- “April Fool’s Day”. Many say the custom of playing practical jokes on this day originated with the reform of the calendar when “New Year’s Day” was moved from April 1 to January 1. Those who clung to the old “New Year’s Day” were scoffed at as ‘fools’ and sent fake party invitations and prank gifts. That tradition began in France around 1564
– In Scotland, “April Fools Day” runs 48 hours. The 2nd day is called “Taily Day”, dedicated to pranks involving the buttocks. “Taily Day’s” gift to posterity is the ‘Kick Me’ sign
ON THIS DATE……………
1963, General Hospital debuted on daytime television
1967, The Country Music Hall of Fame opened in Nashville
1976, Apple Computers was started when Steve Jobs sold his Volkswagen and Steve Wozniak sold his programmable calculator to buy, build and create a $1,350 computer circuit board
2008, the Kissimmee, Florida police released a 911 call from a woman, who was panicked because she locked herself inside her car. The unidentified victim told the dispatcher, “My car will not start. I’m locked inside my car. Nothing electrical works. And it’s getting very hot in here, and I’m not feeling well.” The woman freed herself by manually pulling the lock on her door.
2009, CBS announced it was canceling Guiding Light after 72 years
Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott (29)
Country star Kip Moore (35)
Singer – Susan Boyle (54)
“Voice” Contestant Meghan Linsey Explains Why She Left Country for Soul
Country fans remember MEGHAN LINSEY as the cute blonde in STEEL MAGNOLIA, the duo she was in with ex-boyfriend Joshua Scott Jones. But people who watch “The Voice” are also experiencing her as a SOUL singer, which is actually where she started out.
She tells “Billboard”, quote, “I grew up in New Orleans, and soul music is my favorite thing to sing. As I go on [“The Voice”] and am in the studio making new music, I really am trying to get back to my roots.
“It’s a good time for me to explore more of that soul side of what I do.”
Meghan knows that some people think it’s unfair for a veteran like her to be on “The Voice”. To that she says, quote, “I’ve heard a comment or two that are like, ‘Oh, she had her shot’ or ‘Her career is over.’
“I’m 29, and I’ve worked so hard and don’t believe in giving up on a dream. I’m grateful that ‘The Voice’ does allow people who’ve had careers to come on the show like this and reintroduce themselves, giving an opportunity for a second chance.”
WEB FINDS OF THE DAY
KID BREAKS UP WEDDING
At a wedding when the Reverend told the couple, “You may now kiss each other as husband and wife.”
A little boy can be heard voicing his disgust about the kiss
TODDLER CLAIMS SHE HASN’T BEEN IN MOM’S MAKE UP
There’s a video of a little girl trying to convince her mom that she didn’t get into her make-up . . but there’s lipstick all over her face, so she was clearly lying.
Eventually she came clean, but the mom had to prod her a little.
NH lawmakers harshly kill 4th-graders’ bill in front of them
CONCORD – Fourth graders from a small town in New Hampshire received a warm welcome at the State House last Thursday. They and their teacher, James Cutting, were guests in the Gallery.
That reception quickly turned chilly as students got a glimpse of the cold, harsh realities of politics.
In the spirit of learning by doing, students drafted a bill to learn the process of how a bill becomes law. They proposed House Bill 373, an act establishing the Red Tail Hawk as the New Hampshire State Raptor. Even though it passed through the Environment and Agriculture committee with a majority vote, some representatives were far from receptive.
Rep. Warren Groen, said, “It grasps them with its talons then uses its razor sharp beak to basically tear it apart limb by limb, and I guess the shame about making this a state bird is it would serve as a much better mascot for Planned Parenthood.”
That comment, considered offensive by many, was made while the fourth graders sat, watched and listened. The tough lesson didn’t end there. Rep. John Burt, said, “Bottom line, if we keep bringing more of these bills, and bills, and bills forward that really I think we shouldn’t have in front of us, we’ll be picking a state hot dog next.”
In a 133-to-160 vote lawmakers killed the bill and perhaps the civic enthusiasm of some 9-and-10-year-olds.
– Ford is planning to produce a $400,000 GT supercar. Only 250 will be made
– Nike has sold $340 million worth of LeBron James shoes in the past year. That’s up 13% from the prior year
– TMZ claims Oprah’s online auction includes a nude painting by Aristide Maillol worth $8,000 to $12,000, a few nude statues worth around $10,000, and a painting of a nude woman by Richard Edward Miller worth $120,000
– The NY Post claims Floyd Mayweather Jr. will earn $180 million for fighting Manny Pacquiao
– A Copenhagen, Denmark McDonald’s has installed a bike drive-thru called the McBike-Thru
– Ellen DeGeneres is going to produce a new NBC docu-series called “First Dates. Each episode will follow several first dates that are happening on the same night at the same restaurant.
– Ticket brokers are selling seats to the Mayweather – Pacquiao fight for $87,000 a piece
OPENING TODAY IN MOVIE THEATERS:
• “Woman in Gold” ( PG-13 Drama ): Oscar-winning actress Helen Mirren stars in the true life story of Maria Altmann, an octogenarian Jewish refugee who takes on several governments to recover artwork she believes rightfully belongs to her family. Co-stars Ryan Reynolds, Daniel Brühl, Katie Holmes.
Yes or B.S.: April Fools’ Pranks That Have Gotten People Arrested
The topic is April Fools’ Day pranks that have gotten people ARRESTED. You have to decide if these are REAL, or made up.
- A woman who worked at a college in South Carolina texted her daughter about a SCHOOL SHOOTING, and said she was hiding from the gunman.
Yes: It happened last year. The daughter called 911, and the cops showed up. The mom was charged with aggravated breach of peace, disrupting a school, and unlawful use of a telephone.
- A 12-year-old in California wanted to prank both of his parents at once. So he put his mom’s jewelry in his dad’s car . . . and pushed into the OCEAN.
B.S. It just sounds like something a punk kid would do.
- A woman in South Dakota was arrested for misusing 911, after she called to complain they were all out of waffles . . . and only serving pancakes.
B.S. Never happened. But a woman did get arrested for reporting a fake ROBBERY at a Waffle House in Virginia on April Fools’ Day two years ago.
- Three guys pranked their friend by robbing his store at GUNPOINT, and running off with a thousand dollars from the register.
Yes: It happened in Israel in 2012. Their biggest mistake was waiting a full HOUR before they went back and told him it was a prank. At that point, the cops were there . . . and the friend did NOT think it was funny.
- A guy stole his friend’s furniture, and planned to be there to tell him it was a joke. But the friend got home early . . . called the cops . . . and got him arrested.
Yes: It happened in the 90’s, and the guy who pulled the prank was Richard Branson, the owner of Virgin Airlines.
He was pranking his business partner. But by the time he told him it was a joke, the guy had filed a police report . . . and Branson spent about 12 hours in a holding cell.
Mom Found Out Her Kids Were Rude to a Woman at a Movie and Tracked Her Down
A woman in Birmingham, Alabama named Kyesha Wood sent her two 13-year-old daughters and her 16-year-old son to see the new “Cinderella” movie last Thursday, and found out her daughters had been rude to the woman in front of them.
It was the SON who ratted them out . . . he said they sat behind a woman who was there with HER daughter, and the girls kept talking and kicking her seat.
When the woman asked them to stop, they just laughed at her. So she explained how her husband had recently lost his job, and the girls were ruining the last movie she’d be able to take her daughter to for a while. But they didn’t care.
Kyesha was LIVID when she heard about it, and posted a long apology on her Facebook page, hoping the woman might see it. Which she DID after it went viral.
Her name is Rebecca Boyd, and Kyesha asked to meet up with her the other day to say sorry. She also made her daughters write an apology letter, and had them use their allowance to pay for Rebecca’s next trip to the movies.
Meanwhile, Rebecca has been pretty gracious about the whole thing. And now her husband is getting JOB offers because of the story.
WAYS YOU’RE USING PRODUCTS WRONG:
✗ You’re supposed to use the little hole in the pop can tab to hold your straw.
✗ You’re supposed to use a ‘flange plunger’ for your toilet and a ‘cup plunger’ for your sink. Yeah we know, you just use the cup plunger for everything.
✗ You’re supposed to push in the tabs on either end of the plastic wrap or aluminum foil box to prevent the roll from coming out.
✗ You’re supposed to use only a dab of toothpaste. And you’re not supposed to rinse after you brush.
✗ You’re supposed to store peanut butter upside down so that the oils distribute evenly.
✗ You’re supposed to peel bananas from the other end, not the stem end.