- “Plant Something Day”, which many people would do if they could only be assured the plant would grow. What’s the most foolproof plant you can stick in your garden?
ON THIS DATE…………
1310, shoes were designed specifically for the right and left foot
1884, the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus first performed
1962, Marilyn Monroe sung “Happy Birthday” to John F. Kennedy
2005, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith opened by making $50 million
2006  “The Da Vinci Code” starring Tom Hanks opens in movie theaters, based on the mega-selling Dan Brown novel (eventually accrues $758 million in worldwide box office)
2013  Taylor Swift wins 8 awards at the Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas (with 8 more at this year’s gala, she’s now the award show’s most decorated artist with a total of 20)
2013  Donald Trump declares country singer Trace Adkins winner of “The Celebrity Apprentice” (NBC)
NBA basketball player – Kevin Garnett (39)
 Peter Mayhew, 7′-3″ movie actor (‘Chewbacca’ in “Star Wars” films) who will again appear in “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens” (December 18th)
Two Long-Lost Sisters Ended Up in the Same Class at Columbia
A 35-year-old named Lizzie Valverde went back to school two years ago to study writing at Columbia University. And a teacher in one of her classes asked everyone to introduce themselves.
Lizzie explained how she was adopted, and talked about where she came from. After class, a student named Katy Olson came over and started asking REALLY specific questions, like was she born in Florida, and was her biological mom named Leslie.
It turns out Katy was adopted too . . . and the two of them are long-lost SISTERS. Lizzie was put up for adoption around 1980, and Katy was born a year later. But Lizzie went to a couple in New Jersey, and Katy grew up in Florida and Iowa.
Katy had been trying to track Lizzie down, while Lizzie didn’t even know she HAD a sister. But she HAD tracked down their mother. Her name is Leslie Parker, and she’s 54. She got pregnant when she was just a teenager.
Lizzie is graduating today with a degree in creative writing, and Katy graduated with the same degree last year . . . and she’s going to meet Leslie for the very first time at Lizzie’s graduation.
Leslie told the “New York Times” she couldn’t be prouder, because she always wanted to be a writer too.
Here are this past weekend’s box office results.
1.”Pitch Perfect 2,” $70.3 million ($26.9 million international).
2.”Mad Max: Fury Road,” $44.4 million ($65 million international).
3.”Avengers: Age of Ultron,” $38.8 million ($185 million international).
4.”Hot Pursuit,” $5.8 million.
5.”Furious 7,” $3.6 million
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
• “American Sniper ( R-Rated War Drama ): Director Clint Eastwood’s take on the real-life story of Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle was Oscar-nominated, as was lead actor Bradley Cooper. After returning home from 4 tours of duty, Kyle finds he has trouble leaving war behind. Co-stars Sienna Miller, Kyle Gallner.
- “Hot Tub Time Machine 2″ ( R-Rated Comedy ): In this unlikely sequel to a preposterous premise, the guys again fire up the hot tub time machine in an attempt to get back to the past, but inadvertently land in the future. Now they have to alter the future in order to save the past … which is really the present. Stars Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, Clark Duke, Adam Scott.
TONIGHT’S TV FINALÉS:
• “Dancing With the Stars” (ABC/CTV2) – Season 20 finalé, Part 2. Musical performances include Jason Derulo, Patti LaBelle, and Sia; the winner is announced.
- “The Flash” (CW) – Season 1 finalé.
- “The Voice” (NBC/CTV2) – Appearances by Maroon 5; Luke Bryan; Kelly Clarkson; John Fogerty; Meghan Trainor. The Season 8 winner is revealed.
David Letterman Has Revealed His Final Guest . . . and It’s Not Jay Leno
DAVID LETTERMAN has revealed his final guest: It’s BILL MURRAY, which makes sense, because Bill was Dave’s first guest on both “The Late Show” back in 1993 AND “Late Night” in 1982.
Bill’s episode will air on Tuesday. The day before will feature TOM HANKS and EDDIE VEDDER. The final episode airs on Wednesday, and it won’t be a traditional show.
Instead, it’ll be a “tribute” episode . . . filled with, quote, “surprises, memorable highlights, and the show’s final Top Ten List.”
There was speculation that JAY LENO might be the final guest, as a way for them to bury the hatchet. But that seemed less likely after Dave addressed it on his show earlier this week.
He said, quote, “Jay asked me to be on when he was finishing his show. I said, ‘That’s a lovely offer, but I think it should be more about just Jay on his final week of shows.’ So I declined . . . I think he may feel the same way about this situation.”
UPS Delivered a Four-Pound Package of Weed to a Guy’s House
The police in Akron, Ohio suspected 46-year-old Andrew Palmer was dealing drugs, so they went to his house on a Tuesday afternoon last month.
And they were right to be suspicious . . . but Andrew didn’t have any drugs there at the TIME, so he let them in to search his house.
And while they were rooting around in there, UPS showed up with a package for Andrew . . . with four pounds of MARIJUANA inside.
So he was arrested for drug trafficking.
THINGS THAT MAKE YA GO HMMM
- 87% of women who have hair extensions do not tell anyone … even their BFF.
- 55% of women do NOT allow their men to do the laundry.
- 40% of us have gone to the supermarket express lane with too many items just to see if we could get away with it.
- 20% of us admit that we are jealous of a neighbor’s lawn.
- 7% of women admit they have painted their nails … while driving.
- 3% of us have left voicemail … for our pets.
Seven Condiments and How Bad They Are for You
Your favorite condiment might be ruining your diet if you eat it a lot. Here are seven condiments, and how bad they are for you.
- Salsa. It might be the healthiest condiment out there, because it’s mostly vegetables. One tablespoon only has five calories.
- Mustard is another one that’s not bad, because it’s loaded with antioxidants, vitamin B, and niacin, which can help lower your cholesterol. And a tablespoon only has about 15 calories. But it tends to be high in salt, so don’t use too much.
- Sriracha. It’s made from chili peppers, vinegar, and garlic, and one tablespoon has 15 calories. But again, don’t use too much, because it has a lot of sugar and salt.
- Relish. One tablespoon has 20 calories. But it usually has a TON of salt and sugar.
- Soy sauce. A tablespoon is only 10 calories, but has a full gram of salt. The low-sodium stuff has about half that, but that’s still a lot. Most people aren’t supposed to get more than two-and-a-half grams of sodium a day.
- Ketchup. The tomatoes are good for you, but that’s about it. And there’s a ton of added salt and sugar. One tablespoon has about 20 calories. But most people use more than that, and it’s usually with something bad for you, like French fries.
- Mayonnaise. It’s probably the worst condiment for you, because it’s basically pure fat. One tablespoon has a HUNDRED calories.