- “Biological Clock Day”, saluting our internal biological clock or Circadian Rhythm, which helps our bodies adapt to the daily cycle of day and night as the Earth rotates.
- “International Workers Memorial Day”, a worldwide day of remembrance and action for workers killed, disabled, injured, or made unwell by their work.
- “School Bus Drivers Day”, observed annually on the 4th Tuesday of April to honor
those who transport our kids efficiently and safely in a big yellow machine.
ON THIS DATE…………….
1919, the first successful parachute jump was made .
1967, Muhammad Ali, whose real name was Cassius Clay, refused to join the United States Army
2001  US millionaire Dennis Tito becomes ’1st Space Tourist’, paying $12 million-plus to spend 8 days aboard a Russian Soyuz mission carrying supplies to International Space Station
2003, Apple Computer’s iTunes Music Store launched and sold more than 1 million songs in its first week ..
2011, Phillip Garrido and his wife, Nancy, plead guilty to kidnapping Jaycee Dugard, who was abducted in California in 1991 at age 11 and rescued 18 years later
Actress – Jessica Alba (34)
Actress – Penelope Cruz (41)
Jay Leno (65)
WEB FIND OF THE DAY – WELL THAT’S USING YOUR HEAD
An Outfielder Caught a Baseball After it Bounced Off Another Player’s Head
A high school baseball player in Mississippi dove for a ball in center field last week, and missed it.
But it hit him in the HEAD . . . bounced about 40 feet through the air . . . and the left fielder CAUGHT it.
Then he threw it to second base for a double play.
Football player’s sweet promposal for special needs friend
Luis Velasquez is a Texas high school student and he created arguably the sweetest promposal ever. For those unfamiliar with the term, a “promposal” is when students ask each other to prom, most of the time in elaborate ways.
It was the thoughtfulness behind the way he asked that will pull at your heartstrings.
Tiffany is a special-needs student at the high school. Luis decided to ask Tiffany to prom and went as far as to ask her grandparents for permission. He even got the school principal to help out.
Luis’ mom Jessica said Tiffany has liked Luis for a long time she’s baked cookies for Luis on holidays and they’ve been friends since 7th grade.
During a practice fire drill, Luis had students line a sidewalk with a large sign spelling out “P-R-O-M?” for Tiffany. He also had roses in her favorite colors (pink and blue) and her favorite song play: Bruno Mars’ “Just the Way You Are.”
If that’s not kind enough, Luis comforted a visibly overwhelmed Tiffany as he led her down the sidewalk. Luis’ mom said she, her husband, and Tiffany’s grandparents are working to make sure prom night is one Tiffany will always remember.
“He came to me and said, ‘Mom, I want to ask Tiffany to prom because she’s a good person and she deserves it,” Luis’ mom said. Since the video was posted, Jessica said people throughout the community have been reaching out with offers to help make the day great.
– Fox Sports has hired banned baseball legend Pete Rose as a studio analyst
– Digital Spy claims Denzel Washington is doing a sequel to ”The Equalizer”. The film earned $192 million at the box office last year
– CBS is sending David Letterman off with a primetime special called ‘David Letterman: A Life on Television’. Ray Romano will host the show on May 4th. It will include Dave’s
– The Naples, Florida police recently arrested David Durham for breaking into several cars. His mugshot showed him wearing a shirt that said: “Warning: I do dumb things”
– The TV network FYI is producing a new series called ”The Seven Year Switch”. Couples will place their marriage on hold while they separate and shack up with other partners for several weeks
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
Out today on DVD, Netflix, Google Play and/or other video providers …
• “The Boy Next Door” ( R-Rated Thriller ): Jennifer Lopez stars as a woman who, shortly after finalizing her divorce, falls for a younger man who has just moved in across the street. Things get complicated when their torrid affair takes an obsessive, dangerous turn.
- “The Gambler” ( R-Rated Crime Thriller ): A literature professor who’s also a hopelessly addicted gambler has to borrow money from his mother and a loan shark. Further complicating his situation is his relationship with one of his students. Stars Mark Wahlberg, Jessica Lange, John Goodman, Brie Larson.
- “Inherent Vice” ( R-Rated Crime Drama ): Joaquin Phoenix stars in this adaptation of the 2009 Thomas Pynchon novel about a drug-addled detective who becomes immersed in a number of mysteries in 1969 Los Angeles. Co-stars Josh Brolin, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon, and Benicio Del Toro.
- “Paddington” ( PG Family Comedy ): A young Peruvian bear finds himself lost and alone at London’s Paddington Station, where he meets the kindly ‘Brown’ family who offer him a home. Stars Hugh Bonneville (“Downton Abbey”), Sally Hawkins, Julie Walters. Based on the Michael Bond children’s books.
- “The Wedding Ringer” ( R-Rated Comedy ): Josh Gad plays a socially awkward groom-to-be with no best man lined up for his wedding. With less than 2 weeks to go until he marries the girl of his dreams (“Big Bang Theory” actress Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting), he runs into the owner of ‘Best Man Inc’ (Kevin Hart), a company that provides flattering best men for guys in need.
Guy Tries to Rob a Bank For the Second Time . . . While a Cop Is There
27-year-old Tyler Trammell of Phoenix, Arizona robbed a bank inside a Walmart earlier this month . . . and he might’ve gotten away with it if he’d just targeted ANY other bank for his next robbery.
But he didn’t. On Friday, he went back to the bank in the Walmart to rob it again.
And . . . he happened to go JUST when a detective was there investigating his FIRST robbery.
The detective immediately recognized Tyler from the security footage and followed him outside. While Tyler tried desperately to hail a getaway cab, the cop arrested him.
Tyler said he kept going back because he, quote, “needed money because this country is so messed up.”
DRIVING PET PEEVES
94% of drivers say tailgating is their biggest driving pet peeve.
72% of people have been tailgated. More findings from a survey by Michelin:
– 91% of drivers hate people, who zip from lane to lane without signaling
– 85% of people hate drivers, who don’t use their turn signal
– 36% of people despise slow left lane drivers
– 70% of drivers have flipped another driver off
– 40% of drivers have been verbally abused by another driver.
EXERCISE IS NOT THE KEY?
A new editorial in the “British Journal of Sports Medicine” by 3 international experts say it’s time to bust the myth about exercise … physical activity, they say, has little role in tackling obesity.
Instead public health messages should focus squarely on unhealthy eating. While activity has a role in staving off diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and dementia, its impact on obesity is minimal. Excess sugar and carbohydrates are the key.
Bottom line: An obese person does not need to do one iota of exercise to lose weight; they just need to eat less. Critics say the article appears to undermine evidence-based government public health advice, and it’s “idiotic” to rule out the importance of physical activity. – BBC Health
- Coffee beans aren’t actually beans . . . they’re a seed that people just call “beans.”
- HBO passed on “The Walking Dead” because they thought it was too violent.
- Chameleons don’t change colors so they can blend into their surroundings and hide from predators. They change colors based on their moods to send signals to other chameleons.
- Lyman Ward and Cindy Pickett played Ferris Bueller’s parents in “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”. They met on the set . . . and wound up getting married for real. They got divorced six years later.