- “Childhood Depression Awareness Day”, first designated by the National Mental Health Association in 1997. Also known as “Green Ribbon Day”, we’re encouraged to wear one to create awareness of the malady.
ON THIS DATE………….
1986, Joan Rivers began a late-night TV talk show on the Fox Network. It died shortly thereafter
1998, Mercedes-Benz agreed to buy Chrysler for more than $37 billion
1999, a jury found The Jenny Jones Show liable in the shooting death of Scott Amedure. Producers duped Jonathan Schmitz into appearing on a secret same-sex crush episode before he later killed Amedure. A jury awarded Amedure’s family $25 million
2008, Jessica Simpson took issue with President Bush for claiming she was responsible for the Dallas Cowboys late season collapse. When asked how the Republicans planned to beat the Democrats in the Presidential election, Dubya said, “We’re gonna send Jessica Simpson to the Democratic National Convention.”
2009, Manny Ramirez was suspended for 50 games for violating Major League Baseball’s drug policy. Yahoo Sports said the illegal substance he took was supposed to boost one’s sex drive.
Kansas City Chief QB Alex Smith (31)
A Guy Caught a Home Run While He Was Filming It . . .
A Dodgers fan who caught a home run on Saturday WHILE he was filming it.
McDonald’s is Bringing Back the Hamburglar as a Middle-Aged Hipster
Other than Ronald McDonald, there’s no McDonald’s character more famous than the Hamburglar. Somewhat maybe Grimace or Mayor McCheese
But the Hamburglar’s been in exile for a while now . . . they haven’t used him in an ad since 2002. Except yesterday they announced he’s making a comeback. And he looks . . . um . . . different. The Hamburglar you remember was cartoonish . . . he had a giant round head, one tooth, and a goofy smile. The new Hamburglar? He’s a middle-aged HIPSTER.
The guy playing the character in commercials isn’t wearing a big funny mascot head anymore . . . it’s just a regular dude with stubble. He’s still got the black mask over his eyes, a hat, and a striped shirt . . . but also has skinny jeans and red leather high tops.
Oh . . . and he’s a dad now. He’s about to start appearing in commercials for a new McDonald’s product, the Sirloin Third Pound Burger.
“The Price Is Right” Awarded a Treadmill to a Woman in a Wheelchair
A woman named Danielle Perez won two prizes on “The Price Is Right” yesterday . . . a treadmill and a sauna. The only problem is, Danielle lost her LEGS in an accident ten years ago, and uses a WHEELCHAIR.
Naturally that made it awkward when the prizes were revealed, but Drew Carey didn’t address it . . . although he seemed to speed through the pricing game. (CLIP)
Danielle didn’t address it either . . . but she’s been Tweeting about it.
She said they don’t offer cash equivalents, and the sauna isn’t wheelchair accessible. Obviously it was all an unfortunate coincidence . . . but some people think the show should’ve made sure it DIDN’T happen.
Luckily Danielle threw water on the ‘outrage.’ She Tweeted, quote, “Oh come on! Isn’t it the most hilarious though? If winning it was wrong, I don’t want to be right. I’m still cracking up.”
She also Tweeted a screenshot of her reaction on the show, with the caption, quote, “When you win a treadmill on national TV, but you have no feet.”
Last night, she was on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” to talk about what happened. (CLIP)
Jimmy Kimmel had Danielle Perez guess the price of peanut butter. Then he gave her a free wheelchair-accessible Caribbean cruise. (CLIP)
– The TV network FYI is producing a new series called ”The Seven Year Switch”. Couples will place their marriage on hold while they separate and shack up with other partners for several weeks
– The NY Daily News claims unopened boxes of Wheaties, with Bruce Jenner on the cover, are selling for $255 on eBay
– A pair of Bruce Jenner’s signed running shoes are selling on eBay for $7,900.Bruce Jenner action figures are going for $1,250
– U.S. President Barrack Obama ran into a group of young children while out for a publicity stroll with the Teacher of the Year.
– CBC claims this year’s Calgary Stampede is going to serve cockroach pizzas. A $100 hot dog with lobster, Cognac and Kobe beef will also be served
– Manny Pacquiao has a rotator cuff tear and will be out 9 -12 months following surgery** UPDATE ** TMZ claims fans, pay-per-view buyers and gamblers have filed a class action lawsuit against Manny for not disclosing his shoulder injury. The suit seeks $5 million
A Woman Is Busted For Insurance Fraud, Thanks to the Ice Bucket Challenge
The Ice Bucket Challenge is a year old at this point . . . and it’s STILL paying dividends.
39-year-old Jaime Robison is a police officer in Pasadena, California . . . and last year she did the Challenge with another cop. She picked up a five-gallon bucket of ice water and dumped it on his head.
There’s just one problem. She’d been on disability since 2012 because of a lower back injury . . . so she shouldn’t have been ABLE to lift around 40 pounds of ice and water like that.
The video found its way to city officials, and they started an investigation.
Jaime was arrested and she’s facing four counts of insurance fraud. The city says she got a total of $117,000 by exaggerating her injuries . . . and she could be facing up to six years and four months in prison.
She just pleaded not guilty.
THINGS THAT MAKE YA GO HMMMMM:
• 90% of parents say if their babysitter asked for a raise, they’d give it to them.
- 52% of women polled say their favorite thing in life is ‘sleeping’.
- 37% of us have caught a co-worker picking their nose.
- 25% of wives wish their husbands did NOT own golf clubs.
- 6% of drivers leave their keys in their vehicles … at all times.
- 2% of us have NEVER cleaned the refrigerator
Singing Along to the Radio Can Cure Your Snoring
Check out five tricks to help you if you have a SNORING problem . . .
- Sing along to the radio. A study in 2013 found that people who sing a lot are less likely to snore, because it strengthens your throat muscles.
- Sew a tennis ball into the back of a t-shirt. Sleeping on a tennis ball won’t do anything, but the point is you WON’T sleep on it. You’re just much more likely to snore if you’re on your back. And the tennis ball forces you to sleep on your side instead.
- Do some tongue aerobics. Just stick your tongue out and try to touch your chin . . . then try to touch your nose . . . then repeat it.
- Put a big book under your mattress. If it’s under your head, it forces you to sit up a little, which can stop you from snoring. You can also do it with an extra pillow, but there’s a chance you’ll toss it off your bed in the middle of the night.
- Clean your bedroom. Dust and other allergens can stuff you up at night, so you have to breathe through your mouth, and you’re more likely to snore.
- Wear compression socks. It can help with sleep apnea, because it prevents fluid from building up in your lower legs during the day. A recent study found that when you lie down, that fluid can shift to your neck area, and make you snore.