- “Atlantic, Caribbean & Gulf Hurricane Season” begins and continues through November 30th. Forecasters predict the 2015 season will be relatively tame, with 6-to-11 tropical storms, 3-to-6 of which could become hurricanes. At least 2 could reach Category 3 or higher. This year’s first 5 storms are named ‘Ana’ (already happened), ‘Bill’, ‘Claudette’, ‘Danny’, and ‘Erika’.
- “Heimlich Maneuver Day”, honoring the ‘abdominal thrust’ method of stopping choking, first described by Dr Henry Heimlich in a June 1974 article in the journal “Emergency Medicine”. Dr Edward Patrick, a Heimlich associate, claims to be the procedure’s uncredited co-developer.
ON THIS DATE………..
1926, Marilyn Monroe was born Norma Jeane Mortensen
1938, the first Superman comic book was published
1974, The Heimlich maneuver for rescuing choking victims was published in the journal Emergency Medicine.
1980, CNN debuted
2009, General Motors filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy. It was the fourth largest United States bankruptcy in history.
Actress – Lisa Hartman Black (59) – (Clint Black’s other half)
Ronnie Dunn of Brooks and Dunn (62)
Actor – Morgan Freeman (78)
WEB FIND OF THE DAY – ONE HUGE STORM
Two storm chasers named Spencer Basoco and Lawrence McEwen were in Stephenville, Texas, which is southeast of Fort Worth, Texas . . . and they drove through a hail storm.
But the hail was the size of SOFTBALLS . . . and completely shattered their windshield to the point that it almost completely broke.
They took video of it, and at one point they had to stop and pull over because the hail was causing so much damage to their car.
High School Seniors in New Hampshire Cancelled a Trip to Help Their Principal Fight Cancer
The seniors at Profile High School in Bethlehem, New Hampshire were supposed to go on their senior trip this Sunday. They raised about $8,000 to spend four days at a lakeside ranch in upstate New York.
Which sounds like it would have been pretty sweet. But what they did instead was a whole lot sweeter.
Courtney Vashaw is their principal. We’re not sure how old she is, but she looks like she’s only in her 30’s. And a week ago, she announced she’s taking a leave of absence because she just got diagnosed with a rare of form of cancer.
So all the seniors got together and took a vote . . . and every single one of them voted to CANCEL the trip, and give the money to Courtney to help pay her medical bills.
One of the students told the local news that Courtney’s done so much for them, they felt like this was a chance to give something back to her.
Meanwhile, Courtney says she always tries to teach her students to be selfless and caring . . . so apparently they’ve been listening. And she added that she’s just extremely lucky to know such a “remarkable, fun, [and] astonishing group of people.”
The senior class said there will be more fundraisers to come for their beloved principal.
- “So You Think You Can Dance” (FOX/CTV) – Paul Abdul & Jason Derulo join as judges as Season 12 of the dance competition begins with auditions in Dallas TX and Memphis TN.
- “UnReal” (Lifetime/Slice/Showcase) – Debut of a new scripted drama that goes behind-the-scenes of a reality TV dating competition called “Everlasting”. A show about a show.
- “The Whispers” (ABC) – Premiere of a creepy new drama series about a mysterious something-or-other called ‘Drill’ who makes very bad suggestions to impressionable youngsters. Lily Rabe plays the psychologist who must sort all this out.
– Contact Music claims Australian officials may fine Johnny Depp $265,000 for bringing his dogs into the country illegally. He failed to declare the Yorkshire terriers and also failed to follow proper quarantine procedures
★ Showtime network has doubled its order for David Lynch’s upcoming TV series “Twin Peaks”. Now 18 episodes are being lined up for the much-anticipated revival next year. The mystery drama reboot comes 25 years after the original. Cast members Kyle MacLachlan, Sheryl Lee, and Sherilyn Fenn are returning; as well as Angelo Badalamenti, who created the original ABC-TV series’ memorable theme song and soundtrack.
– The Neverland Ranch is up for sale for $100 million. The 2,700-acre ranch has a train station, a six-bedroom house, a 50-seat movie theater and two lakes
30 People Are Kicked Out of a Hotel After a Fight Over the Waffle Maker
With the way people get territorial and greedy at hotel breakfast buffets, I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often.
A woman was at the free breakfast buffet at an America’s Best Value Inn in Pere Marquette Township, Michigan on Sunday, and wanted to use the Belgian waffle maker.
So she asked another woman if she was in line to use it. She didn’t get a response, so SHE started making a waffle. Once it was done, the other woman piped up and said SHE should get it because she was waiting.
And it was ON.
THIRTY people wound up getting in on the fight, which involved a lot of yelling and screaming, but fortunately no violence. The hotel manager wound up kicking ALL 30 of them out of the hotel, though . . . they all had to pack their bags and leave.
The police came, but no one was arrested.
LIFE BY THE NUMBERS:
• 51% of us say we’d rather attend a funeral than pay our taxes.
- 27% of us admit we regularly snack at the grocery store.
- 20% of us have missed out on a promotion at work because we dress too casually.
- 17% of pet owners allow their pets to sit on their laps while they’re driving.
- 12% have asked for help with gas money while out on a date.
- 6% of social media users say they regret posting pictures of food.
• “The Circle” – Emma Watson is reportedly in talks to replace actress Alicia Vikander in the new Tom Hanks movie as the rising Swedish star has moved on to other projects. Watson would be playing a young technology employee who becomes involved with a mysterious man, played by Hanks. The screenplay is adapted from the Dave Eggers novel of the same name.
- “It” – A planned remake of this 1986 Stephen King horror novel has been indefinitely pushed back. Production had been scheduled to start in 3 weeks, but the script is yet to be finished and director Cary Fukunaga (“True Detective”) has just left the project. King’s story about ‘The Losers Club’ was previously the basis for a 1990 TV mini-series.
- “The Legend of Conan” – Arnold Schwarzenegger says he’s been trying to make another ‘Conan the Barbarian’ movie for 20 years. Finally, the 67-year-old actor – who starred in the 1982 original – is set to reprise the iconic role in this new film which is still in development. No storyline, cast, nor release date has so far been announced.
- “The Magnificent Seven” – Due for release in January 2017, this is described as a ‘re-imagining’ of the 1960 classic Western that starred Yul Brynner. Denzel Washington is set to play the bounty hunter who hand-picks 6 gunmen to drive the bad guys out of town. Also in the cast: Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke.