Wells Fargo account, there’s no ATM fee.
- Charlie Chaplin’s original career plan was to be a hog farmer in Arkansas . . . but when he found out he’d have to castrate his hogs, he decided to go with show business.
- A man has a 50% chance of having male pattern baldness by the time he’s 50.
• “Electric Slide” – Patricia Arquette is following up her ‘Best Supporting Actress’ Oscar for “Boyhood” by playing a real-life bank robber’s former girlfriend. Jim Sturgess stars as Eddie Dodson, an elegant criminal who robbed 64 banks in only 9 months during the early 1980s. Also in the cast: Isabel Lucas, Chloe Sevigny, and French star Christopher Lambert.
- “Indiana Jones” – 35-year-old “Guardians Of the Galaxy” star Chris Pratt admits it would be cool to play the swaggering archaeologist in Disney’s upcoming reboot of the adventure franchise but, contrary to rumors, no one’s asked him yet. Meantime, 68-year-old Steven Spielberg is said to be interested in returning to direct, but is said to be waiting to see the script.
- “The LEGO Movie 2″ – Despite a snub by the Oscars, producers have hired director Rob Schrab (“Community”, “The Mindy Project”) for a sequel to the critically acclaimed animated movie. “The LEGO Movie” took almost $500 million worldwide on a budget of just $60 million. The sequel is pencilled in for 2018, a year after a ‘Batman’ LEGO feature hits screens.
• “Pee-wee’s Big Holiday” – 63-year-old Paul Reubens is returning as his eccentric kids’ character ‘Pee-wee Herman’ in a new Netflix feature film, the first standalone ‘Pee-wee’ feature since 1988′s “Big Top Pee-wee”. Reubens’ TV series, “Pee-wee’s Playhouse”, ran on CBS 1986-91. Judd Apatow is producing the new project. Shooting begins in March.
There’s a Cell Phone the Size of a Credit Card, and It Only Makes Calls
There’s a product up on Kickstarter right now called the Light Phone, and it’s the exact OPPOSITE of your current smart phone.
It’s the size of a credit card, it fits in your wallet, and it only has ONE function: Phone calls. It won’t text, email, tweet, play games, or stream movies. It just lets you make and receive phone calls.
It works like a prepaid cell phone, so you pay to load up the SIM card with minutes. You can also leave your regular phone at home and have it forward calls to your Light Phone, so you never miss an important call.
You can get it for $100 by going to kickstarter dot comand searching for “light phone.”
Unfortunately they won’t be ready to ship until a year from now