- “Fresh Veggies Day”, encouraging us to eat healthy by including fresh veggies with every meal and snack. Better still, be a vegetarian for a day. Your body will like it.
- “Fudge Day”, celebrating the ooey-gooey treat that can be inhaled warm or cold. Fudge is said to be a result of the late-night cravings of Vassar College girls in the early 20th century.
ON THIS DATE………
1893, Cracker Jacks were invented
1903, Pepsi officially got its name
1903, Ford was incorporated
1960, Psycho premiered
1978, “Space Invaders” was first demonstrated by the Taito Corporation in Tokyo
1978, Grease was released.
1998, a 40-year-old Florida woman gave birth to a son in the first-ever live birth on the Internet. Two million people watched.
Golfer – Phil Mickelson (45)
Former boxer – Roberto Duran (64)
Bus Driver Gets an Amber Alert, and Sees the Kidnapper Sitting on His Bus
A bus driver in San Jose, California named Tim Watson got an Amber Alert from dispatch on Friday. It said a three-year-old boy had just been abducted from a library.
Tim looks to be in his early 40’s, and he has two kids of his own. So when he first saw the alert, he thought about his own kids and made sure he kept an eye out. And less than an hour later, he spotted the kidnapper sitting in the back of HIS bus.
It was a guy in his early 20’s with a crying kid. Tim realized it might be the SAME three-year-old. But instead of calling the guy out, he stayed calm. He stopped the bus so he could walk to the back and see if the kid matched the description. And to make sure the guy wouldn’t get suspicious, he told all the passengers he was looking for a green backpack someone lost.
Once he was sure it was the same kid, he called it in to dispatch. And when he pulled into the next station, the cops were waiting to arrest the guy.
He’s 23-year-old Alfonso Edington, and he’s facing kidnapping charges. Luckily the kid wasn’t hurt, and he’s back home with his mom.
★ Frank Sinatra’s ‘little black book’ has sold at auction for $8,960. The leather address book from the legendary crooner who died in 1998 at age 82 reads like a who’s who of the showbiz world, featuring names & numbers of famous friends like actors John Wayne and Sidney Poitier, influential political figures, and more than a few Hollywood hotties. After all, the guy was a chick magnet.
- “America’s Got Talent” (NBC/CityTV) – Big, dangerous, and/or extreme acts audition outside the theater.
- “Proof” (TNT) – Debut of a new drama starring Jennifer Beals as a surgeon who wants to determine once and for all if there’s life after death. Co-stars Matthew Modine
– Japanese designer Ginza Tanaka has created the world’s most expensive toilet.It is encrusted with 72,000 Swarovski crystals and costs $128,000.
– CNN claims American Pharoah’s owners will receive between $100,000 for every foal he fathers. He is the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years.
★ Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, and Pharrell Williams are returning as coaches on Season 9 of “The Voice”. Levine and Shelton have been aboard since Season 1, while Stefani and Williams joined the program in Season 7. Stefani was brought on to replace Christina Aguilera, who is reportedly ‘focusing on motherhood and other projects’. The NBC-TV reality competition premiered in 2011, and will return for its 9th season this Fall.
Guy Was Arrested Between His Wedding and the Reception .
42-year-old Todd Sandefer of Milnesville, Pennsylvania got married last week . . . but between the ceremony and the reception, the cops showed up.
It turns out Todd had four outstanding warrants for failure to appear in court and some traffic citations . . . and someone tipped off the cops about his wedding.
So . . . he was taken to jail and missed the entire reception, which apparently went on without him. But this is the best part: His new wife visited him in jail four days later . . . not to bail him out, but to get back his RENTED TUX so she could return it and not have to pay a late fee.
As far as we know, he’s still locked up.
The Tesco grocery store chain in London recently sold a batch of bananas that were infested with hundreds of deadly Brazilian spiders.
Their bites can cause painful bites Maria Layton found a spider and tells the Daily Mail: ”My husband bought the bananas from Tesco, they had been in the house a whole day before I ripped the bag open. Siri asked for a banana. The first banana had a funny bit on it, so I got another one for her and that was when I found the massive spider cocoon. There was a spider web on the other bananas too. I recognized it because I remembered seeing a news story about them, so when I saw the cocoon it rang a bell and I thought I should check it so I Googled it.
I went through the images and there was an image which looked very similar to mine. I was so scared – I don’t like spiders at the best of times, but have read about the Brazilian wandering spiders – and was very frightened about the potential threat. Tesco were a bit useless, I was really concerned about the possibility of this dangerous spider and spider eggs in my house and really wanted some helpful advice on how to act. I wasn’t sure if other spiders or eggs had escaped when I ripped the bag open. I posted the picture on Tesco Facebook page and they told me to send the wrapper in so they could get the bar-code to refund me.”
- Every single Snickers bar, except the tiny Halloween-sized ones, are made in Waco, Texas.
- “Paranormal Activity” is the most profitable movie ever, percentage wise. It cost $450,000 to make and made $89.3 million. That’s a return on investment of 19,751%.
- One out of every seven of the 50 or so Blockbuster locations left in the world are in El Paso, Texas.
- When MTV launched on August 1st, 1981 it was only available to people who subscribed to cable in a few different parts of New Jersey.
What Item in a Hotel Room Do You Never Use?
Think about how much useless crap gets crammed into a hotel room. There’s more than just a TV, a desk, and a comforter that may have never ever been washed.
A new survey asked people what stuff in hotel rooms they NEVER use. Here are the top five results . . .
- The minibar.
- The phone in the bathroom.
- The hangers specifically designed for pants.
- The shower cap.
- The DVD player.
The survey also found that free wifi is the number one thing we want from a hotel . . . a free breakfast is number two.
DO YOU DO WINDOWS?
Microsoft has announced that it will be launching ‘Windows 10′ on July 29th, and it’s already encouraging ‘Windows 7′ and ‘Windows 8.1′ users to ‘reserve’ their free upgrade with a notification on their task bar (that little flag in the bottom right corner).
While the company has been highlighting all the shiny new features in the upcoming OS, it’s been a bit quieter when it comes to spelling out things you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10.
Among them …
• Windows Media Center is no longer a part of the OS.
- Watching DVDs will require separate playback software, at least initially.
- The card game ‘Hearts’ is gone.
- Desktop Gadgets (calendar, clock, etc) disappear, although many are already disabled.
- Windows 10 ‘Home’ users will not have the option of deferring updates; they’re automatic.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
• “Chappie” ( R-Rated Sci-Fi Thriller ): In the near future, crime is patrolled by an oppressive mechanized police force. But now the people are fighting back and one police ‘droid, ‘Chappie’, has been stolen. Stars Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver.
- “The Lazarus Effect” ( PG-13 Thriller ): Olivia Wilde stars in this story about a group of medical students who discover a way to bring dead patients back to life. It’s described as a creepy cross between “Flatliners” and “Pet Cemetery”. Co-stars Mark Duplass, Evan Peters.
- “Run All Night” ( R-Rated Thriller ): A onetime Brooklyn mobster and prolific hit-man (Liam Neeson) is haunted by the sins of his past as well as a dogged police detective (Vincent D’Onofrio) who’s been after him for 30 years.
- “Unfinished Business” ( R-Rated Comedy ): Vince Vaughn plays a small business owner who travels to Europe to close the most important deal of his career. But what begins as a routine business trip quickly goes right off the rails. Co-stars Tom Wilkinson, Dave Franco.
Arnold Schwarzenegger can voice your Waze GPS app starting this week. It’s part of a promotion for “Terminator: Genisys”, which comes out July 1st. And “USA Today” has a brief preview. Unfortunately the sample is just part of the intro, not actual directions. The voice will be available until mid-July, and Arnold said he’ll definitely use it when he drives, so he can freak out his friends
The Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in Chicago last night, beating the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-0 in Game 6 of the Finals. This is their third championship in six seasons, and their sixth overall. But it was the first time they won a championship IN Chicago since 1938. Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane scored, and Duncan was a unanimous choice for the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP.
The Rock Sideswiped a Parked Truck, and the Guy Didn’t Make Him Pay, Because He’s The Rock
It’s good to be THE ROCK. DWAYNE JOHNSON was driving to a movie set in the Boston area recently, when he sideswiped a parked pickup truck, knocking its side-view mirror off.
So he turned around and went back, and the owner of the truck came out to see what happened.
In an Instagram post that included a picture of himself with his arm around the guy, The Rock says he apologized and offered to exchange information. Then the man recognized him and said, quote, “Wow, this is gonna be an awesome story!”
He adds, quote, “I started belly laughing at that, then he started laughing and before you know it we’re both standing in the middle of the street pointing to his mirror and laughing like two ol’ crazy buddies.”
The Rock checked back with the man a few days later, and he REFUSED to take any money. He told The Rock he fixed the damage himself.