- “Bob Day”, honoring anyone with the name. Why is it they always seem to turn out to be the ultimate OK guys? Which Bobs are your favorites?
- “Paper Airplane Day”, an unofficial observance honoring the simple aeronautical toy anyone can make. You’re encouraged to stage contests for ‘greatest distance’ and ‘longest time aloft’.
ON THIS DATE………….
1907, John Wayne was born Marion Morrison in Winterset, Iowa
1975, Evel Knievel suffered severe spinal injuries in Britain when he crashed while attempting to jump 13 buses in his car.
1978, The first Atlantic City casino opened ..
1994, Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley got married in the Dominican Republic. They were divorced 19 months later.
2006  “X-Men: The Last Stand” opens in movie theaters with the then-4th-highest debut in box office history
2013  “Fast & Furious 6″ opens in 59 countries, including Canada and the USA, grossing an estimated $122 million
Actress – Helena Bonham Carter (49)
Country Singer – Hank Williams Jr (66)
Illness Made Teen Miss Her Prom, So Her Brother Staged A Second One — Just For Her
Thanks to her big brother, and the generosity of her community and friends, one Fountain City, Wisconsin teen recently got to experience the joys of prom — even though she was unable to attend her own.
On April 25, 18 year old Olivia Pelley was all dressed and ready for her prom and she had already been voted prom queen by her classmates, and the teen was excited to be attending the dance with her first date ever.
But as Olivia took photographs with her friends before the big event, she started to feel unwell.
“I couldn’t stand. I couldn’t concentrate,” the teen told ABC News. “I didn’t want to go [to the hospital]. I didn’t want to think something was wrong with me. I wanted to go to prom.”
In the end, however, Olivia had to seek medical attention and was rushed to the hospital in her prom outfit. It was a tremendous disappointment for the teen.
Seven years ago, Olivia reportedly had a kidney transplant from her dad. But this year, complications from the transplant have forced Olivia to go in and out of the hospital. According to the go fund me campaign set up by her family Doctors say the teen will need a new kidney “very soon.”
Given the challenges that Olivia has faced, her 22-year-old brother, Michael Pelley, said he was determined to give his sister something to smile about. He knew how important the prom was to his sibling, so he decided to plan a special one just for her.
“I was determined to make it happen. I couldn’t let one of the greatest moments in my sister’s life turn into the most tragic,” Michael told ABC News.
So he started planning the special event. He reached out to Olivia’s school, as well as local businesses and community members, for help.
A few local companies agreed to sponsor the event and her school also agreed to allow the “second prom” to take place in the gym.
On May 17, Olivia’s prom took place. ABC News reports that at least 70 people attended the dance, including the teen’s family, friends and schoolmates. There was also a special coronation ceremony in which she was named prom queen.
“I love my brother for doing this, it really means a lot,” Olivia told the Daily News of the event. “I’ll remember this forever.”
– The NY Daily News claims unopened boxes of Wheaties, with Bruce Jenner on the cover, are selling for $255 on eBay
– A pair of Bruce Jenner’s signed running shoes are selling on eBay for $7,900.Bruce Jenner action figures are going for $1,250
– US Weekly claims Raven-Symone may join The Voice. A source tells the mag: “They think she’s really smart but also a little kooky and so she’d be a good fit.”
– Jeff Gordon will join Fox in 2016 as a NASCAR analyst. He says: “NASCAR has provided me so many incredible memories, experiences and opportunities throughout my 23 years as a driver, and I can’t wait to start a new chapter in racing with this new relationship with Fox. I feel so lucky to be a part of a sport that I’m very passionate about, and now I get the opportunity to share that passion to millions of race fans from a whole new perspective.”
- “America’s Got Talent” (NBC/CityTV) – Season debut of what’s become a Summer perennial.
Nick Cannon returns as host; Heidi Klum, Howie Mandel, Howard Stern, and Mel B are the judges for this often quirky talent competition that’s celebrating its 10th anniversary.
- “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?” (FOX) – Season premiere. Return of the quiz show featuring adult contestants competing for $1 million against kids by answering questions ripped from grade-school textbooks.
- “Extreme Weight Loss” (ABC) – Season debut. Twins Robert & Raymond start their weight loss journey at 381 lbs and 378 lbs respectively.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
Out today on DVD, Netflix, Google Play and/or other video providers …
• “The Loft” ( R-Rated Thriller ): 5 married guys conspire to secretly share a penthouse loft, a place where they can carry out hidden affairs. But the fantasy becomes a nightmare when they discover the dead body of an unknown woman in the loft, and they realize one of the group must be involved. Stars Karl Urban, James Marsden, Wentworth Miller, Eric Stonestreet.
“Seventh Son” ( PG-13 Fantasy Adventure ): For many years, the 7th son of a 7th son (Jeff Bridges) has protected his country from all manner of things that go bump in the night. Now he’s seeking an apprentice to carry on. His last hope is a young farmer’s son (Ben Barnes). Does he stand a chance against the most dangerous witch in the county (Julianne Moore)?
A Guy Was So Mad About Getting Bumped From a Flight That He Stripped Naked
A guy was at Charlotte Douglas International Airport in North Carolina on Wednesday morning, getting ready to fly to Jamaica on U.S. Airways. Then he found out his flight was overbooked, and he got BUMPED.
So he yelled at the staff at the desk, but it didn’t get him anywhere. Then he went silent . . . stripped off all his clothes . . . and just stood there completely naked.
From the pictures, he looks like he’s in his 50s or 60s, so he was quite the portrait of skin and flesh.
The police came and eventually took him away, but they wound up not filing any charges. We don’t know if he eventually made it to Jamaica on a different flight.
- Mike Tyson only got $50,000 from Nintendo for “Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out”.
- One in four Americans over 60 have lost all their teeth.
- James Cameron worked as a truck driver after he dropped out of college in 1974, but he was inspired to quit to take a shot at the film industry after he saw “Star Wars” in 1977.
- The three largest employers in the world are the U.S. Department of Defense, the Chinese military, and Walmart.