- “Gripers’ Day”, …
– When a search engine or Wikipedia asks you, “Did you mean …?” No, I meant what I typed!– When you open a can of soup and the lid falls in.
– The lingering scent of perfume or cologne after someone stinky leaves a room.
– Work colleagues with coffee breath. Ick.
- “Rubber Eraser Day”, honoring English chemist Joseph Priestley’s 1770 discovery that a small cube of latex could be used to correct mistakes. He coined the word ‘eraser’.
ON THIS DATE………..
1924, Rand McNally published its first road atlas.
1947, Jackie Robinson became baseball’s first black major league player when he debuted with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
1955, the very first McDonalds opened in Des Plaines, Illinois ..
1983, Flashdance opened in movie theaters
2013, the Boston Marathon bombing occurred
2014  A total lunar eclipse occurs, producing a ‘Blood Moon’ (when the Earth casts its shadow on a Full Moon and eclipses it, the Moon may get a red glow)
Actress – Maisie Williams, – (Arya Stark on HBO’s Game of Thrones) – (18)
Actress – Harry Potter star Emma Watson (25)
Actor – Seth Rogen (33) (Fast Fact: At the age of 14, with his friend Evan Goldberg, he co-wrote Superbad)
H.S. track star finds pretty awesome way to ask someone to prom
Mikey Brannigan of Northport High School on Long Island, N.Y., was Sports Illustrated’s February High School Athelete of the Month.
The honor meant Mikey was featured in an issue of SI, and he cleverly used his newfound celebrity in an awesome way: to ask someone to prom.
As his mom told SI.com, Mikey and his indoor track team were at a pizza party and there were several copies of his SI issue on hand. He was autographing the magazines for his teammates and when he got to a sophomore named Rachel, he took the plunge.
Mikey was smooth about it — when he signed it, he didn’t say anything and closed the magazine. It wasn’t until after Rachel got home that she read the autograph, and she and her parents were overjoyed with excitement. When she saw Mikey at school on Monday she delivered the good news that she would indeed go with him.
The two are now excitedly getting ready for prom night in June, which is sure to be a big day for both.
Woman Met Her Daughter 49 Years After Being Told She Died at Birth
76-year-old Zella Jackson-Price lives outside St. Louis. Back in 1965, she was told by a nurse that her daughter didn’t survive after she was born premature. And obviously it’s something she’s never gotten over.
But a 49-year-old woman in Oregon named Melanie Gilmore recently got in touch to tell her that might NOT be the case.
Melanie was put up for adoption when she was a baby, and last year her kids decided to track down their biological grandparents . . . which led them to Zella.
Once Melanie got in touch, they got DNA tests . . . and it turned out Melanie WAS Zella’s daughter. They finally got to meet in person last Thursday.
It’s still not clear what happened the day Melanie was born . . . Zella is hiring a lawyer to find out. Also, Melanie went deaf when she was three years old because of the measles, which Zella says wouldn’t have happened if SHE’D been taking care of her.
But for now, they’re both just happy to be in each other’s lives.
– RADAR Online claims Julia Roberts is selling her Hawaii home for $30 million
– Warner Brothers is planning to remake “Gremlins”
– Nike has sold $340 million worth of LeBron James shoes in the past year. That’s up 13% from the prior year
– A Picasso painting, named “Les Femmes d’Alger”, is going to be auctioned off in May. The 1955 piece shows women in a harem and is expected to sell for $140 million.
– Fox is planning to create a new series based on ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’
– Hillary Clinton is calling her campaign bus ‘The Scooby’. ABC says she stopped at a Chipotle in Maumee, Ohio yesterday. No one recognized Hillary at first because she was wearing sunglasses. She ordered a chicken burrito bowl with guacamole, a chicken salad and two drinks.
– CBS says espresso machines are being sent to the International Space Station this week. Italy’s astronauts requested the machines because they are tired of instant coffee
★ Actor Tom Hanks’ actress-wife Rita Wilson underwent a double mastectomy last week after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. The 58-year-old took temporary medical leave from the Broadway play “Fish In the Dark” in order to undergo the procedure. Wilson has revealed that doctors only found the disease after she asked for a 2nd opinion on results from her annual mammogram scan, which initially came back ‘all clear’. – People.com
★ Fresh off their season premieres this week, HBO has announced that it’s renewing comedy shows “Veep” and “Silicon Valley”. “Veep”, which has garnered Julia Louis-Dreyfus 3 consecutive Emmys, is getting a 5th term in office. “Silicon Valley”, set among a group of misfits running a tech startup, is renewed for a 3rd season. The 2 half-hour comedies coupled with “Game of Thrones” and “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” have given HBO a stellar Sunday night lineup. – Variety.com
GOING NUTS FOR NUTELLA:
Let the frenzy begin! Today Tim Hortons is set to begin seducing customers with the ultimate guilty-pleasure food … Nutella. It’s rolling out Nutella as a spread option as well as 2 new baked goods featuring Nutella. The new menu items include a chocolate-hazelnut doughnut filled with Nutella, pastry pockets filled with Nutella, and even a Nutella spread to slather on bagels. The treats will be available through June 9th in Canada and May 8th-August 18th at US outlets. According to “CBC Marketplace”, 1 tablespoon of Nutella contains approximately 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Man Shot an Armadillo, But the Bullet Ricocheted Off and Hit His Mother-in-Law
54-year-old Larry McElroy of Lee County, Georgia spotted an ARMADILLO in his yard on Sunday night . . . so naturally he grabbed his nine-millimeter pistol to SHOOT it.
But the bullet ricocheted off its shell . . . hit a fence . . . travelled about 100 yards . . . through the door of his 74-year-old mother-in-law’s mobile home . . . into her recliner . . . and nailed her in the BACK.
She was taken to the hospital, and she’s going to recover. But the armadillo wasn’t so lucky . . . he DIED from the shot.
So far it doesn’t look like Larry is going to be facing any charges for accidentally shooting his mother-in-law . . . or killing a harmless armadillo.
THINGS THAT MAKE YA GO HMMM
• 75% of us can’t remember what we got for Christmas.
- 74% of kids surveyed eat the ears off their chocolate Easter bunny first.
- 66% of the people who wear contact lenses every day are women.
- 24% of us say what we look forward to most about self-driving cars is having a designated
- 20% of us admit we’ve never written a thank-you note … ever.
- 15% of us have skipped out on a dental visit because we were afraid.
- Monica Lewinsky hasn’t had a full-time job since she finished her White House internship in 1997.
- The 15 highest grossing movies last year were all remakes, sequels, or adaptations . . . except for the“LEGO Movie”, but some people would count that as an adaptation of a toy. The 16th-highest grossing movie was “Interstellar”, which WAS all original.
- It’s illegal to own a rabbit in Queensland, Australia unless you’re a magician.
- The all-time high temperature in Antarctica is 63 degrees, and it happened last week. The high before that was 62.6 degrees back in 1976.
- During America Online’s peak in the ’90s, half of the CDs being produced in the world were their “Free Trial” discs.