- “Motorcycle Riders Day”, an annual celebration of the joys of biking. (Harley-Davidson SFX: http://tinyurl.com/cfoufvx)
ON THIS DATE…………
1878, Vaseline was first sold
1998  76.3 million TV viewers tune in for the series finalé of “Seinfeld” (NBC)
2006  NBC-TV airs series finalé of long-running, award-winning White House drama “The West Wing”
2007, DaimlerChrysler announced that it was selling almost all of Chrysler to the private equity firm of Cerberus Capital Management for $7.4 billion
2011  Country singer Blake Shelton (34) weds country singer Miranda Lambert (27) at Don Strange Ranch in Boerne, Texas before 550 guests, including Cee Lo Green, Charles Kelley (Lady Antebellum), Dierks Bentley, Kelly Clarkson, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, and Trace Adkins (it’s their ‘Fruit or Flowers Anniversary’)
NE Patriots NFL player – Rob Gronkowski (26)
GB Packers player- Clay Matthews (29)
Country star Dustin Lynch (30)
Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg (31)
Star Wars creator – George Lucas (71)
Guy Bought a Dresser at a Yard Sale, Found a Secret Drawer Filled with Jewelry . . .
A 67-year-old guy named Emil Knodell bought an old dresser at a yard sale in Bellville, Texas on Saturday.
It had a marble top, and was around 125 years old. But it was day three of the yard sale, and no one had bought it yet, so the guy selling it marked it down to a hundred bucks.
Then while Emil was moving it with a friend, they tipped it on its side and heard something jingling around. They checked the three main drawers, but didn’t see anything. Then they realized there was a SECRET drawer at the bottom.
And when they opened it up, it was FILLED with jewelry, diamonds, cash, and some old Civil War memorabilia.
It’s not clear how much it’s all worth, because Emil didn’t have it appraised . . . he immediately got on the phone, and called the guy he bought it from to RETURN it.
He says paying a hundred bucks for the dresser was already a deal, and THAT’S what he bought. So he wouldn’t have felt right keeping the stuff he found inside.
The guy running the yard sale says the dresser originally belonged to his grandparents, and he had no idea there was a secret drawer.
– The NY Daily News claims unopened boxes of Wheaties, with Bruce Jenner on the cover, are selling for $255 on eBay
– A pair of Bruce Jenner’s signed running shoes are selling on eBay for $7,900.Bruce Jenner action figures are going for $1,250
– Hollywoodlife.com claims another American Pie movie may be in the works. It could be set in Vegas
– The X Files will return to Fox on January 24th
– People claims a 1955 Pablo Picasso painting entitled “Les Femmes d’Alger (Type O)” was auctioned off for $179 million on Monday. It is the highest price ever for a painting sold at an auction. The winning bid was placed by an anonymous collector
– Newser claims Matthew McConaughey will give the commencement address at the University of Houston on Friday. He is making $135,000 for his speech. UH is paying $9,500 for Matthew’s private jet
Guy Breaks a Car Window to Save an Overheating Dog . . . and Is Arrested
Michael Hammons of Athens, Georgia is an Army veteran who served in Desert Storm. And he was in the parking lot of a shopping center on Saturday when he saw a small dog locked inside a car. It was REALLY hot out and the dog was struggling.
So Michael used his wife’s wheelchair to smash one of the windows and got the dog out. Then he took it into the shade and gave it some water.
As he was tending to it, the dog’s owner came out . . . 22-year-old Elantra Cunningham. And when she found her car window smashed, she freaked out.
The cops came to the scene and Elantra was cited for leaving her dog in the car . . . but she decided to PRESS CHARGES against Michael.
So . . . he was arrested for trespassing. Apparently under Georgia state law, it’s illegal to break a window to rescue an animal . . . but the police say they wouldn’t have made the charges on their own.
He’s facing up to a YEAR in prison . . . meanwhile Elantra is facing up to a $250 fine and some community service.
- Honey Nut Cheerios don’t contain any nuts . . . they use a fake almond flavor that mostly comes from processed peach pits.
- BeforeKurt Vonnegut was an author, he established one of the first Saab dealerships in U.S. in 1957 . . . but it failed in less than a year.
- Candy canes were invented in 1670 in Germany to help keep kids quiet in church . . . the tops are curved so they look like a shepherd’s staff.
- Nathan Lane, Steve Buscemi, and David Alan Grier all auditioned to be George on “Seinfeld”.
Find Out What Your Name Would Be If You Were Born Today
“Time” magazine has a new feature that’s pretty cool. It figures out what you’d be named if you were born TODAY. And no, it doesn’t just spit out “Emma” for women and “Aiden, Brayden, or Jaden” for men.
Here’s how it works. It looks up the popularity of your name from the year you were born, then shows you what name is currently ranked in that spot today.
So if you were born in 1977 and your name is Benjamin, that was the 29th most popular name that year. If your parents gave you the 29th most popular name TODAY, it would be Christopher.
It also shows you what your name would’ve been in other decades. So you would’ve been Luis in the 2000s . . . Travis in the 1990s . . . Carl in the 1950s . . . Theodore in the 1910s . . . Elmer in the 1900s . . . and, coincidentally, Benjamin in the 1890s.
You can check it out yourself . . . go to country 929 dot com under our blogs
STEVEN TYLER DEBUTS ‘LOVE IS YOUR NAME’ – (05/14/2015)
Everyone’s buzzing about this season’s American Idol winner, Nick Fradiani, but the other big news coming from last night’s (Wednesday, May 13th) finale is Steven Tyler‘s live performance debut of his very first Country single, “Love Is Your Name.”
The rock legend discovered the song after performing a couple tunes at the famous Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, and as he explains, “the rest will be history.” [“Country music means so much to me because it’s the first records I ever sang along with and that would be The Everly Brothers who first opened up my eyes to start singing way back at the age of nine. My inspiration for ‘Love Is Your Name’ came when I was invited to The Bluebird Cafe with Marti Frederiksen who I wrote ‘Jaded’ with to perform that song and another little diddy I wrote called ‘Dream On’ on the piano and after we were done this beautiful young lady sat down and did a song called ‘Love Is Your Name.’ Well, I fell in love with it that night and a guy comes up to the table introduced himself as Scott Borchetta, said he had this big label in Nashville. And I said ‘you know that’s been on the back burner of mine for years is to do a country record.’ So I joined up with him and the rest is gonna be history.”] SOUNDCUE (:50 OC: . . . gonna be history.)
There is no word yet on when fans can expect Steven’s first solo Country album.
In the meantime, he continues touring with Aerosmith, playing a show on Saturday (May 16th) in Glendale, Arizona.