- “Bat Appreciation Day”, a day to generate positive awareness about bats ahead of possible negative interactions with people after their Winter-long hibernation.
- “Haiku Poetry Day”, a celebration of the genre of poetry whose origins date back a millennium in Japan; and of English-language haiku, which has now been written for more than a century. To create one of these short poems, stick to a syllable pattern of 5-7-5.
ON THIS DATE…………….
1964, Ford placed the Mustang on sale for $2,368
1970, The Apollo 13 astronauts landed safely after their near-disastrous flight
1973, Federal Express delivered its first package
1979  ‘Smallest Crowd’ in Major League Baseball history as just 653 fans show up for an Oakland A’s baseball game
Actress – Jennifer Garner (43)
Former NFL QB now NFL analyst – Boomer Esiason (54)
Guy Lost 270 Pounds, and People Have Donated thousands to Have His Extra Skin Removed
22-year-old Matt Diaz lives in Brooklyn, and used to be a very LARGE dude. When he was 16, he weighed 500 pounds. Then he had lap-band surgery, started working out, and looks totally different now.
In the past six years, he’s lost 270 POUNDS. So he’s right around 200 pounds now . . . and a LOT of that is excess skin from when he was overweight. Which is the reason he’s in the news right now . . . Matt’s been involved with the body-positivity movement for a while, and posts a lot about how you should love yourself no matter WHAT you look like.
But he started feeling like a hypocrite recently, because he’d never shown people what HIS body looked like with all that extra skin.
So he posted his story on Tumblr, with photos of himself shirtless. And now more than 2,300 people have responded . . . by donating over 56 GRAND on GoFundMe.com to have the extra skin surgically removed.
Matt will be meeting with a cosmetic surgeon to get started soon, and plans to have all the extra skin gone by May . . . just in time for summer.
Guy Selling “Legit Counterfeit” Money on Craigslist Is Arrested
It’s baffling that people out there still think the cops don’t monitor Craigslist. I mean, it’s so shady on there that cops could ONLY monitor Craigslist and probably still be pretty effective.
20-year-old Tony Jerome Torbert Jr. of Merritt Island, Florida put a post-up on Craigslist back in February offering, quote, “legit counterfeit” money.
Someone tipped off the cops, and they arranged to buy some of Tony’s fake cash. He sold it to them three different times . . . and they arrested him the fourth time.
He was just charged with possession of counterfeit currency with intent to defraud and he could get up to 20 years in federal prison.
Woman Attacks Her Boyfriend With a Bowl of Raw Eggs
22-year-old Destini Oliver of Palmetto, Florida and her 23-year-old boyfriend Lorenzo Dixon got into an argument on Sunday morning over who was going to cook breakfast.
Things escalated, and Destini ended up picking up a bowl filled with raw eggs and THROWING it at Lorenzo.
He wasn’t hurt . . . but when the cops got there they DID see eggs dripping down the wall and a couch.
Destini was arrested for misdemeanor battery.
– RADAR Online claims Julia Roberts is selling her Hawaii home for $30 million
– Nike has sold $340 million worth of LeBron James shoes in the past year. That’s up 13% from the prior year
– A Picasso painting, named “Les Femmes d’Alger”, is going to be auctioned off in May. The 1955 piece shows women in a harem and is expected to sell for $140 million.
★ Fresh off their season premieres this week, HBO has announced that it’s renewing comedy shows “Veep” and “Silicon Valley”. “Veep”, which has garnered Julia Louis-Dreyfus 3 consecutive Emmys, is getting a 5th term in office. “Silicon Valley”, set among a group of misfits running a tech startup, is renewed for a 3rd season. The 2 half-hour comedies coupled with “Game of Thrones” and “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” have given HBO a stellar Sunday night lineup. – Variety.com
– Mashable says Activision is bringing back Guitar Hero Live. The game’s animation is being replaced with live bands and live crowds that were shot in first-person mode
WEEKEND SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “ACM Awards” (CBS) – Sunday the 50th annual Academy of Country Music Awards, hosted by Blake Shelton & Luke Bryan (for the 3rd time) from AT&T Stadium in Arlington TX. A few highlights …
– Miranda Lambert leads nominations with 8, followed by Dierks Bentley with 7. She’s won a record 5 consecutive ACM and CMA ‘Female Vocalist Of the Year’ awards.
– Cole Swindell, Sam Hunt, Thomas Rhett are up fo ‘New Artist Of the Year’.
– Performers include Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley, Brooks & Dunn, Eric Church, Florida Georgia Line, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Jason Aldean, Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, Rascal Flatts, and Reba McIntire.
- “Reba & Friends Outnumber Hunger” (CMT) – Reba’s the spokesperson for the 4th annual Outnumber Hunger campaign, which has provided over 35 million meals for people facing hunger. Tonight’s kick-off concert, also featuring Eli Young Band, Florida Georgia Line, Rascal Flatts, and Tim McGraw, airs Saturday on CMT
TODAY’S MOVIE OPENINGS:
• “Child 44″ ( R-Rated Drama ): “The Dark Knight Rises” co-stars Tom Hardy & Gary Oldman reunite in this dark tale about a disgraced member of the Russian military police who is investigating a series of nasty child murders during the Stalin-era Soviet Union. Co-stars Noomi Rapace, Joel Kinnaman. Shot in the Czech Republic.
• “Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2″ ( PG Action Comedy ): In this sequel to the 2009 comedy hit, security guard ‘Blart’ visits Las Vegas for a vacation with his teenage daughter before she heads off to college. But safety never takes a holiday and when duty calls, ‘Blart’ answers! Stars Kevin James, Raini Rodriguez, Eduardo Verástegui, Daniella Alonso.
• “True Story” ( R-Rated Mystery Thriller ): For once James Franco & Jonah Hill play serious. The story follows the cat-and-mouse interplay between a disgraced “New York Times” reporter and an accused killer who has taken on his identity. Co-stars Felicity Jones, Ethan Suplee, Gretchen Mol.
An actor named Jamie Costa paid tribute to Robin Williams by posting a video of himself doing 20 pretty great impersonations of him. The video is actually a compilation of some of his impersonations from Vine. Some of the different impressions include “Mrs. Doubtfire”, the Genie from “Aladdin”, Mork from “Mork & Mindy”, and Sean Maguire from “Good Will Hunting”.
Guy Moved Across the Country to Be With His Online Girlfriend After Two Years
26-year-old Samuel Campbell of Adger, Alabama met a girl online about two years ago . . . 24-year-old Haley Fox of Turner, Oregon. They started a full-on relationship . . . even though they’d never met in person.
But Samuel finally decided to step things up last week, and moved across the country to be with Haley. They met each other face-to-face for the first time last Wednesday, at her house.
When he got there, she invited him to sit down at a table outside, gave him some wine, and told him to close his eyes. And when he did . . . she proceeded to BASH him in the head with a BASEBALL BAT.
She hit him in the back of the head THREE TIMES with a metal bat. He wound up with a fractured skull and a gash so big it needed 18 staples.
Haley told the cops she decided she didn’t want to be with Samuel after all . . . apparently she figured the best way to get that message across would be by attacking him? She’s been charged with assault.
Great-grandmother, 92, hits mugger with mobility scooter
A 92-year-old woman has told how she saved her 75-year-old friend from a mugger by ramming
him with her mobility scooter.
Eileen Mason and Margaret Seabrook were on their way back from a lunch club meeting when the thief struck from behind a fence.
He saw the contents of Ms Seabrook’s basket, mounted on the front of her scooter, before grabbing Ms Mason by the arm and reaching for her carrier bag. Ms Mason shouted and hit the accelerator of her scooter.
The would-be thief was knocked to the ground before the great-grandmothers, both of Swindon, Wiltshire, sped off.
Ms Mason – who has four children, 10 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren – said: “We went through the war and all the bombings. We won’t let a weasel like that hold us back. I would stand up for myself again if I needed to, but hopefully I won’t need to. We will carry on as normal though – he hasn’t put us off.”
Mother-of-three Ms Seabrook, who has eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren said: “They were obviously targeting us because they thought we’d be an easy target – he was wrong.
“We’re just so surprised by the response we’ve had. We just want to warn people not to leave things on display in their baskets, put it in the back or leave it on your lap, hidden by a coat.”
- The Secret Service wasn’t protectingAbraham Lincoln the night he was shot, because he’d just signed the bill CREATING them . . . right before he headed out to Ford’s Theater.
- There was a Lexus model that still came standard with a cassette deck in 2010 . . . they finally got rid of it for their 2011 edition.
- When Outback Steakhouse was started in Tampa in 1988, none of its four founders had ever been to Australia.
- The Mexican flag has more colors than any other flag in the world . . . it’s got 16, thanks to the coat of arms in the center.
- Only two athletes have ever had their numbers retired across the entire league . . . Jackie Robinson’s number 42 is retired in all of Major League Baseball, and Wayne Gretzky’s number 99 is retired across the National Hockey League.