- “Adopt a Shelter Pet Day”, an annual event encouraging the adoption of strays. On a sadder note, the SPCA observes a moment of silence for the thousands of dogs and cats euthanized each year because they are unable to find homes.
- “Canada Revenue Agency Tax Filing Deadline”. Tonight at midnight is the deadline for filing a 2014 income tax return.
ON THIS DATE………..
1808, the typewriter was invented
1952, Mr. Potato Head became the first toy to be advertised on TV
1993, a Steffi Graf fan stabbed fellow tennis star Monica Seles in the back during a match in Hamburg, Germany
2005, the ‘Runaway Bride’, Jennifer Wilbanks, turned up in Albuquerque, N.M., .. she made headlines after claiming to have been abducted
Glee star Dianna Agron (29)
Actress – Kirsten Dunst (33)
NASCAR star Elliott Sadler (40)
 Stephen Harper, Canada’s 22nd Prime Minister (2006-present)/leader of the Conservative Party of Canada (2004-present)
CHARLIE BIT ME
Remember the “Charlie Bit Me” video that went viral in 2007? It’s the one where a baby latches onto his brother’s finger, and then laughs at him when he says it hurt. Well, Charlie Davies-Carr is nine years old now and lives in England . . . his older brother Harry is 11 . . . and neither of them get why people love it so much.
They just did an interview with the BBC, and said their dad only posted it on YouTube, because the file was too big to email people. And they both think it’s weird it’s gotten so many hits. In eight years, it’s picked up 815 MILLION views. And if you don’t count music videos, it’s the most popular viral video ever. 29 of the top 30 things on YouTube are music videos, and the “Charlie Bit Me” video is number 11.
“Gangnam Style” is number one with 2.3 billion views. (Here are Charlie and Harry talking about how they don’t understand why the video is so big, and their dad, Howard, talking about the whole phenomenon.)
A Guy Who Was Abandoned as a Baby Got to Meet the Cop Who Saved His Life
A 25-year-old guy named Robin Barton was abandoned as a baby in 1989. His mom left him behind a dumpster in Santa Ana, California right after he was born, and she got three years in prison for it.
Luckily he survived because a cop named Michael Buelna heard him crying, and saved his life. Then he actually tried to adopt him, but he went to a couple in Orange County instead.
Michael never stopped thinking about him though, and decided to track him down recently. They got together last week for lunch, and that’s when Robin learned they have something else in common.
It turns out Michael was ALSO abandoned as a kid. His mom ran off when he was a toddler, and he spent 20 years tracking her down. And Robin told him he’s looking for HIS birth mother too.
He says he wants her to know he forgives her for what she did, because she was only 19 years old and in a bad situation. And Michael says he’s going to use his connections as a former cop to help Robin find her.
– A Picasso painting, named “Les Femmes d’Alger”, is going to be auctioned off in May. The 1955 piece shows women in a harem and is expected to sell for $140 million.
– Fox Sports has hired banned baseball legend Pete Rose as a studio analyst
– Digital Spy claims Denzel Washington is doing a sequel to ”The Equalizer”. The film earned $192 million at the box office last year
– CBS is sending David Letterman off with a primetime special called ‘David Letterman: A Life on Television’. Ray Romano will host the show on May 4th. It will include Dave’s
– The TV network FYI is producing a new series called ”The Seven Year Switch”. Couples will place their marriage on hold while they separate and shack up with other partners for several weeks
– The NY Daily News claims unopened boxes of Wheaties, with Bruce Jenner on the cover, are selling for $255 on eBay
– A pair of Bruce Jenner’s signed running shoes are selling on eBay for $7,900.Bruce Jenner action figures are going for $1,250
– Iowa’s Department of Administrative Services building was evacuated on Monday after someone burned a bowl of mac and cheese in the cafeteria microwave. Smoke was everywhere. No one was injured
★ Today costumes from 1965 movie classic “The Sound of Music” are expected to fetch over $850,000 at a Nate D Sanders auction in Los Angeles CA. 7 items from the Oscar-winning musical, including 3 dresses, 2 sets of lederhosen, a sweater, and shorts, are the main attraction. In the movie, Julie Andrews’ character fashions the outfits for the von Trapp family children using old drapes. The outfits are, in fact, made of actual curtain fabric. Costume designer Dorothy Jeakins was nominated for her efforts at the 1966 Oscars.
A video of a brother and sister freaking out when they got a Nintendo 64 for Christmas went viral back in 2006. Since then it’s racked up over 20 million hits. The two kids in it were a nine-year-old named Brandon Kuzma, and his six-year-old sister Rachel. It was actually shot in 1998, so they’re both adults now. And they just recreated the video for a new Taco Bell commercial. It’s the two of them sitting in a living room, just like the original. But instead of getting a Nintendo 64, they go nuts when they get a new oversized quesadilla they’re selling called a Steak DoubleDilla.
A Woman Is Fired From Her Daycare Job Before Her First Day
27-year-old Kaitlyn Walls is a single mom from Dallas, Texas. Earlier this month, she got a job working at a daycare.
But the morning before she started, she posted on Facebook, quote, “I start my new job today, but I absolutely hate working at daycare.” Her new bosses saw it . . . and FIRED her before she could even start. Then a mob of angry mothers on Facebook found out what she’d written and started attacking her, so she tried to clarify, quote, “Lol, it’s all good, I just really hate being around a lot of kids.”
That’s really not an improvement . . . it might actually be worse.
Kaitlyn says she realizes that she shouldn’t have vented about her job before she started . . . and if she DOES have issues in the future, she’s not going to put them on Facebook. Quote, “I’m not going to post anything . . . no matter how I feel.”
12-Year-Old Girl Got Kicked Out Of School Because She Was Too Busy “Beating Cancer”
For the past 3 years 12-year-old Rose McGrath of Battle Creek, Michigan has been battling acute lymphoblastic leukemia. The treatment for which is continuous intensive chemotherapy.
Thankfully for Rose and her family, the cancer is finally in remission so Rose was eager to return to a normal life after cancer, but that all changed when she received a letter stating she was being dismissed from St. Joseph Middle School.
Citing attendance and academic performance reasons, the school Rose attended her entire life felt they could no longer keep Rose as a student despite the fact that she was on track to pass her core classes.
Father John Fleckenstein of the Battle Creek Area Catholic Schools commented on the situation
According to Fleckenstein: “These were extraordinary circumstances, but so many accommodations were made we felt eventually it became a point where we really had to help Rose, by being able to make sure that she was getting the assistance that she needed and to learn.” The school wrote in a letter addressed to Rose’s father that officials worked with her, but absences “hampered her academic performance.” “We know Rose to be an intelligent and thoughtful child, and believe she would be well-suited to enroll in an academic setting more geared to home-bound students”
And with six weeks of classes left in the year, the 12-year-old has been forced to transfer to a public school. “She was kicked out of there, so I had to find something,” said Barbara McGrath. “And there’s really only two schools to pick from.”
She also said officials with St. Joseph Catholic Middle School have invited the seventh-grader to return, but it’s not clear when and they would want to meet first to discuss it furter. Meanwhile, McGrath’s daughter Rose will have her first day at her new school on Monday.
• “Beauty & The Beast” – Ewan McGregor is in negotiations to play the role of ‘Lumiere’ in Disney’s upcoming live-action adaptation, meaning he could have one of the movie’s most memorable songs if “Be Our Guest” returns from the 1991 animated film. The cast already includes Emma Watson & Luke Evans. Filming begins in May; the film’s due in 2017.
- “The Big Short” – Marisa Tomei has just joined Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, and Steve Carell in director Adam McKay’s Wall Street drama now shooting in New Orleans LA. It’s an adaptation of Michael Lewis’ best-seller “The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine”. Brad Pitt, who is producing the pic, is also appearing onscreen in a supporting role.
- “The Other Half” – “Orphan Black” star Tatiana Maslany & real-life boyfriend, “Downton Abbey” actor Tom Cullen, have been cast in writer-director Joey Klein’s debut feature. The story centers on a bipolar woman who falls in love with a grief-stricken man, with whom she struggles to forge a simple life. The Canadian indie film begins shooting in Toronto ON this July.
- “Rogue One” – More details have been revealed about the upcoming “Star Wars” spin-off movie, which will star actress Felicity Jones (“The Theory of Everything”). The film, set between the events of “Revenge Of the Sith” and “A New Hope”, centers around a band of resistance fighters on a daring mission to steal ‘Death Star’ plans. It’s due for release December 16, 2016.
- “Target Churchill” – 74-year-old Michael Gambon (‘Dumbledore’ in “Harry Potter” films) has landed the role of Britain’s legendary WW2 prime minister. The film follows a fictionalized plot whereby Soviet leader Joseph Stalin attempts to have Winston Churchill assassinated before he can make his famous ‘Iron Curtain’ speech in 1946. The project is still in development.
Anna Kendick is Upset that the President’s Daughter in “Independence Day” Is Being Replaced for the Sequel
MAE WHITMAN played BILL PULLMAN’s daughter in the original “Independence Day”. Since then she’s built up a decent career, with roles in “Parenthood” and “Arrested Development” . . . and voiceover work in the seven Disney Fairies movies as the voice of Tinkerbell.
She was also in “The Duff”. She even PLAYED the DUFF . . . which stands for “Designated Ugly Fat Friend”. And that might be why she wasn’t even considered for the upcoming “Independence Day” sequel.
Because even though she’s actually an attractive girl, the producers went with MAIKA MONROE, a much more conventionally pretty blonde who was in the horror movie “It Follows”.
The “Hollywood Reporter” says Mae never even made the short list to reprise her role. But producers DID look at other sexy blondes. The character will be a love interest for LIAM HEMSWORTH.
A lot of people are uncool with this, including ANNA KENDRICK, who worked with Mae in “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World”. She tweeted, quote, “What the actual [blank]? Mae is talented as hell, and JUST proved she can carry a film. Smh.”