- “Earth Day”, the 45th anniversary of the international celebration of the planet we all call home. Begun in 1970, it’s now the largest environmental event worldwide. Last year, people in close to 200 countries participated in events that addressed environmental issues.
- “Administrative Professionals Day” (“Secretaries Day” in ancient times), the 63rd annual observance saluting those in the office who do the work in the trenches.
ON THIS DATE……………
1952, an atomic test conducted in Nevada became the first nuclear explosion shown on live TV.
1976, Barbara Walters became network television’s first news anchorwoman when she accepted ABC’s offer to co-anchor the evening news with Harry Reasoner.
1993, Walker, Texas Ranger debuted on CBS
2011  A judge orders actress Lindsay Lohan to 120 days in jail for violating terms of her probation after he’s charged with theft of an expensive necklace from a Venice CA boutique (she serves a few hours of hard time, then files an appeal)
Actress – Amber Heard (29)
NFL Football star Marshawn Lynch (29) – (Seattle Seahawks)
Duck Dynasty star Willie Robertson (43)
Actor – Jack Nicholson (78)
***APP CHALLENGE – FOR EARTH DAY SEND US A PIC OF YOUR “EARTH”***
WEB FIND OF THE DAY
Baseball Got Stuck in a Pitcher’s Glove, So He Threw the Entire Thing to First Base
Jon Lester of the Cubs pitched against the Padres yesterday, and snagged a hard ground ball in the second inning. But he couldn’t throw it to first because the ball was STUCK in the webbing of his glove.
So instead . . . he just threw the entire GLOVE. And it worked. The Cubs ended up losing 5 to 2 though.
– RADAR Online claims Julia Roberts is selling her Hawaii home for $30 million
– Nike has sold $340 million worth of LeBron James shoes in the past year. That’s up 13% from the prior year
– A Picasso painting, named “Les Femmes d’Alger”, is going to be auctioned off in May. The 1955 piece shows women in a harem and is expected to sell for $140 million.
– Matt Lauer and Ellen DeGeneres continue to prank one another. He bought three billboards in L.A. advertising ‘Ellen’s Plumbing Service’ and the number 1-844-Ellen-4-U
– Fox Sports has hired banned baseball legend Pete Rose as a studio analyst
– 120-lb competitive eater Molly Schuyler has set another record by wolfing down three 72-ounce steak dinners in 20 minutes. And there was more than just beef involved … also 3 baked potatoes, 3 shrimp cocktails, 3 salads, and 3 rolls. She accomplished the ferocious feat at The Big Texan restaurant in Amarillo TX. The mother of 4 finished her first steak in 4 minutes,18 seconds, beating her own previous record. She says she may be back again next year. Quote: “Four steaks is totally doable, but 5 is almost unattainable.”
An Army Dad Surprised His Son by Photobombing Him on Picture Day
Corporal James Bass has been stationed in Kuwait for the past few months, but got to come home last week. And he surprised his eight-year-old son Joshua by showing up on picture day at his school . . . and photobombing him.
Cops Search a Guy’s House and Can’t Find Him . . . Until He Posts His Hiding Place
Police in Fairfield, Maine spent weeks trying to track down a 24-year-old named Christopher Wallace, who stole a bunch of stuff from a campsite back in January.
Then Sunday night, he sent a Snapchat to his friends saying he was at his house.
At least two of those friends reported it to the cops, who showed up and searched the place, but couldn’t find him.
But while they were there, he sent ANOTHER Snapchat, bragging that the cops couldn’t find him . . . because he picked a great hiding spot in a kitchen cabinet.
Dispatch immediately got more calls about the message, and the cops who were still at his house opened one of the cabinets . . . and saw his feet sticking out.
Now he’s facing charges for burglary and theft.
Wagner family grateful after second twin gets liver transplant
A three-year-old girl from Kingston, Ont., has received a liver transplant two months after her twin sister underwent the same surgery to combat a potentially fatal genetic disorder.
Binh’s twin sister, Phuoc, returned home from hospital last month after receiving part of her father Michael Wagner’s liver but he was unable to donate to both and said it was agonizing.
When Michael and his wife Johanne found out that both girls would need a liver transplant, they were relieved to find out that he was a perfect match.
However, he was only able to give a portion of his liver to just one of his daughters, leaving him with an impossible choice.
In the end, doctors suggested giving the donation to daughter Phuoc, since she needed it the most. They had the surgery on February 10, and it has so far been a success.
The girls suffer from a genetic disorder that affects vital organs and can be fatal.
The family says that Binh is “recovering well, at her own pace,” despite experiencing “very different medical issues” than her sister. Phuoc, meanwhile, has managed to sleep without her feeding pump.
Johanne and Michael talked about the donation at a Sick Kids press conference.
High School SENIOR:
A 103 year-old woman has just graduated from high school. Marie Hunt, of Spring Green, Wisconsin, should have graduated in 1928. Instead, she earned her diploma 87 years later.
Hunt dropped out after eighth grade because she didn’t have a ride to school. She spent her high school years raising her eight younger siblings.
Hunt tells People: “It’s something I always wanted to do. And I didn’t have the opportunity to go and now, 100 years later, here I am!”
She is now considering attending college.
• “Beyond Deceit” – Screenwriter Shintaro Shimosawa has scored an all-star line-up for his directorial debut. Josh Duhamel plays a lawyer who takes on a big case against a ruthless pharmaceutical company boss, played by Anthony Hopkins. The cast also includes Al Pacino, Alice Eve, Julia Styles, and Malin Akerman. Shooting is now under way in New Orleans LA.
- “Mallrats 2″ – Filmmaker Kevin Smith has announced a sequel to his 1995 romantic comedy which starred Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, Jeremy London, and Shannen Doherty. It was actually a prequel to his 1994 film “Clerks”. The films both flopped at the box office but have since achieved cult status. The follow-up film doesn’t go into production until May 2016.
- “Patriots’ Day” – Mark Wahlberg is set to produce and star in this feature film about the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing and the city-wide manhunt that followed. Wahlberg plays Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis, who supervised the search that led to the killing of one suspect and the arrest of another. The film will benefit from research done by Michael Radutzky, senior producer at “60 Minutes” (CBS), who aired a memorable segment right after the bombing.
- “Star Trek 3″ – Brit actor Idris Elba is in talks for his biggest role to date, that of the yet-to-be-named villain in the new “Star Trek” installment, to be directed by Justin Lin. The primary cast of Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana, and Anton Yelchin are all confirmed to return. The film is slated to open July 8, 2016.