- “St John’s Day”, commemorating the birth of St John the Baptist, and the 2nd day of Midsummer celebrations in many European countries. It’s variously celebrated as …
– “San Juan Day” in Puerto Rico. Among the traditions: Puerto Ricans go to a beach, walk into the water and walk out backwards 7 times, then throw themselves on the sand for good luck, and finally … jump in for a swim.
– “St-Jean Baptiste Day”, the “Fête Nationale” holiday in the province of Québec and in French-Canadian communities across the country. Besides Québec, St John the Baptist is also the patron saint of auto routes, candlemakers, health spas, road workers, and wool workers.
ON THIS DATE……….
1983, the space shuttle Challenger, carrying America’s first woman in space, Sally K. Ride, coasted to a safe landing at Edwards Air Force Base in California
1994  Disney movie “The Lion King” opens in wide release and grosses $41 million during its initial weekend, a then-record for an animated film
1997, the Air Force released a report on the so-called “Roswell Incident,” suggesting the alien bodies witnesses reported seeing in 1947 were actually life-sized dummies
2010, Apple released the iPhone 4
2010, John Isner of the United States defeated Nicolas Mahut of France at Wimbledon, in the longest match in professional tennis history.
Actress – Minka Kelly (35)
Al ‘Happy Days’ Molinaro (96)
A Cat Was Named ‘Dog of the Year’ for Saving a Kid from a Dog Attack
A dog attacked a four-year-old kid in Bakersfield, California last year, and you might remember the story . . . because the kid was rescued by the family CAT.
It was the neighbor’s dog, and it basically tried to rip the kid’s LEG off. Then the kid’s cat came charging in out of nowhere . . . attacked the dog . . . and saved his life.
She’s a seven-year-old tabby named Tara, and a video of the whole thing went viral.
Now she’s back in the news, because the SPCA in Los Angeles just gave her their annual “National Hero Dog Award.” Yes . . . to a cat.
Apparently they don’t have an award for cats, which is probably fair enough. How often do you hear about a CAT saving someone’s life?
But they were so impressed with what Tara did, they decided to break tradition last week. They crossed out the word “dog” on the trophy, and gave it to a cat for the first time in 33 years.
Tara’s owners also get a year’s worth of free cat food from Purina.
★ Former Hollywood couple Antonio Banderas & Melanie Griffith have reportedly sold their Los Angeles property for a whopping $15.94 million, $10 million+ over what they paid for it. The 54-year-old actor and his 57-year-old estranged wife, who tied the knot in 1996, opted to sell the Hancock Park enclave after announcing their decision to divorce ‘in a loving and friendly manner’ a year ago. The property – which dates back to the 1920s – has reportedly been sold to Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix.
– CNN claims “Jurassic World” has become the fastest movie to earn $1 billion. The movie hit the mark in 13 days. ”Jurassic World” beat the “Furious 7” record of 17 days
– Bowling, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, surfing and wushu may be added to the 2020 Olympics
”Big Brother” (CBS/Global) – The 17th season debut introduces some new twists. This perennial favorite hosted by Julie Chen airs Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.
- “Jaws” ( PG Thriller ) – Steven Spielberg’s shark classic comes to the bigscreen again as “Turner Classic Movies Presents: Jaws 40th Anniversary” in select cinemas for 2 showings today. The 1975 film, featuring a Great White Shark that terrorizes ‘Amity Island’, stars Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss.
A Guy’s Wife Divorced Him, So He Cut Everything in Half . . . Including Their Car
A woman in Germany recently left her husband of 12 years. And if the way he reacted is any indication, maybe she was right to bail.
He says when she left, she demanded half of everything. So he LITERALLY gave her half. He took all their most valuable possessions, and sawed them in half.
He cut their sofa in half . . . their MacBook Pro . . . his iPhone . . . his motorcycle helmet . . . a bike . . . their bed . . . their mailbox . . . their big screen TV . . . her teddy bear . . . and even cut their CAR in half.
Then he sent one half of each item to his ex-wife. He’s selling his half of everything on eBay. As of last night, the high bid on the front half of his car was $64. Or you can get half of their sofa for seven bucks.
He also posted a video that shows him cutting it all up. The title’s in German, but it says “For Laura” And maybe she was cheating, because the description says, “Thank you for 12 ‘beautiful’ years, Laura. You’ve really earned half. Greetings also to my successor.”
Utah man returns 75-pound bag of cash found on highway
A Utah man got a surprise when he stopped to pull a large orange bag off the highway, fearing that it would become a traffic hazard.
The sack was filled with smaller bags packed with currency including $50 and $100 bills. Kennedy estimated each of the small bags contained $22,000
It was unclear Thursday how much money the entire bag contained. Kennedy tried but failed to chase down the Brink’s armored truck that had lost the bag. He then drove the money to his work parking lot and called the police.
The three Utah Highway Patrol troopers were “stunned” at the bag of money, Kennedy said. “Never in all my years have I heard of a bag of money bouncing out of the back of an armored truck,” said trooper Brady Zaugg.
“That’s something that happens in the spy movies.”
Kennedy said it never occurred to him to do anything other than turn in the money.
“He hadn’t disturbed it at all, so he obviously did the right thing for the right reason,” said Zaugg, who said Kennedy reported his find to the police immediately.
Brink’s employees told police they drove over a bad bump on a highway off-ramp but didn’t notice the back latch opening or the bag falling out. Kennedy said he hasn’t heard anything about a reward for his good deed, but he was still excited by the unusual discovery. “I was just jazzed all day long,” he said.
ODD WAYS TO PREDICT THE WEATHER:
•” Count the number of cricket chirps in 14 seconds, then add 40 to get the temperature on the ground in degrees Fahrenheit.
- ” Frogs become a whole lot louder when stormy weather is on the way.
- ” A halo will form around the Sun or Moon when ice crystals high up refract light. That’s a sign that the weather is going to change and most likely bring rain.
- ” Farmers often say that cows huddle together to seek comfort before a storm because they can sense low pressure systems. They’re also more likely to lie down.
- ” When birds are soaring high in the sky, the skies are probably fair; whereas in storm systems, the falling pressure in the air causes discomfort and birds stay low to the ground.
- ” According to beekeepers, hives get awfully cozy right before it rains as the bees take shelter.
- ” Fluffy white clouds are good news when it comes to weather, and the higher the better.
- ” Low pressure and high humidity allow fragrances to escape, so the scent of flowers or grass will be stronger when it’s about to rain.
- ” Pine cones close up when humidity increases to protect seeds from getting drenched in oncoming rain.– Condensed from MentalFloss.com
- In London in the 1800s, mail was delivered 12 times a day.
- Despite what the“Jurassic Park” movies say, velociraptors were only about three feet tall and 30 pounds. There’s also no evidence they hunted in packs, they were definitely too dumb to communicate, and they probably had feathers.
- There’s a sacred island in Japan called Itsukushima where it’s illegal to die. No one has broken that law and died there since 1878.
- Donuts only make up 10% of Dunkin’ Donuts revenue . . . the bulk of their money comes from coffee.
WAYS TO STAY AWAKE WHEN ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS SLEEP:
✓ Drink water. Dehydration is often among the main causes of drowsiness.
✓ Go outside and expose yourself to sunlight. Vitamin D from the Sun increases energy.
✓ Physical activity helps. If you can’t take an exercise break, simply wiggle your feet, bounce your knees, stretch your legs, etc.
✓ Stimulating your sense of smell by sniffing citrus or peppermint scent can help wake you up.
✓ ‘Acupressure’ helps. Pull down on your earlobes or rub the back of your hand between thumb and index finger.
✓ Turn the AC on. Hot and stuffy air contributes to both physical and mental fatigue.
✓ Do something simple differently. Even writing with a new pen can stimulate your mind.
✓ Have a good laugh. Laughing at a joke or a funny video will serve to wake you up.
✓ Choose snacks that are high in protein and low in sugar for a quick and healthy energy boost.
✓ To keep your mind active, try to switch tasks as often as possible.
✓ Listen to music. If you can, sing or hum along to the songs.
– Adapted from List25.com
“Eight Is Enough” Star Dick Van Patten Has Died
DICK VAN PATTEN died yesterday of complications from diabetes. He was 86.
He’s best known for playing the dad on the late ’70s show “Eight Is Enough” . . . but he was also on “The Love Boat”, “The New Dick Van Dyke Show”, “Love, American Style”, “The Partners”, and “Mama”, way back in the ’50s.
He also played King Roland in “Spaceballs”, and was also in the Mel Brooks movies “High Anxiety” and “Robin Hood: Men in Tights”. His other movies include: “Soylent Green”, “Westworld”, “Charly”, and the original “Freaky Friday”.
Dick was also an animal lover, who founded Natural Balance Pet Foods in 1989. He famously bragged that his dog food was so good that HE eats it. His favorite flavor was “Irish Stew,” and he once joked, quote, “I may eat nine bowls of dog food, because eight isn’t enough.”