- “National Canoe Day” in Canada. The canoe has been chosen as one of the ‘Seven Wonders of Canada’.
- “Take Your Dog to Work Day”, the 17th annual created by Pet Sitters International to give dog owners the opportunity to invite their ‘best friend’ to participating workplaces.
ON THIS DATE………….
1819, The bicycle was patented by W.K. Clarkson, Jr.
1896, the first movie theatre opened and charged a 10-cent admission fee
1912, the Oreo cookie was created
1952, The Guiding Light debuted on CBS
1981  ‘Most Coupons Used In a Single Purchase’ as Virginia Campbell of Mountain Home, Idaho buys $24,460 worth of groceries in a supermarket and uses clipped coupons and rebates to cover all but 67 cents of the bill
2013, Former Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez was charged with murder. The team released him. Authorities said Odin Lloyd was shot multiple times in the back and chest. They said Hernandez was upset with Lloyd after the two had a dispute at a nightclub a few days earlier
NFL QB – Michael Vick (35)
Former NYY baseball player – Derek Jeter (41)
Country Singer – Gretchen Wilson (42)
Blind Rescue Pooch And ‘Guide Dog’ BFF Are Inseparable.
Glenn, a Jack Russell terrier who is blind, and Buzz, a Staffordshire bull terrier, were found abandoned in a British sea tunnel about three weeks ago and were rescued,
The pair are now staying STRAY AID, a dog rescue charity in the small town where they were found.
The staff at the organization say that the two pooches have been more than just inseparable — Buzz actually guides his buddy around. Now, the pair are in need of a forever home and because of their special relationship, the charity requires that Glenn and Buzz be adopted together.
“Buzz acts as Glenn’s eyes and it’s as simple as that. Glenn gets his confidence from Buzz,” Sue Bielby, the vet director of the charity, said in a statement. “If they are separated even for a few minutes they both bark and become distressed so they would need to have a loving home together.”
When the dogs are indoors, Buzz nudges Glenn to where he needs to go, guiding him to his bed or toward his food and Buzz also keeps his friend from banging into things while inside. It’s not certain why the dogs are so close, it’s suspected that they have been buds for quite some time.
Doctors Said a Girl Would Never Talk, But Now She’s Recording Her First Single
There’s 19-year-old girl in Buffalo, New York named Amber Simone Chinn, and she was born with a birth defect where parts of your skull fuse together too early, so your brain can’t grow the way it’s supposed to.
She had surgery when she was six months old, and her doctors didn’t think she’d ever be able to breathe on her own. Which meant getting a tracheotomy to put a breathing tube in . . . meaning she might never be able to talk.
But luckily she DID start breathing on her own. And now a video of her SINGING at a friend’s graduation party earlier this month has gotten more than two million hits on Facebook.
The song she does is by an R&B singer named Jhene Aiko, and she actually has a really good voice.
She says she’s currently in college, majoring in music and psychology. But she’s also trying to launch a music career, and she’s recently been working with a producer on her first single.
★ Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, and Pharrell Williams are returning as coaches on Season 9 of “The Voice”. Levine and Shelton have been aboard since Season 1, while Stefani and Williams joined the program in Season 7. Stefani was brought on to replace Christina Aguilera, who is reportedly ‘focusing on motherhood and other projects’. The NBC-TV reality competition premiered in 2011, and will return for its 9th season this Fall.
★ There’s been an official Barbie YouTube channel since 2005, and about 650,000 people subscribe to it. But they just gave her a video blog. It’s a computer animated cartoon that’s supposed to be like an actual YouTube blog, so she’s sitting in her bedroom talking directly to the camera. They’ve only posted one so far called “Barbie Vlog #1”, where she lists a bunch of things you might not know about her. Apparently she’s originally from Wisconsin, but lives in Malibu . . . both of her parents are writers . . . she hates spiders and soda . . . she’s been dressing herself since she was two . . . and she puts honey on her broccoli (Here’s a clip from her vlog.)
COMING UP THIS WEEKEND……………
- Big Barrel Festival (Dover DE) – Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, and Carrie Underwood headline this inaugural 3-day country music event at The Woodlands of Dover International Speedway. Also on the bill: Chris Young, Jake Owen, Kacey Musgraves and oodles more.
- “Falling Skies” (TNT) – Sunday the 5th and final season debut for this drama about Earthlings fighting back against an alien invasion.
- Farmborough (NYC) – This new 3-day country fest on Randall’s Island is the 1st-ever in the Big Apple. The headliners are Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, and Luke Bryan.
- “Humans” (AMC) – Sunday the debut of a new London-set series that imagines a world in which families own artificially intelligent servants called ‘Synths’. In this futuristic drama, they’re bought and sold and used for jobs like farming, housekeeping, and in some cases, prostitution.
TODAY’S MOVIE OPENINGS:
• “Max” ( PG Family Adventure ): A dog that helped US Marines in Afghanistan returns home and is adopted by his handler’s family after suffering a traumatic experience. Stars Thomas Haden Church, Josh Wiggins, Lauren Graham. Based on a true story.
• “Ted 2″ ( R-Rated Comedy ): Newlywed couple ‘Ted & Tami-Lynn’ want to have a baby, but in order to be a parent, ‘Ted’ the bear (voice of director Seth MacFarlane) has to prove he’s a person in a court of law. Stars Mark Wahlberg, Amanda Seyfried
Guy Got Robbed After He’d Just Robbed a Gas Station
24-year-old Christopher Voshell of Des Moines, Iowa robbed a gas station on Monday night, so he could have some money to go drinking at a bar. He stole about $200 from the clerk.
But as he was leaving the gas station, a car started following him. And when he got to the parking lot of the bar, a guy jumped out and robbed HIM . . . and stole the money he’d just stolen.
So Christopher responded by . . . calling the cops and telling them he was robbed.
But they realized he was the person who’d just knocked off the gas station, so he was arrested for aggravated theft and a probation violation. As far as we know they didn’t catch the guy who robbed him.
SCIENTIFIC REASONS DRINKING BEER IS ACTUALLY GOOD FOR YOU:
• Helps you live longer. Virginia Tech researchers have found that moderate beer drinkers are 19% less likely to die during any given time period than those who never touch a drop.
- Good for your gut. A new book, “The Diet Myth”, claims that drinking Belgian beer is actually beneficial to development of gut bacteria, which can aid efficient digestion.
- Helps fight cancer. Xanthohumol – a flavonoid found in hops – is an antioxidant which inhibits cancer-causing enzymes.
- Keeps brain sharp. A study in the “New England Journal of Medicine” finds that women who have 1 alcoholic drink a day are less likely to experience declining mental faculties as they age.
- Prevents kidney stones. A recently published study finds that people who drink a moderate amount of beer are up to 41% less likely to develop kidney stones.
- Some beer is actually lo-cal. Guinness has released statistics showing that its heavy, dark brew is lower in calories than either orange juice or skimmed milk.
- Makes bones stronger. Beer is rich in dietary silicon, a key to building bone mineral density, according to a study in the “Journal of the Science of Food & Agriculture”.
– Condensed from Metro.co.uk
One in Five People With Dogs Have Gotten a Date on a Walk
It’s REALLY easy to start a conversation with someone when you’re both walking dogs.
A new survey found one in five people say they’ve gotten a date while they were walking their DOG.
The most common place they’ve met someone is at a park . . . on the sidewalk . . . and at the beach.
The survey did find that 25% of people say they’d be turned off by someone walking a dog that didn’t fit their personality . . . like a guy with a little poodle, or a woman with a giant Rottweiler.
But as long as your dog matches you, it really SHOULD help you meet someone . . . 52% say they like approaching people with dogs because they’re usually friendlier, and 46% say they’re more attractive.
- There are currently eight Oscar Mayer Wienermobiles in the U.S. They each drive around a specific area of the country.
- When the first typewriter was created in 1868, the creators saved money by not including keys for a zero or a one . . . they figured people could just use “O” and “I.”
- Some species of caterpillars have evolved to look like bird poop, so if a bird spots them, they won’t get eaten.
- In the official Monopoly rules, the reward for landing on Free Parking is . . . nothing. But almost no one plays that way. Most people tie some amount of money to landing there.
SCREECH IS GOING TO JAIL!
Dustin Diamond, who played Screech on “Saved by the Bell, was sentenced to four months in jail for stabbing a guy in a bar fight on New Year’s Day.
He was ordered to report to jail on Sunday, and got 15 months of probation. He also was ordered to pay the victim $1,105. A few months ago, he was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon and disorderly conduct.
The fight allegedly began when he and his girlfriend were inside a bar and a group of drunken guys were rude to them. He said when they tried to leave, he saw his girlfriend was bleeding and two guys were holding her hair. Then a guy grabbed Dustin, and he stabbed him.